have I thrown away all this money for nothing?

I need help from whom ever can give it.
I built 2 multi rotors. One had the KK2 and it was a brilliant failure. No help from any one. No support from the vendor or the manufacturer.
The other was a multiwii pro set up. That was even worse experience.
They both still sit collecting dust.

I just picked up a DJI F550 complete set up and it advertised, ATF just drop in a receiver and go!
It has been a whole day and nothing but aggravation and frustration.

I have advertised my need for help on a few other placers but I get either snarky remarks or offers to buy everything "quadrotor" I have for a few dollars.

I need help...not smartasses (sorry for the word but it is an accurate assessment)

I have everything set up as the manual states to set up. I have read more forum threads about it than I can stand.
Nothing is doing what it is meant to do.

Is it my Rx? My Tx? am I just a bloody idiot?
If anyone can help please do.

F550 with NAZA and GPS.
Everything was bought from DJI except the flysky TH9x transmitter and receiver.
I have all the drivers, software and manuals on the PC.
It connects to the PC just fine
First issue is:
I got the switch to actually change control mode but it doesn't change on the multirotor
When I power the thing up and when it DOES arm...if I give it enough throttle to lift off it wants to continue lifting off like the throttle is ramping on it's own. I am glad I had a hand on it or it would have shot off into the sky to who knows where. I don't know any flight characteristics because I haven't gotten that far. I am still trying to figure out the runaway bride thing going on.
And is there a way to shut off the 10% throttle mess? So very annoying!

Anyhow any advice would help.
I do have another TR and RX to use if I have to. Hitec eclipse pro 7ch. Was gonna use that for my FPV plane but can swap for the other if I have to.

olof

Osprey
I use Futaba TX/RX so I can't help you with the radios.

But make sure everything works exactly right in the Naza SW. Make sure the throttle ramps up smoothly and 50% is exactly in the middle. Same for the other controls. Make sure your trims are at 0 on your TX. Make sure nothing is reversed.

Dont forget to write to the Naza once you have your settings right

Also try it out first w/o props. Much safer. You can tell if props are spinning in the right direction and you can tell if the props respond correctly to throttle and stick movements.

I would never start my copter holding onto it, stitches are expensive and hurt, and that is if you are lucky, sorry for the rant but I am an EMT and I have seen some bad cuts. A friend of mine (not me really) had $30,000.00 surgery to put his thumb back on and repair the tendons.

If everything works in the Naza SW and the no prop tests go smoothly. It should be all set. I find the 550 a very easy craft to control. Just start with slow moves, get the feel for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
aggrevated,

i saw your registration pass through my email and was curious about the username you chose. where do you live? maybe someone can sit down with you for an hour or two and go through things step by step?

post pictures of your installation for starters and we'll try to get you going again. I've been working all day on my first NAZA build so I'm right there with you at this point. I killed a lot of time on a camera mount but the F550/NAZA thing doesn't exactly put itself together.

youtube has a lot of good educational material including stuff by site supporter Patrick from Aerial Media Pros.

Bart

mongo

lost soul
ditto on what has already been said.

add in,
TX is in airplane mode, not heli?
all mixing is off in the TX?
what firmware version in the naza, and what assistant version?

and, in reality, the idea of having just thrown away all the money, is rather a healthy way to look at hobby expenses. just don't give up before ya get some up close and personal help from someone who knows what they are doing.

DennyR

I need help from whom ever can give it.
I built 2 multi rotors. One had the KK2 and it was a brilliant failure. No help from any one. No support from the vendor or the manufacturer.
The other was a multiwii pro set up. That was even worse experience.
They both still sit collecting dust.

I just picked up a DJI F550 complete set up and it advertised, ATF just drop in a receiver and go!
It has been a whole day and nothing but aggravation and frustration.

I have advertised my need for help on a few other placers but I get either snarky remarks or offers to buy everything "quadrotor" I have for a few dollars.

I need help...not smartasses (sorry for the word but it is an accurate assessment)

I have everything set up as the manual states to set up. I have read more forum threads about it than I can stand.
Nothing is doing what it is meant to do.

Is it my Rx? My Tx? am I just a bloody idiot?
If anyone can help please do.

F550 with NAZA and GPS.
Everything was bought from DJI except the flysky TH9x transmitter and receiver.
I have all the drivers, software and manuals on the PC.
It connects to the PC just fine
First issue is:
I got the switch to actually change control mode but it doesn't change on the multirotor
When I power the thing up and when it DOES arm...if I give it enough throttle to lift off it wants to continue lifting off like the throttle is ramping on it's own. I am glad I had a hand on it or it would have shot off into the sky to who knows where. I don't know any flight characteristics because I haven't gotten that far. I am still trying to figure out the runaway bride thing going on.
And is there a way to shut off the 10% throttle mess? So very annoying!

Anyhow any advice would help.
I do have another TR and RX to use if I have to. Hitec eclipse pro 7ch. Was gonna use that for my FPV plane but can swap for the other if I have to.

I think I can see your initial problem....
The 10% throttle should only be active when you are in failsafe.(Tx is off) I am guessing that you did not follow the correct way in setting that up.(see Tx manual) Set your throttle to 100% without trim or expo. etc. I would also suggest tethering the model to something like a Work Mate portable bench so that you can run through the settings without loosing the model. Start out with the props removed and then you can see if the motors are speeding up and slowing down in the correct orientation as you move the model in pitch roll and yaw. Naza is quite straightforward, works well and is easy once you have done it a few times.
I have no idea if the Tx you are using even supports failsafe but my guess is that it does. If it does not, you should not use it.

Ok in reply to all:
First... THANK YOU! you guys rock.
Second I found a few issues and dealt with them. One being loose wires in the Tx. I took the back off so I can mod it for taking lipo instead of a handfull of expensive AA's and some of the wires were off loose or came out of their lugs when I touched them.

third: No mixes. It's straight up new Tx and Rx and I back checked for mixes. Good call on that one so thanks

Fourth: For the EMT lol.. I had it sitting on the floor with my hand on the battery that sits on top in case it wanted to run off and join the circus.. And I was making sure me and everything with in 20 yards was clear...

Fifth: I got the switches to work now (loose wires)

The software is V1.8
the Firmware is 2.02
I take it thats the latest? Not sure.

I have the naza set up for atti and failsafe. Im not going to dabble with the GPS until I get the thing flying and stable. Then I can move on to bigger and better things.

The props stayed off until I was sure everything was running good. Just when I tried taking off did it not run good..lol

I ran it outside just to see if it would go. It's still an untamed beast. After talking to some of the people here in PM I am not 100% with the whole idea but I am not giving up yet. Thanks!

As far as a sit down I would really just need someone to look it over and tell me I am right, wrong retarded or what ever. Then maybe throw some tips or pointers my way. Then see if it can fly and hover or still be a wandering machine that wont do anything but drift and try to become a ballistic missle.

Thanks again people you are helping me wanna NOT burn it at the stake.....yet

kloner

Aerial DP
if it really is jumping up and down throttle wise, theres been a few of them nazas through here lately and if i remember right it's a faulty naza

if it really is jumping up and down throttle wise, theres been a few of them nazas through here lately and if i remember right it's a faulty naza

Florida. Am still looking for people that are close that do multirotors. All of the hobby shops around here sell the prebuilt ones but know next to nothing about them. They are mostly specialized in cars or trains. Mostly trains....

kloner

Aerial DP
do this, take a camera and make us a short youtube or pictures of what all you got, how it shows up in naza assistant, each screen. show us gains and the throttle in txcali.

if you didn't center the throttle stick in assistant when you calibrated the radio to naza while hitting finish, might try that again and make sure it's still surging. The stuff i saw in faulty nazas was wicked wrong. wide open to nothing with no input to the sticks

The one main thing that'll screw up any controller, but especially naza is vibrations. make sure nothing touches nazas case when it's ready to fly,,,, wires can't touch it,,,, nothing can

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
where do you live?

He used a word in one of his posts that would lead me to believe either, England, Australia or New Zealand.

Aggravated, I can understand your aggravated to say the least. On this site there are some very talented people, I hope we can all work together to get you flying in a short span of time. Trust me, it is frustrating, but when you get to fly that beast, you will be in love with it.

I am going to watch this topic and see if I can be of some help, I am not as experienced as some of the guys on here, but help is help and I am willing to help where I can.

adding this topic to my subscribed topics.... If you can, let us know where in the world you are, and if you can get us the pictures requested, I.E. pictures (close up) of the naza and connections, and the screen shots/video on YouTube will help us diagnose the possible issues.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
...........The one main thing that'll screw up any controller, but especially naza is vibrations. make sure nothing touches nazas case when it's ready to fly,,,, wires can't touch it,,,, nothing can

good advice but that's tough to do with all the flippin' wires passing between the plates! hmmm, have to go give it a look.

kloner

Aerial DP
they are easily seperated. i've seen guys use naza and the plates to hold wires in place and that's the last thing your trying to do....... the tape at the bottom is enough contact area, and dji cuts out the entire center of the double sided tape for even less contact

One big advantage to a controller using sbus or ppm is the lack of said wire

Ok guys..back from my short unexpected trip..lol
Ok I have things working somewhat. I took it all apart and put it all back together and found issues on many levels and sorted them out but as soon as I can I will get a video and some pics up.

The gains right now are my biggest battle. They were all at 100%. I have slowly drawn them to much higher numbers and can fly the thing but I still need tweeking. With GPS and all that active and such it still drifts around way too much for it to be running any sensors so it must either be the gains or something I am missing.

The pics and vids will be on their way soon!

And I now live in st Augustine Florida so if any one knows some one that is obviously much better at this than me send them my way. I would be more than happy to entertain any pointers tips and advice they have if they are close enough for a day at the bench..lol (park, parking lot..etc)

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
When you say drifting around, could you elaborate some more on that? I am wondering if your calibration is out on the GPS and compass?

How does it fly when in manual or Atti modes?

in atti it will mostly maintain level flight and mostly stay at when elevation i throttle it to. if I try and fly it in a direction it wont hold elevation very well. When in hover it drifts in what ever direction it chooses. if I dont keep adjusting with the ail/elev stick it will drift until collision or dead battery..lol

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Wow, you can expect some variation in altitude when moving, mine more or less is pretty stable. One thing you might want to try with the altitude issue, put some black tape either side of the Naza, they have a problem with sunlight.

Your GPS, seems to be the main issue, you need to calibrate the GPS and the Compass, you also need to set the Magnetic north correctly for the area you are in. When you do calibrate, make sure your away from buildings, no cell phone, jewelry and metal objects that can interfere with the calibration.

Check here for some useful videos, see how it goes and let us know... http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1.0.160.965.0j7.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.qMmufKEKrBE

Someone will hopefully explain about the Magnetic North Calibration depending on your location.. there is an offset you need to calculate or you will see "toilet bowl swirls" from your Naza.

Jodde73

Unbalanced props/motors? Cog? Do you think this problem solving is fun or do you only get "aggrevated"? Nothing is 100% "locked in" out of the box/build. Learn to love the problems, they are the heart of RC ;).