GPS and Compass problem

Steveinid

I flew my phantom a while ago and crashed it. Not bad but I broke a couple of props. I finally got some replacements in today and took my P2V out to a local park and flew it around for a bit. It flew fine. Suddenly it couldn't keep level and it slowly... about 5 feet per second... fell to the ground. It crashed and the battery flew out, the camera came off its mounts and the little ribbon connector popped off. No props broke. I think the camera came loose while flying. I didn't check it before todays flight which I should have because as I mentioned, it crashed the last time I flew it. I think that is what brought it down. Either way, it crashed and I had to put it back together.

Now, I got it all set up and powered up. I tried to do the compass thing which I've done quite a few times before with no problems. Now, the lights won't turn green. They just keep flashing yellow. So, I shut it down and power it back up. All seems fine. This time I decide to let it connect to the satellites. It won't connect to the satellites. I sit and wait and the little satellite symbol doesn't even register. Zero satellites.

I bring it home and open it up. No connectors are loose. I pull the gps connector off and plug it back in. (I used to work on radars in the Navy so I know how to unplug a connector for those who might caution me :) ) I check all the connectors and everything looks fine. I take it outside (with props removed) and start it up. No compass lock, no GPS lock. No green lights.

Any ideas on what I might do.

Thanks
Steve

Steveinid

I need to add one thing. When I flip the switch back and forth to put it into calibration mode, it won't enter calibration mode. The lights won't turn a steady yellow, they continue to be a flashing yellow.

cootertwo

Can't believe nobody has responded yet. Just a guess here, but it sounds like your controller has took a dump, on one of those last 2 crashes.:upset:

Tahoe Ed

Try and connect it to assistant and see what is going on in there. If possible do the Advanced calibration and then try to do the Compass calibration. Check the Tx calibration and the function of the Mode switch. Are you getting video from your camera to your Tx based device? Wifi working properly? Is the camera functioning properly? I am just trying to narrow things down. Thanks for your help doing so.

Steveinid

Cooter, you may be correct. I think it crashed because the controller took a dump as you call it. It was flying fine and then it just started going down. I don't think the camera came loose. I would have noticed it.

Ed... I connect it to the assistant and I see no response from the assistant. I've never used it before but it doesn't seem to acknowledge anything is plugged in. 2nd... I click on the phantom 2 button at the top and it tells me to "connect to the controller". I'm guessing the latter is what some might call a "clue".

I tried to call DJI today but as you can imagine the wait was longer than I had time for.

Anyone know what the model no./part no. of the flight controller is for the Phantom 2 Vision?

Steveinid

Here is the latest. I still haven't contacted DJI.

I thought maybe my cord that I used to connect from the computer to the P2V might be bad so I used a different one and VOILA... it was bad. Now I'm hooked up and communicating with the "bird" so to speak.

I did all firmware upgrades as recommended. Did the basic calibration and the advanced calibration. Nothing blew up and I got no errors so I'm guessing it went well.

The s1 mode switch seems to work fine. It responds in the assistant.

I do get video from the camera to my iphone app. The camera functions fine. WiFi works fine far as I can tell.

I'm concerned now that the GPS is the problem. The only thing it won't do is calibrate the compass and connect to the satellites.

CdA D

As far as your camera coming off I use a couple of small zip ties through the dampeners/mounts to keep this from happening. I tighten them just before they restrict the dampeners action.

Steveinid

This is a good idea. I have zip ties and I will be putting those on.

I've done quite a bit more reading and I'm convinced it is either the compass or the gps module. The compass is cheap so I just ordered one and when I get it I will put it on and know. FYI... the compass readings don't respond in the assistant.

If it isn't the compass then it has to be the gps board. Everything else works.

Steveinid

Got my compass in today. Put it on, plugged it in, and it WORKS. I am able to do a calibration now. Well, the lights now turn solid yellow letting me know it is in calibration mode. It's a bit too windy at the moment so I will be going out later this evening or later this week.

I'm excited.

Steveinid

Well... I took it out and calibrated it. I got 12 satellites but the green light kept flashing. It didn't turn a solid green like I understand it should. I took it up in the air and it suffers from the toilet bowl effect horribly. It had it before but it seems to be worse now. The weather has been uncooperative here... wind and rain, so I only had it out for about 15 minutes.

When I get a nice day I'll take it to a wide open space and give it a chance to behave itself.

Will keep you updated.