GoPro Hero HD lens mod

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The new lens arrived yesterday afternoon so last night I disassembled the GoPro and did the swap. It's a pretty easy job, the toughest part is doing the focus afterward, I hooked the GoPro directly into my Fatshark FPV goggles with live feed on and did the adjustment that way. You could also connect the GoPro to a TV set for focusing as well, just about any method will work as long as you have a clear view of what the camera is seeing.

Overnight we also got another 13 inches of snow dumped on us making for roughly 5 feet of the stuff in the last thirty days, this is starting to get old...:rolleyes:

So here's a short test vid I did after plowing out the driveway again, GoPro is tywrapped to an old HiSight II mount hung under the Hoverfly quad so it's not quite as steady as it would be had I used the Hexa, but good enough to get an idea of the difference the lens makes. Just for comparison I'll add the link to one of the first test flights of the GoPro on the Hoverfly made a day or two ago so you can see how much the lens straightens out the view from the GoPro.

Here's the GoPro with the stock lens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTGGtaH4ggc

And here's the same camera on the same quad with the new lens...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiDnDLgmwaw

I want to get out to a big field with the GoPro on the Hexa for a good test flight but as you can see from the snowbanks around the house, that probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ken can you take a few photos with it and post um up? What file size are they?. If they are to big to post at full res I will send you a link to my HD is the sky where u will be upload any size file

Dave

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Dave,

It's getting dark here now, I'll see if I can get a few snaps tomorrow. I don't recall ever using the GoPro for stills except for maybe as a test to see what they looked like and then the fisheye effect convinced me to use the Canon SX 200 with CHDK to get still shots. I have on occasion pulled stills out of the video stream and cropped them down a bit so they look normal but it's been a while since I did that, don't recall how big the original was though I suspect it would probably be about the same as a still taken in snapshot mode.

I'll play around with it and let you know what I get, I can pop them up on Photobucket and put the link here. First I'll have to read the manual again to see how to do it!

Ken