Got a used Tarot 810. Starting the rebuild process.

photojunky

Hello dronevibes, about 4 months ago I got a Syma X5, then the X8G, a cheap racing 250 quadcopter, and then the Phantom 3 advanced. Now, I just bought a used Tarot 810 Hexacopter I am going to rebuild. I wish I got into this years ago. I have always been into photography and video, and when you add these two hobbies to high altitude shooting.... Wow! Anyway, check out the progress of the build if you like.

violetwolf

Love my T810. I've been flying one for 2-3 seasons now. It's been through a few different configurations as I've learned what worked and didn't.

I'm going to be doing some videos featuring the machine itself, gimbal, radios etc. Over the next few weeks. In prep for that I've been taking a bunch of photos. I'll try to post them here for you in the next day or two. :)

violetwolf

Hi PhotoJ, Sorry it took a few days to get this done.. Real life always in the way of the fun stuff!

Anyway here are a bunch of pics of my 810. You've probably noticed by now that space is at a premium on these machines, due to the fact you can't mount any electronics between the plates. My main fix for that is the "stack" between the batteries to hold the flight controller, RX, BEC, and antennae: GPS, Ground station TX, and RX. ESC's are boom mounted under the motors for extra cooling. (Note you need to add extra capacitors if you do this). The Damping Plate for the gimbal is from Tarot with some modifications to adapt to the Famous Hobby quick release. Damper balls are stuffed with foam earplugs and drawn down tight with through-bolts to reduce "shimmy".

Motors are T-Motor 3515's

Batteries are twin 5000 mA 6s

The gimbal is a custom unit that I built as a prototype from Famous Hobby parts, and a Phobotic Centerpiece controller. It's my "poor mans Movi"... Superior functionality at a fraction of the cost. It will handle a Canon 5D which I flew for the last two years. I'm now in the process of setting it up to fly my new Sony a6300 .. (As a side note Famous and I now have the BG-001 through BG-005 series gimbals which direct knockoffs of the Movi frames. Coupled with the Phobotic they are easily a direct competitor functionally.)

Hope this helps with your build. I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

UAV Media Pros.jpg UAV Media Pros-2.jpg UAV Media Pros-3.jpg UAV Media Pros-4.jpg UAV Media Pros-5.jpg UAV Media Pros-6.jpg UAV Media Pros-7.jpg UAV Media Pros-8.jpg UAV Media Pros-9.jpg UAV Media Pros-10.jpg UAV Media Pros-11.jpg UAV Media Pros-12.jpg UAV Media Pros-13.jpg UAV Media Pros-14.jpg

Attachments

• UAV Media Pros.jpg
    UAV Media Pros.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 332
  • UAV Media Pros-2.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-2.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 286
  • UAV Media Pros-3.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 316
  • UAV Media Pros-4.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 295
  • UAV Media Pros-5.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 651
  • UAV Media Pros-6.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-6.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 323
  • UAV Media Pros-7.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-7.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 298
  • UAV Media Pros-8.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-8.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 318
  • UAV Media Pros-9.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-9.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 312
  • UAV Media Pros-10.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-10.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 283
  • UAV Media Pros-11.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-11.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 307
  • UAV Media Pros-12.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-12.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 280
  • UAV Media Pros-13.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-13.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 288
  • UAV Media Pros-14.jpg
    UAV Media Pros-14.jpg
    714.8 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:

photojunky

Incredible. I hope my next build after this build can be half as nice. This build is to learn about parts and programming a flight controller and remote more sophisticated than the librapilot and CC3D programs I've messed around with. I've only been doing this for about 4-5 months. I am still trying to figure out which is the front of the T810 (-: I am hoping to first mount two gopros I have and then if flight worthy my gh2 of 3. Eventually if I want to do an occasional side job I will probably mount a mirrorless 4k camera. People seem to want their videos filmed in 4K now. First I need more flight experience.

Question, do you think a 6s 10000 mA is a good fit to power the six Multistar 4114 320 motors?

Photography and video have been a hobby of mine for about 38 years. I did an art fair once to test the waters and sold 20 photos I printed on canvas with my Epson and coated with a resin epoxy. I build and fix computers on the side for friends, work on cars and have built two tiny homes, so I am hoping to be a quick learner with the drones. I have to admit, flying drones and filming from the heavens has consumed me, but like you said, real life gets in the way.

Anyway, thanks for your post and photos.

violetwolf

Question, do you think a 6s 10000 mA is a good fit to power the six Multistar 4114 320 motors?

Anyway, thanks for your post and photos.

Thanks for the kind words PhotoJ. It's been a 3 year long project with at least two complete rebuilds to refine things to this stage.

For battery, yes I think you should be looking at 6s for sure. Then I'd recommend using two batteries as opposed to one big one. Two will give you the ability to land if a cell fails. It's always nice to have that redundancy. I'm using two 5000 instead of one 10k. When I buy new batteries I'll probably bump that up to two 6000 mA batts to see if I can get more flight time. (power to weight ratio may negate the extra 2k though so we'll see)

I get about 14 minutes with no camera, and about 10 mins with the canon which is a heavy beast. I'm thinking that by going to the lighter Sony a6300 (1/2 the weight) that I should get around 12 mins with my current batts.

BTW on the topic of cameras I'm REALLY loving the Sony a6300. I got it intending to stay a "Canon Guy" and just use the a6300 for aerial. Let's just say that all my Cannon gear is now up for sale. ;) The photos above were shot on the a6300

violetwolf

Oh one important heads up; The folding booms are threaded into the aluminum sockets and supposed to be factory glued so they don't twist... but the glue tends to fail. So, once leveled, we owners tend to drill a small hole and put a set screw in so the booms can't rotate in their socket. You can see that in my 10th photo above.

photojunky

I looked up the sony and I believe it was 9 OZ's vs the one pound my GH2 weighs. It also films in 4k which is good.
I have always had canon from my first AE1 program, to my 7D and now 70D. I've never had a full frame. I got the money but I am just too cheap. I loved the 7D but it did not focus in video mode. I like the 70D but the uato focus failed me at my daughters graduation so I am mad at it right now. For video the GH series has been amazing. I hacked my gh1 & 2, and the 3 didn't need it. I would hesitate sending the 3 into space. The Sony a6300 got good reviews so maybe it is time to part with something.

photojunky

Everything in the video plus a little more came with the hexacopter from eBay for $207. Next video I will show everything and the work I will be doing in a couple of days. So to answer your question, no I did not add those yellow stripes, it came with the deal.

violetwolf

Sorry I should have put a name to that post (Violetwolf) sorry

Hi Chalagi, I got those at the automotive parts store (Lordco here in Vancouver). They are reflective stickers that you see on the sides of semi truck trailers and such. They help quite a bit but I have been planning to add lights at some point as well.

Chalagi

I have added lights to my 810 in front and back. Green in front and red in back and that has helped me greatly.