Has anyone setup the Aux3 knob on a DX8 to control the gimbal tilt?

mmurfitt

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to control the gimbal tilt using the Aux3 knob on my Spektrum DX8, has anyone got this working?
I'm sure I've seen some mention of it in a thread a while back, but try as I might I can't find the thread.

I have the Aux3 port on my AR8000 receiver wired to the X1 port on the Naza, but I can't see anywhere in the Naza Assistant software where I can map the X1 on the Naza to the 'other side' F1 or F2 ports where I currently have the gimbal tilt servo plugged in (to the F1 port). The servo's buzzing a little there's no movement when I turn the knob.

In the Tx Cali part of the Naza Assistant I can see the X1 slider moving when I rotate the Aux 3 knob...

Any help would be extremely gratefully received.. :)

mmurfitt

Thanks, i'll take a look.
I have looked/read through the manual several times, but generally for other things so I may well have missed this.

mmurfitt

Hmmm, so I've just read through the manual with the bits which talk about the gimbal, and I'm reasonably sure I've done what was outlined...in that I have the gimbal pitch servo connected to X1, but I don't get any movement...
I'm now wondering whether the problem lies with the frequency of the servo I'm using as I've not changed it from it's original setting of 50hz..
Hopefully the 'hz' will be written on the side of the servo otherwise...hmmmm..???

mmurfitt

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 381
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 318
Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
You have actually enabled it in the gimbal pain havent you?

In your DX8 servos can you see AUX3 moving as you turn the knob?

mmurfitt

Yeah, I've got the gimbal function enabled.

I've only been looking at the physical servo to see if the thing move, I've also been looking at the values on the gimbal page to see if they increase or decrease.
Good suggestion about the servo screen, I'll have a look on the DX8 and see what happens.
I've also just received an email from the place where I bought the gimbal from (which is very good service for a Saturday I must say) and the guy said he thought it was 333hz! And since I have the default of 50hz then that may be it.
Unfortunately I can't test it right at the moment, but will do soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmurfitt

I was looking at the servo yesterday to see if I could get it working, and while it's still not working I have noticed something interesting.
When I turn the Aux3 knob the servo starts to buzz, and I actually had it move a small amount ,twice, but nothing since.
I've tried every setting on the gimbal page with no positive results, however since the servo moved a little bit I'm thinking perhaps I have a busted servo..
Interestingly the servo only moved in one direction, backwards, and the movement was kind of delayed as well.
I did have one query though, and please correct me if I've understood this incorrectly, but if I have the gimbal page enabled wouldn't that just mean the servo/gimbal responds to the orientation of the hexa?
Or, does the fact that I have my DX8 knob/Aux3/F2/X1 wired mean I'm manually overriding it wanting to 'naturally' move the gimbal?

(I hope that makes sense, it make sense in my head, but I'm not sure I've articulated myself very well :)

Phil550

I was looking at the servo yesterday to see if I could get it working, and while it's still not working I have noticed something interesting.
When I turn the Aux3 knob the servo starts to buzz, and I actually had it move a small amount ,twice, but nothing since.
I've tried every setting on the gimbal page with no positive results, however since the servo moved a little bit I'm thinking perhaps I have a busted servo..
Interestingly the servo only moved in one direction, backwards, and the movement was kind of delayed as well.
I did have one query though, and please correct me if I've understood this incorrectly, but if I have the gimbal page enabled wouldn't that just mean the servo/gimbal responds to the orientation of the hexa?
Or, does the fact that I have my DX8 knob/Aux3/F2/X1 wired mean I'm manually overriding it wanting to 'naturally' move the gimbal?

(I hope that makes sense, it make sense in my head, but I'm not sure I've articulated myself very well :)

My DX8 / Aux3 is set up to operate the gimbal and it works both manually (pitch) and automatically due to the orientalion. I have the Quadframes gimbal fitted with Hyperion DS11 servos.
I'd like to tell you how to do it but mine was set up by Harvey at Buzzflyer.

mmurfitt

My DX8 / Aux3 is set up to operate the gimbal and it works both manually (pitch) and automatically due to the orientalion. I have the Quadframes gimbal fitted with Hyperion DS11 servos.
I'd like to tell you how to do it but mine was set up by Harvey at Buzzflyer.

Darn it!
That's exactly the same gimbal as the one I'm using, looks like the missing part in my equation is Harvey..! :)
Do you have any video of the gimbal in use?

I'm really starting to wonder if it's the servo's which are a bit dodgy as they've never really worked properly..

Does anyone know if they need setting up/configuring/orientating aside from the settings in the Gimbal section of the Naza software?

Phil550

Darn it!
That's exactly the same gimbal as the one I'm using, looks like the missing part in my equation is Harvey..! :)
Do you have any video of the gimbal in use?

I'm really starting to wonder if it's the servo's which are a bit dodgy as they've never really worked properly..

Does anyone know if they need setting up/configuring/orientating aside from the settings in the Gimbal section of the Naza software?

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but I bought the landing gear / gimbal about a month after the 550 that Harvey had set up, built it, plugged the servos in and it just worked....I didn't need to set up anything......

mmurfitt

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but I bought the landing gear / gimbal about a month after the 550 that Harvey had set up, built it, plugged the servos in and it just worked....I didn't need to set up anything......

Hmmm, it's interesting that you just plugged the servo's in, because that seems to be the general way of things, that they 'just plug in'. I find that most of the stuff with my 550 I've just been able to plug in, then configure at a later date...which has me wondering whether the servo's aren't working correctly.
I had a look at the servo's you're using, they're reasonably expensive at £25 each, I have virtually no experience with servo's, but I thought servo's were a couple of quid..

Phil550

Hmmm, it's interesting that you just plugged the servo's in, because that seems to be the general way of things, that they 'just plug in'. I find that most of the stuff with my 550 I've just been able to plug in, then configure at a later date...which has me wondering whether the servo's aren't working correctly.
I had a look at the servo's you're using, they're reasonably expensive at £25 each, I have virtually no experience with servo's, but I thought servo's were a couple of quid..

I haven't any experience of servos either so I just used the ones in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=axp2sdH2fbA&nomobile=1

I got mine from here - they seem to work well and don't suffer from 'the jitters' which I've read about on other posts / forums:

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=HP-DS11-SCB

mmurfitt

I haven't any experience of servos either so I just used the ones in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&client=mv-google&v=axp2sdH2fbA&nomobile=1

Thanks for the video, I've seen it before but didn't really take much notice of the gimbal part.
Although I'm using a Naza M FC instead of the Wookong I'm pretty sure the advice given in the video is still relevant, and by the sounds of it I have my gimbal correctly wired, which is both a relief and a worry.
Something I wondered about which was shown on the video is when he moved the knob on his TX the slider in the software didn't move all that much, whereas when I move my 'knob' the slider in the software moves from one end to the other...I wonder if I have the end travel points incorrectly set, and even if I do would it render the servo unable to be used...hmmm??

...answers on a postcode.. :)

Phil550

Thanks for the video, I've seen it before but didn't really take much notice of the gimbal part.
Although I'm using a Naza M FC instead of the Wookong I'm pretty sure the advice given in the video is still relevant, and by the sounds of it I have my gimbal correctly wired, which is both a relief and a worry.
Something I wondered about which was shown on the video is when he moved the knob on his TX the slider in the software didn't move all that much, whereas when I move my 'knob' the slider in the software moves from one end to the other...I wonder if I have the end travel points incorrectly set, and even if I do would it render the servo unable to be used...hmmm??

...answers on a postcode.. :)

Pass

Sounds like a question for kloner or Tomstoy2....

sj257

I do have a gimbal set up on my 450 using the DX8. It's a breeze. I'm afraid it sounds very much like a duff servo to me. Decent servos will really help with a gimbal, it's quite demanding in hobby servo terms.

Test the servo. Plug the servo into the aux 3 channel of your rx. With everything live the servo should follow the servo monitor. I suspect it won't. If you have access to another servo try the same thing with that just to confirm he signal is getting there and it's a dead servo. I started with cheap servos on mine and they just can't keep up. I moved up to Savox 257s. They are a few quid but such a drastic improvement. I would suggest they are a minimum spec.

Good luck.

sj

mmurfitt

I do have a gimbal set up on my 450 using the DX8. It's a breeze. I'm afraid it sounds very much like a duff servo to me. Decent servos will really help with a gimbal, it's quite demanding in hobby servo terms.

Test the servo. Plug the servo into the aux 3 channel of your rx. With everything live the servo should follow the servo monitor. I suspect it won't. If you have access to another servo try the same thing with that just to confirm he signal is getting there and it's a dead servo. I started with cheap servos on mine and they just can't keep up. I moved up to Savox 257s. They are a few quid but such a drastic improvement. I would suggest they are a minimum spec.

Good luck.

sj

Hey,
Thanks for this.
I've made contact with the website I bought the gimbal/servo's from and they emailed back yesterday saying pretty much the same thing, to test the servo with it plugged directly in to the rx.
The gimbal came with two servo's, pitch & roll, I've hardly used the roll servo so I'll try that one as well to see what happens.
I'll give that a go and see how I get on.

Thanks for the help.

mmurfitt

Just to update, my problem turned out to be a faulty servo. Testing with the other servo from the final proved this and thankfully the online shop are sending me a new one.
The knob on the DX8 now operates the gimbal pitch perfectly, although it does seem a little jerky, but I've not tested it in flight so I don't know if that jerkiness translates on to the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmitriybragin

Hi!

Could you post the working servo details, please? (model, etc.)

Thank you!

Just to update, my problem turned out to be a faulty servo. Testing with the other servo from the final proved this and thankfully the online shop are sending me a new one.
The knob on the DX8 now operates the gimbal pitch perfectly, although it does seem a little jerky, but I've not tested it in flight so I don't know if that jerkiness translates on to the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk