Hack-Prototype Friendly Gimbal?

crayfellow

Hi guys,

For something a bit different from the usual... We are prototyping an aerial sensor platform for a package that is approximately 2kg. The "real" custom stabilizer in development will most likely use a SimpleBGC controller and 6S, so I'm looking for a hacking/prototyping-friendly gimbal that also uses SimpleBGC and 6S. That way once we have the custom system, everything else will be equivalent.

One I have found is this one from iFlight/iPower. Has anyone used this? I have found no reviews or feedback. I like that the camera platform is made for a big square camera, since our sensor payload is approximately equivalent to that as opposed to a "DSLR" shape. We will modify whatever we get for our particular purposes, and obviously we've got different priorities than for cinematography. But if you guys have one to recommend I'd appreciate it. I am hoping to minimize time hacking whatever we get in order for it to work.

Thanks!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I got ahold of the earlier version of the gimbal you linked. Apparently @SleepyC had some issues with it - and it arrived to me through @Bartman.

Turned out the issues seemed to be caused by poor machining tolerances which were causing bearing binding. They may have rectified this issue in more recent versions, but based on the fact that a gimbal requires zero binding, and the way it was machined, I might look for another option. Especially given the price.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
the one i gave you Scott was first generation back in the wild heyday of brushless gimbals, when all of our problems were to be miraculously solved! that didn't happen, not right away at least, and later versions of that gimbal were better but not quite up to Zenmuse or Mōvi standards.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Gotcha. I assumed they started churning out tighter tolerances, just based on my good experiences with their motors.

I'm still going to try to machine some fixes for this thing. It has some nice design features that I think have stood the test of time.

crayfellow

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Any others you would recommend?

Also, we had been looking at using the iPower GBM8017-120T SC motors in the custom design. Would you say it is worthy, or would something else be better at a similar price point?

@violetwolf thanks for the suggestion; I wrote you. Anyone else have experience with the BG005?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It seems for the price point you're looking at you may be able to build a custom solution for less and have exactly the dimensions/parameters you need.

crayfellow

We are building a custom solution which has already been designed. What we're looking for is a decent commercial off the shelf gimbal to allow for prototyping to start now as opposed to waiting for the custom stabilizer to be ready.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The one we had was the first one available I believe (based on research when it arrived). It was aimed at the canon 5D IIRC, but the design was very similar to the one you posted. Same yaw spine and plates.

violetwolf

I've built several of the BG 001's myself with no issues of any kind (binding or otherwise). I only sell stuff that I use myself, so I'm assured its quality and I know the gear for support purposes. These days I'm even getting the opportunity to give them input during the design stage. I truly believe in this company. :)