Gremsy gstabi H3

Is anybody here who already owns this Gimbal or has ordered it?
I'm very tempted but wanna know about its ability to keep horizon steady which sometimes is kind of a problem with some systems I have used.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I just posted on the Facebook group asking people to share over here if they're willing. Hopefully some folks will chime in with some clips from the H3.

econfly

Here is a quick clip (about 2 minutes, no cuts) I shot this evening -- first H3 flight, and I was losing light fast. I have the H3 mounted on a DJI S1000, and the camera I tested with this evening is the Sony A7Rii with a Zeiss Loxia 35mm lens. I had a few wiggles in the footage that were easily fixed with some post stabilization, but so far so good. The size of the H3 is just perfect for the A7 series, GH4, BMPCC, etc., and the Gremsy software is very easy to use. I am really liking this setup right now.

Skysmith

Drone operator
I agree with Iceman, Econfly could you show us the untouched video?
And could you share a little bit more of your experience with the gimbal, maybe some photos?

By the way, you have a nice playground for your test, loved the reflexion on the water.

Gremsy is supposed to release the Canlink that is connecting in the A2 or Wookong canbus to allow communication between FC and the gimbal. It's supposed to solve the horizon drift. It's using a sleep ring offering to get other signal to go trough like video or gimbal control for solo operators.

econfly

Here are a few shots of the setup. You can see I'm powering the H3 using a BEC.

3P3A0031_zpslacouxid.jpg

3P3A0030_zpsooysb0bu.jpg

3P3A0027_zps0dq7cftb.jpg

3P3A0024_zpszhlfzxpo.jpg

econfly

Here is the same video posted above but with no stabilization applied. I flew some more today, and I found that using stronger "hold strength" values (config->expert) eliminates much of the small bouncing in the footage you can see below.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Rob,
Don't you also have a Movi? Have you had a chance to fly it much with the Gremsy? Happy with the results?

econfly

I do have an M5, and have long had plans to get it in the air on an X8 build. But I haven't completed that, so I can't compare it to the H3 in the air. I am so behind on projects... It was a lot easier to get the H3 and mount it on the S1000, and I have always wanted to make my S1000 more useful. Before I was using a DJI BMPCC Zenmuse, which was fine but with all of these new cameras coming out it was also very limiting. So, I've ditched the Zen and am going forward with the H3.

Skysmith

Drone operator
All this is really promising.
It's good to know that you've been able to improve the stability with some tweaking, their app seems well made.

Can't wait to see more tests. I'm pretty much convinced now.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Econfly, I noticed on your other video's you flew the InfinityMr. What's your opinion on the InfinityMR compared to the H3 and was it with encoders or maybe the CP controller?

Not sure what part of the world you are on, but if your anywhere near the northeast (USA), I'd welcome the chance to go testing with you when you fly this and get the Movi in the air.

econfly

My take so far is that this (the H3) is a viable integrated gimbal solution that works. I would put the M5 in that category, of course (though I have not personally put it in the air yet). Also in that category is the DJI Zenmuse series, but this option is limited by single camera/lens choice in each gimbal offering. Going further, the latest phantoms and the Inspire are great but also have their limitations.

The Gremsy software is very easy to use. They offer nice mounting hardware solutions. And their support is very good (over on Facebook, which is not my preferred choice, but they are responsive there).

The H3 is a perfect size for flying small cameras (GH4, Sony A7, BMPCC, the Blackmagic micro if they ever release it, etc.). With the A7Rii, loxia 35mm lens, battery, etc. (all up weight) the H3 and camera/lens come in at 4 pounds 6 ounces. That excludes a few ounces for the quick release and mount on the copter, but the bottom line is that this is about as light as it gets. All-up (with 21000 mAh battery) my S1000 is almost exactly 9kg.

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

Econfly, I noticed on your other video's you flew the InfinityMr. What's your opinion on the InfinityMR compared to the H3 and was it with encoders or maybe the CP controller?

Not sure what part of the world you are on, but if your anywhere near the northeast, I'd welcome the chance to go testing with you when you fly this and get the Movi in the air.

I'll abstain from commenting on the InfinityMR. Others can do a much better job. Obviously, for my preferences, the H3 was the way to go.

When I get to my place out east I'll see if some of us (especially Bart) can meet up to fly sometime. I'm at my farm in the midwest now.

iceman

Here is the same video posted above but with no stabilization applied. I flew some more today, and I found that using stronger "hold strength" values (config->expert) eliminates much of the small bouncing in the footage you can see below.

WOW! I'd say that's about as good as it gets, if the last lake you were flying over was your money shot I'd say you nailed it. I don't think I would have added any stabi to that take, this has convinced me that the H3 is the way to go, I had been thinking about the MR but the H3 is a much neater solution and looking at your footage I would be more than happy with that. I wonder if removing the lens hood might help? airflow into it could add extra unwanted forces/movement (obviously flair could be a problem). Thanks for taking your valuable time to post this and I know no one like to show shaky footage but I would be stoked with this H3.

econfly

It may be hard to see in the 1080p vimeo footage, but there are occasional little bounces in the stabilization that shouldn't be there. They are minor and clean up well with stabilization, and I think I have the tuning improved (increased hold strength). Excellent idea re:lens hood. I will try flying without it to see how that affects things.

Skysmith

Drone operator
Vibrations could also come from the frame. I've seen that you have the reinforced top plate but did you also modified the landing gear to reduce the vibrations?

econfly

Vibrations could also come from the frame. I've seen that you have the reinforced top plate but did you also modified the landing gear to reduce the vibrations?

I replaced the top and bottom plates (heavier top plate, bottom plate now covers all arms). No gear modifications. As you can see in the pics, I am flying with the battery on top (the standard S1000 setup has the battery on the same stabilized rails as the gimbal). So, the gimbal is the only thing I have mounted to the stabilized rails.