Greetings from a total newb in sunny southern California!

Howdy folks!

Here is my epic intro, so grab a beer and have a seat!

I am a software engineer by trade but my wife of 18 years is a camera operator. About 2 years ago, she dropped her membership in IATSE and decided to focus on corporate / small business promotional work. This has been going really well for her as she makes much better rates than union scale. For about the last year or so she has been hiring a local UAV owner/operator to cover her aerial video needs.

Last friday I come home and I notice a new pelican case in with the others that she uses for her gear. I text her and ask her what it is and she says it's a drone. Bear in mind, I do not know drones/RC tech from shineola...

I ask why and she says she is tired of telling someone else what she wants and she needed a shot that the UAV guy just could not pull off...So she bought a drone and did the shot herself.

I ask if I can take it outside and fly it. She says NO! DO NOT TOUCH IT! She says it cost $3K and I will just fly it into a tree. So I say OK, whatever...

Four days ago I come home from work and there is a new Dromida Kodo box on my desk. So I grab it and ask her if this is my consolation prize. She says no. She says "When you can fly that, you can fly my drone".

So I say OK, how hard can this be? So I break out the little manual and consume it. Charge the battery and attempt to fly it. It slams into me after I give it a little throttle so I trim it out and try again. Now I can sort of get it off the ground and keep it in a general area stable for a few seconds before I slam it into a wall or bookshelf or the floor.

The wife is watching and suggests I go outside with it. Once outside I am struggling with the same issues and I tell her I think that it's defective. She says "Gimme the controller". I hand it to her and she proceeds to fly the thing like she is Baron Von Richthofen.

I am floored. Holy crap! Where the hell did you learn to do this????

She points out to me that her father's hobby was (and still is) RC and that her father taught her to fly when she was a teen and she flew them most weekends until she left home.

I've been with this woman for 20 years - 18 of em married. The things you learn...

Anyway, I am a flat out newbie on this stuff.

Been looking at this site:
http://quadcopter101.blogspot.com/2013/10/chapter-1-introduction-to-quadcopters.html

YouTube videos. Downloaded the manual for the wife's drone and consumed that...

But, I am all in. Now that the band broke up, I have time to burn. This stuff is fascinating!

So, hi!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to Multirotorforums! Sounds like you're off to a typical start. Fly. Crash. Repeat :)

But you also seem to have been bitten by the bug. So welcome aboard and feel free to ask any questions you have. Lots of folks here always willing to help.