GPS Module diagnose

roblysak

Hello guys, need some help to diagnose an issue on my phantom 1. The original issue was when i pluged in my battery, i received a constant beep beep beep with no lights. I replace a bunch of parts and prior to plugging in the GPS on the lid, i plugged in and i received the wonderful chirp and flashing green saying that i have a go. After that i unplugged and connected the GPS and received the beep beep beep and no lights. I continued to diagnose by connecting the wires to the MC board and to the GPS on the lid, and disconnecting the cable at the sliver box (compass)on its landing leg, plugged in and got the chirp with green lights. If i connected the cable at the compass i received the beep beep beep.... no lights. Any ideas on this one, thinking it is a compass failure????

Last edited by a moderator:

D

DJITech

I replace a bunch of parts and prior to plugging in the GPS on the lid, i plugged in and i received the wonderful chirp and flashing green saying that i have a go.

Hi, I do not think it is a compass failure. What parts did you replace? Did your phantom crash?

roblysak

Hi, I do not think it is a compass failure. What parts did you replace? Did your phantom crash?

Yes, had a crash, in the Sea and familiar with electronics and salt water as i operate a dive shop. I was able to retrieve it very quickly and washed it out with fresh water immediately followed with a wash with Isopropanol. I did run well for a month or so until the parts started to fail. Here is what i have replaced so far: All 4 motors with Anti Gravitys, all 4 ESC units, the MC board (upgraded kit) and the NAZA unit ( i could have bought a new Phantom). At this point it did run but with no GPS in the assistant. When trying to diagnose this, when i unplugged the compass it would run, when connected to the compass, i get two chirps followed by the "beep beep beep beep..... I believe I made the mistake of unplugging the compass while the unit was powered and now all i get is the same two chirps followed by the "beep beep beep beep. I am thinking i blew the MC board now as well. So far into this bird now its hard to turn back! Any advice or just keep replacing?

channel 1

I believe I made the mistake of unplugging the compass while the unit was powered and now all i get is the same two chirps followed by the "beep beep beep beep. I am thinking i blew the MC board now as well. So far into this bird now its hard to turn back! Any advice or just keep replacing?
I doubt unplugging the compass while powered up would damage the MC as the compass is powered out of the GPS.

What you might want to try is to carefully peel off the GPS shield and give the GPS a close examination for any corrosion and if you see any the GPS is probably shot as well as the compass.

The problem with salt water damage is, it takes a lot of rinsing with distilled water to wash every bit of the salt out and once you dunked it in alcohol that stopped the rinsing as salt will not dissolve in alcohol.

Then what happens is the molecules of salt that are left on the boards being highly hygroscopic gathers moisture from the air becoming conductive and corrosive causing what we call blue sky failures.

Wayne