Helical/Patch Antenna + Other Question

Trying to finalize my FPV shopping list and I'm a bit confused about the antenna set-up..

What is the difference between a Helical and Patch antenna??
They are both directional antennas right? I.e. help with long range..

Is the SpiroNET by ImmersionRC the same thing as a cloverleaf antenna?
What's better, IBCrazy Bluebeam, or the SpiroNET?

What's the best set of 3 for a diversity Rx monitor? And yes, what is the difference between Helical and Patch?

kloner

Aerial DP
so your suppose to get a ham lic to operate this stuff and within that lesson is all your answers.

There are two basic types of antennas, linear polarized and circular polarized. Within those two groups there are omni directional and patch antennas, and within those groups are helical, cloverleaf, yagi, etc.

because multirotors pivot on axis to move circular polarized antennas work best. beyond that the type you use would depend how far you want to go and how much effort you want to give following the aircraft is you use a patch....

Patch is a directional antenna that in linear is usually 10-20 degree wide, in CP there usually 45-90 degree beams. The other benefit to CP.... but, CP are kinda fragille, expensive, hard to travel with.

back to your questions......
1. helical is a patch in Circular Polarized

2. spironet is a production cloverleaf that doesn't work as well....

3. if i had a diversity monitor already, i'd get a mad mushroom and a crosshair..... if i didn't have diversity already, i wouldn't spend the money unless your going really long range and i'd use Ultra Bluebeam sets,,, basically matched pairs of mad mushrooms..... no matter what if you go circular polarized, get the ultra bluebeam set and a crosshair. crosshair work as well as a helical without the excess size. if helical was like a dude, crosshair is like a chick... inny/outty

this is a pair of crosshair in 2.4, they covered 240 degrees like cable tv.....
20140109101229-ad6d3afe-la.jpg

video from that monitor setup on a wing to show some distance.

the static you see by the houses is wifi router interference.... 2.4, what do ya do

If it was just a multi, 2.4 rc control, i'd go ultra blue beam hands down..... we get it a mile on 5.8 no problem

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't purchased anything yet and am just wanting to confirm the setup is good. What I think I have come up with is the ImmersionRC 5.8 Ghz Tx and the Black Pearl 32 channel diversity monitor. I know the antennas are important and that is where I am getting stuck. I will check out your recommendations.

To clarify, for the omnidirectional end of it, you are saying that I would be better off with the Bluebeam Ultra Antenna set (~$65) than the SpiroNet, correct?
Like this: Blue Beam Ultra 5.8 GHz Antenna Set RHCP - SMA Male - 1 Mad Mushroom (for Rx monitor) and 1 Airscrew (for Phantom)

And when you say crosshair, do you mean this? TrueRC - 5.8 GHz 10dBic Crosshair Antenna (SMA)

Sorry to have you spelling things out like a child but I just don't want to go wrong. At least I am trying to cram in a bit of research rather than just buying anything