Hello all.. new and have some questions..

Keystow

Looking for some answers to the hobby and the FAA regulations:

1.) When the regulations state that you can't fly over private property, isn't private property basically anywhere other than your friends 10 acre ranch or AMA required RC field?

2.) Should I even attempt this hobby if such regulations are in place?

3.) I see people asking about FPV units and suggestions on what to use - per the regulations aren't these basically banned?

I really want to get involved in this and make my own as I've done the research on the components but if I can't even fly over the local corn fields as its private property what's the point.

OhHey

Hello and welcome! I have not read any regulations that say you cannot fly over private property but I could be wrong, please advise. As far as FPV goes I am not sure I have read anything about these being banned either. Maybe someone else can chime in here and help with rules and regulations above and beyond what I am aware of. Here is what I have read from the FAA website (https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/). Given these guidelines we still have a lot of freedom to enjoy the hobby. Although there is a lot to consider before jumping into this hobby I certainly recommend it. I was in your shoes just 6 months ago and I am very glad I dove in!

Keystow

When i say FPV being banned, the regulations state keeping the UAS in line of site, so how can this be accomplished if you are wearing goggles?
I guess i should have been clearer when asking the question and referring to FPV goggles vs. FPV screens. Even then with using a screen your attention may be drawn to the screen rather that looking directly at the aircraft. I'm just looking at a better understanding before i find myself causing more trouble than none.

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
  • Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times
I just don't see this as a problem. 'Within visual line of sight' is a location/place. It does not say 'Look at your MR at all times.'