Has anyone seen racing drones with rear and side props for more speed & agility?

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
All the racing drones I've seen are smaller quad racers. It would seem logical to put a rear facing pusher prop or front propellor to further enhance speed. Also some micro motors with small props on the side for added turn in. Would be a bit more complex in the software mix but the speed and turning gains would be substantial

Does such a beast exist yet?

droneadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Not exactly a racing copter, but a poster over at FPVLans created "The Boomcopter" that was a Y3 with a pusher in the rear. The pusher was activated by one of the sliders on the sides of a Taranis, IIRC. At any rate, he got some spectacular speed out of this beast and did a very good write up at this link:

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?24310-The-Boomcopter

Yes that is similar to what I am thinking of there. I think the main headwind right now is mostly in the software to deal with the extra directional inputs but that is a hurdle that can be overcome.

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
I'd say a variable arm angles may be cool-most racing quads already have tilted motors, wonder if there would be some benefit to making this tilt variable.