Greetings from Southern Utah

kolobcoyote

A big hello to all you courageous drone pilots willing to risk life and limb. These things are not as easy to fly as I thought - that is flying to get good video coverage. I'm a videographer who is learning the ropes of quad flying, now I'm hooked for good. I want to tune in to the experiences of others to help me make safe flights with good equipment. I picked up a lot of quad information at the NAB 2015 convention in Las Vegas.. Here's the video if you care to watch..

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to MultiRotor forums. Looks like you are located in one of my favorite areas of the country - and one that provides countless chances to get great aerial video.

Thanks for posting the NAB coverage. Seems "drones" took up a lot of floor space and attention.

What type of rig are you flying? Cameras? Gimbals?

Have fun and fly safe!

kolobcoyote

Thank you for your interest, yes there are many spectacular scenic spots in Southern Utah and one need not visit a National Park. I'm still using my old Phantom 1 with a gimbal, FPV and a GoPro3+. Quite honestly I've been disappointed with the Phantom for aerial video coverage. It's a great flying machine however for getting the 'right' video footage - this has been difficult for me. I've got the new 3DR Solo package on order and hope I won''t be disappointed again. The solo is equipped with the software to make videos I can sell.

Do you do any video coverage with your rig ?
Roger

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I have used the Phantom 2 for video as well, which produced decent results, but also left me wanting something "more."

So I have wrestled with getting better footage from larger rigs, and have become quite frustrated by the larger gimbals and their controllers. I'm still trying though! :)

I've debated whether the Inspire or Solo Would be the way to go. But have started to lean toward an all-in-one gimbal solution. A larger gimbal that comes complete with a controller by the same company - which has been thoroughly tested for that specific gimbal.

The internal debate continues though. Good luck with the solo. Looks like a cool option.