Guys PLEASE, don't do it!

IM0001

The sad part is while the risk of flying over people is always there when you want to record anything outside of an empty field, it is the completely inexperienced pilot taking his "toy" out to a public location without any experience that really burns the rest of us. (Hell his takeoff alone was also a bit too crowded and risky to start and 99% chance he didn't calibrate the compass nor fly in ATT as it is unlikely he had enough Sat's between all those buildings.)

The risk of anything flying overhead is a bit dangerous, but it is something we all live with every day as planes, trains, and automobiles all exist and are able to kill us at a moments notice. (every car besides your own is a potential killer every day, separated only by painted lines on a road).

What the FAA should do in the long run, instead of outright banning all drones in all public places, is to implement a License system for RC Drone Pilots to prove that if you take one of these up in a public place, you are pretty well guaranteed to know how to not fly it into a wall.

Sadly given how boneheaded many of the people who can get these increasingly accessible quad can be, it only takes a handful to completely botch it for the rest of us.

DCF-Media

Hi Guys, In complete agreement! So fed up of hearing about this kind of thing. I own a Production company specializing in Drones... but I do not fly them, I leave that to our fully licensed BNUC Qualified pilot. With out the licensing system it would be impossible for us to have insurance. I hear that recently Spain and Italy have done an all out Ban on UAV's... this is unfortunately not the way forward. Licensing however is. When we quote a Shoot we supply three things:
A copy of Our Pilots license (BNUC) from the EUROUSC
Our CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) to fly the aircraft commercially
And our Insurance policy that has a public liability of £5million.
Even with all this in place we do not fly over any public who are not under our control and have been safety briefed directly by the pilot....
This is the only way forward and if not blanket bans will begin coming into affect internationally....
Leo - Digitalcinemafilms.co.uk

IM0001

But this is the USA where the Government doesn't like competition in its Drone program, unless you are a large Corp that can Lobby for their own Commercial reasons. :D

Just need to develop FPV Vans that are long range and covert enough to not be traceable lol.

A License system would make too much sense here. They could use it not only to guarantee safe piloting, but as a revenue source to boot.
I have been saying the same for Driving Licenses for years. A tiered Driving License that allows purchase and operation of different level cars so not only do you have to have $ to drive that Expensive Ferrari, but a License to prove you can handle/drive it correctly, and the License could allow you to stretch the Limit knowing that you can operate that thing faster than the speed limit responsibly.

Again, it would make too much sense to implement so....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Woah... so what happen? I saw a red light when he took off so i'm thinking he is flying in GPS mode or atti mode without full GPS satellite locks?

Or is this guy just THAT bad at flying it?

IM0001

It really looks like he just powered it up, turned on the GoPro, and took off. It looks like it held steady for a moment, but the only way I could see it flight that hard into a building was him not knowing anything about orientation and flew it straight into that wall.

That shot could look really awesome for sure, and the risk is always going to be there for something that populated, (he technically could have hovered it over the empty construction pit and taken some good video without much risk at all), but taking your toy out there and flying it this bad makes ALL of us look bad.

DCF-Media

Hi
This is only my second post, and I'm a firm believer in licensing, we have loads of work coming up using our Octos and Hexas, we use Red Epic's, Black Magic Cameras. Lumix GH4's - 4K Cameras and other Pro camera systems.
We are always on the look out for qualified BNUC Pilots & Camera Gimbals Technicians (Using Alex Moss programming).
Please get intouch if you'd like to work with us: leo@digitalcinemafilms.co.uk

Thanks for the heads up but I believe at this point you are preaching to the choir.
Anyone who took the time to join this forum is already smart enough, we hope, to avoid such a stupid stunt.
In fact, I doubt anyone in this group who did that would be stupid enough to post it on You Tube. That is even dumber.
Did anyone catch what language that gibberish in the background was?

Last edited by a moderator:

mephisto

hy,

This is the ownside of RTF Multirotor Products. Guys step into a Hobby market, see the Phantom and think "cool, now i'm a uberdronepilot".

No warning on the Box, no safety considerations, no information about national regulations. This has the potential to ruin our hobby.

dark_star

Stitch is right that anything here is preaching to the choir. But the hobby really is already in danger. Things are close to a tipping point. The cat is out of the bag but things will really clamp down when one of these morons hits/hurts someone and the media gets hold of the footage. Negative public opinion can hurt us almost as much as FAR's. The DJI's and others don't care- they will sell as many phantoms to idiots as they can before they are sued/banned or maybe both.

Buzz_Roavr

Hi
This is only my second post, and I'm a firm believer in licensing, we have loads of work coming up using our Octos and Hexas, we use Red Epic's, Black Magic Cameras. Lumix GH4's - 4K Cameras and other Pro camera systems.
We are always on the look out for qualified BNUC Pilots & Camera Gimbals Technicians (Using Alex Moss programming).
Please get intouch if you'd like to work with us: leo@digitalcinemafilms.co.uk

Great showreel BTW!

Thanks for the heads up but I believe at this point you are preaching to the choir.
Anyone who took the time to join this forum is already smart enough, we hope, to avoid such a stupid stunt.
In fact, I doubt anyone in this group who did that would be stupid enough to post it on You Tube. That is even dumber.
Did anyone catch what language that gibberish in the background was?
Thats Russian language 100 percent sure!

Dewster

They seemed like they were in a rush to launch the craft before anyone could realize what they were doing. The craft look like it had a fly away moment leading up to the crash.

A;KnightFlight

It's our responsibility to know and comply with the law, but DJI and their "Cripple-Ware" doesn't discriminate between those who do and those who don't. As a licensed pilot, AND a licensed Air Traffic Controller, I know the rules, and should be able to disable the no fly zones on my system, as the final responsibility with compliance has and will always rest with me. I DO coordinates flights with local FAA if needed, I DO make some phone calls in advance, but now it is a moot point. I am extremely disappointed with the fact that I purchased a drone system that has now been degraded without any notice or advanced authorization and feel DJI should at least refund the purchase price, since the system I purchased no longer has the capability I purchased. I will NOT purchase any further products from DJI as there are plenty of other systems just as capable without the BS restrictions imposed after the fact. They don't care, they got my money and I am certain they won't refund it. Hell, you can't even get a response out of the company.