Heavy-Lifter Build. *Urgent*

Hi guys!
I really need your advice.
I got a huge opportunity to work with big company in Czech Republic.
I need to build heavy-lifter capable of lifting gimbal and multispectral camera. Camera weights around 2,5-3kg.
We are gonna to fly over forests looking for pest.

Problem is that I Need list of components to tomorrow!!!

So I need to choose components for X8. I think that I will use:

Frame: Gryphon Dynamics (is there any better frame?)
Motors: T-Motors U7 490kv (or KDe alternative)
ESC: 80Amps T-Motors
Propellers: T-Motors 18"
Batts: Tattu 6S 16000mAh (2x parallel)
FC: Still don't know. I fly Pixhawk on my quad. But I don't know how Pixhawk performs on big rigs. I was thinking of SuperX too.
Gimbal: Probably Movi M5
Downlink: Connex.

Did I forgot something?
What do you guys think about this setup. Have you any experiences with setup like this?
What would you recommend to me?

Thank you very much!
Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

Tell them that you need more time to learn, or contact somebody or some company with experience, otherwise ... (you know what will happen, deep inside you know)

best regards
Ferdinand

There is no time that's the problem.
I am not afraid of failure.
I've been studying, building and flying drones for past three year.
I only need to choose right components.
I've already designed and built quadcopter that passed Czech CAA tests and I passed Czech CAA exams.
So I think I could build this rig with any problem.

Vavooon

Well, how much will copter weigh? I guess near 15kg.
You can use U7 420kV (their thrust at 50% throttle will be around 18kg) to improve flight time a bit.
But i would also recommend you to build relatively smaller copters (Tarot T810 for example) at first.

U7's like 16" props? Even 420kv version?
Lots of people and lots of companies use U7 420kv with 18" props without any problem.
They use btw. Gryphon frames as well.
Hexacrafter frames looks good to! But the motor mounts look weak.
Sleepy, Do you have your own experiences with both frames? :-

Fengshuidrone - I was thinking the same :lol:

crayfellow

Hi @Ancistrus01 nothing on a HexaCrafter frame is weak. They are precisely constructed and extremely strong, motor mounts and all. You will not be disappointed if you go that route.

Also according to T-Motor spec U7 is cool with 17-18" prop.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Yes 16" props on 490kv's. People can get away with 18" props but it will heat up the Esc's to the point they are melting the shrink wrap.

Also, the Hexacrafter frame is probably the strongest in the market. I have 2 a HC-800 hex and X8-800 X8 I have personally crashed one from 100 feet and did not break any part of the frame. But that being said, the motor mounts are designed to break first to save the arms and chassis. But they are not weak. Andrew uses the best carbon I have ever seen. The Grafton frames are a scam, way over priced for a fragile frame. A friend had a simple crash and the frame exploded. It was completely unusable.

Ok.
So I am finishing my components list:
Motors: U7 420kv - http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/Power-Type_0928/92.html
Props: T-Motors 18x6,1 - http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2013/prop_0805/15.html
ESC: T-Motors FLAME 80A - http://www.rctigermotor.com/html/2014/esc_1215/281.html
Batts: Tattu Plus 16Ah 22.2V 2x Parallel - http://www.gensace.de/recommend-products/tattu-plus-16000mah-22-2v-15c-6s1p-lipo-battery-pack.html
FC: 3DR Pixhawk
Parachute system: GBS 10/350 - http://www.galaxysky.cz/price-list-s98-en
PDB: Still don't know. (Maybe Vulcan PDB). What would you recommend me?
Frame: Still don't know but not Gryphon. HexaCrafter/Vulcan/Falcon/CarbonCore...
Battery Connectors: Still don't know. Some people use EC5 connectors but I think they can't last strong currents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Just a FYI. The flame 80 is not recommended for the U7 Motors. The correct ESC is the T80a.
Also, the EC5 is not rated for enough amps.... everything will overheat or shut down....
You need Progressive RC PR6 or Castle 6.5 mm connectors for this amp eater.....
There is way more to consider here than just throwing some components together......
That proposed load of 5 kg for camera.... without gimbal?
Either way you are in the range of a heavy RED.....
In your case you need to look at tested/ manufacturer recommended component matches....
You have a list above... ask the mfg. for proven tested recommendations & then compare.
E-mails to each... few including us are on the forums much...
Not guess work....Way to big & powerful an aircraft here to just throw together.
Based on the VERY limited information, I do not think the U7-420 kva will do it...
I think you are up to the U7-490 kva.....
Most likely 17" props.......
Aircraft is most certainly looking toward Octo or 8 motors to lift ... unless the payload is not correct or accurate.
Final Advice....
This is not the kind of project that can happen like instant pudding.....
Careful research & planning will be required to have a successful outcome.
"Haste makes waste"......
How long will your "deal" last if you put the entire aircraft including their sensor into the ground & then the trashcan?

jfro

Aerial Fun
"Frame: Still don't know but not Gryphon. HexaCrafter/Vulcan/Falcon/CarbonCore.."

I've built 5 and bought 1. Don't have anything that big, but if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the HexaCrafter. You get 2 things out of it. 1. A great frame. Never heard anyone say anything bad about the Hexcrafter frame.
2. You will get Andrews help on your configuration. He has the experience and will most likely give you advice that will save you time and money. You'll end up with something that works as it should.

Good luck. Hope to hear how it works out.

I will try to put here correct information (about me and about that project).
I am not a beginner... I am not "engineer" or somebody from that company that got task to learn and build X8 for inspections. I've already built and/or set few smaller rigs. From around 210 mini quads to around 800 octos.
Personally I unfortunately don't have bigger rig. I only have 500 quadcopter (and 210mm FPV copter). My own builds and designs (photos are down). I've spend around half a year only designing and building that my 500mm quad. I learned so many things.
Then in January 2015 I started to get licence from Czech Civil Aviation Autority. Because of this licence. I had to write 'Operation Manual' for my quad. It is 64 pages document about Pre-Flying checks, Flying procedures, After-Flying procedures, technical information about my Quad and about safety and so on...
Then on 13 August 2015 I had exams. It was theoretical and practical exam. From theoretical exam I got 100%. The exam last for about 4 hours!

So, I think I can build this big rig! (Or I am courageous enough.)

So there are information about that X8 Octocopter I want to build.

Octocopter X8:
Max estimated weight of the rig: 16-18kg
Payload: 4-4.5kg with GIMBAL
For this project It will carry multi spectral camera.
For classic aerial cinematography I want to be able to carry RED. But usually I will carry A7RII which is around 3 kg with gimbal.
I've seen companies like Australian New Era Media, Czech Vertical Images and so on, using rigs with same (or approx. same) payload as me, with same motors (U7 420kv), same props (18x6.1) and same batteries (16Ah 6S 15C).

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flame 80 was recommend for me by one Czech Company that is now building little bit smaller rig. (with U5s).
I knew that EC5 is not enough. Thank you for information what connectors choose.
U7 420kv with 18x6,1 is manufactured recommended component match. Tattu batteries are reliable and great so there is not problem. Only problem I can see is in ESC's. I will write E-mail to T-Motors and I will ask them for advice.

Yeah I will probably go with HexaCrafter. (Wait for E-Mail! :D )

Pictures:
View attachment 26693View attachment 26694 View attachment 26695

Attachments

• Copter dirty Plate.png
    Copter dirty Plate.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 349
  • WP_20141203_16_15_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20141203_16_15_28_Pro.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 303
  • WP_20150611_17_06_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150611_17_06_42_Pro.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 326

New info about ESCs:
I wrote email to T-Motors and they told me that "older" Flames had some issues and that the new ones are fixed. So I will buy FLAMEs and just in case I will try it on the table. Just like every component.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
We have also reached out to T-Motor about the Flame 80 and have NOW (today) been advised of their recent change of Flame 80 use with the U7.
I wish to provide a bit of Caution as advice....
While we have TONS of systems flying currently with the U7 and the T80a, we have none flying with the Flame 80 & U7.
So, I would state that the T80a has a proven successful history for the U7.
I cannot yet say this for the flame 80.
We intend to perform our own testing of the Flame 80 with the U7 before we feel comfortable recommending it to our clients.
I suggest that if you intend to use the Flame 80, you will be a Beta tester.... unless you can find users that have 100+ hours of use with this pairing.
Just MHO....

Yes, you are right. I couldn't find what ESCs are used in big rigs with U7.
I will trust you and I will buy those T80A.
What PDB would you recommend me?

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Ours is a proprietary Bus Bar System. It has been part of our larger format kits for about 4 years now. The system can be ordered pre-soldered when purchasing on of our kits. Here is a recent X8 ESC plate with the ESC & Bus Bars installed. The Plastic covers have been removed so the Bus Bars can be seen.
View attachment 26757
I cannot honestly speak for any other Power Distribution systems, as I have had no experience with other brands for 4 years.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 453