GoPro Video taken on my quad

rwilabee

When I take video from the quad which is using the DJI WK-M using my GoPro sometimes it comes out looking like jello for lack of a better word. Any ideas on how I could mount the GoPro to lessen the vibration, at least that is what I think is causing it.

Thanks

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
When I take video from the quad using my GoPro sometimes it comes out looking like jello for lack of a better word. Any ideas on how I could mount the GoPro to lessen the vibration, at least that is what I think is causing it.

Thanks

Rich

Rich, I had a similar problem with my gopro on my Draganflyer. What I did was add a little bit of extra weight to the camera mount, which stopped the high frequency vibration. I found that the camera was too light for the mount and was vibrating.

Hope that helps,

Gunter.

rwilabee

Right now I'm using the clear camera case that came with the GoPro. The camera slides inside and then it slides in to a plastic foot and then double stick tape to the quad. What type of camera mount were you using that you could add weight to it.

Thanks

Rich

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
there are basically 2 approaches to this problem. 1) add mass, lots of it. 2) get rid of the vibration completely starting with balancing props.

The gopro and other cheap CMOS chips will always show the rolling shutter more than higher end cameras. But i can say since I went to a larger craft, I have near flawless video. And I did not balance my props, which are 12x3.8 APC's.

rwilabee

Thanks for the info. If you want to see what I'm talking about and let me know what you think you can check some of my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/rwilabee

Rich

there are basically 2 approaches to this problem. 1) add mass, lots of it. 2) get rid of the vibration completely starting with balancing props.

The gopro and other cheap CMOS chips will always show the rolling shutter more than higher end cameras. But i can say since I went to a larger craft, I have near flawless video. And I did not balance my props, which are 12x3.8 APC's.

Tahoe Ed

Rich,

Here is a video with my WK-M hard mounted to an ArduCopter frame. When I say hard mounted I mean a piece of CF bolted to the frame and the GoPro attached with velcro and a velcro strap. The video is stabilized with iMovie, not the best, but I think that considering everything was good enough for FPV.

This is raw video with the same set up:

Not a lot of Jello. I think that the issues that you are having is the GoPro mount on a stalk that is prone to vibration and only stuck to the frame with double stick tape. I would look for a more solid mount and see if that helps you.

Last edited by a moderator:

tumad

additional weight?

HI, just to confirm your statements.
1. going to a larger craft with slower rotating props gave you better footage
2. adding some weight to the tilt axis where the Gopro is mounted helps..

Question. do both above result in better footage? or is either one or the other true?

I personally found faster rotating props (10") yield better results.. but am always ready to experiment..

Please confirm.. :)

Bowley

When I take video from the quad which is using the DJI WK-M using my GoPro sometimes it comes out looking like jello for lack of a better word. Any ideas on how I could mount the GoPro to lessen the vibration, at least that is what I think is causing it.

Thanks

Rich

I was getting a problem with jello effect for a while, I found that one of my motor shafts was just slightly bent, I changed this but still had some jello, I balanced my props which improved things a little.
what vibration there was left I took care of with Align anti vibration gel, (similar or the same as Zeal) it works a treat, and it is well able to stick a cased gopro to the bottom of your MR. Although I like to use a small lanyard just in case.
Also if you dont mind the 170 FOV to much and slightly lower resolution you could set your gopro to 60fps, that helps a lot.

kloner

Aerial DP
see how your camera jiggles just setting it down. is it on the long tab on the bottom plate? if it is, that's 90% of your problem. Get a set of legs from yuri and hang the cam for easiest best results. either from a bat wing or from the bottom the way you are mounted now, but in the middle of the bottom plate where it doesn't flex. my vids looked alot like yours when i had mine mounted to that long tab.

tumad

additional weight

I must confirm that after adding a 90g flatbar steel weight to the tilt axis of my standard MK gimbal, the jello was totally diminished.