GoPro Hero 2 for FPV camera

I currently have an Immersion RC 5.8 Ghz 600 mW transmitter and use it with a small FatShark camera.

1.) Would it be advantageous to get my FVP video signal from the GoPro? (I would expect the wider field of view would be better.)

2.) and if that is possible, what type of adapter or cable would I need?

3.) If the Hero 2 was wired as my FPV cam, would the field of view in my FatShark goggles change if I set different FOV setting the the GoPro?

View attachment 9825Thanks in advance for your advice.

Attachments

• 20130121_141101.jpg
    20130121_141101.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 395

kloner

Aerial DP
yes you can. it is a wire for hero2 live out,,, it works alright, esp if your comparing to that cam. the main reason to use a seperate bord cam is to get a higher quality picture in the downlink. the WDR feature the higher end cams have makes it so you can look at the sun and see in the shaddows while doing it. works great especialy if you fly sunrise/sunset. those cams flip to black and white low light modes....

but to start out, the live feed is fine

the fov does change, kinda the problem. it's only full screen in wvga and 960 mode, it is top and bottom letterbox in any good mode you record in

I was hoping someone could point me to an adapter wire I'd need to hook the GoPro Hero 2 to the Immersion RC 5.8 Ghz 600 mW transmitter. Kloner, can you explain this: " separate bord cam"

I learned the hard way that the sun hitting that small fatshark cam lens can blow out enough detail to loose the ability to navigate. Would you expect the GoPro would give much better video to my goggles?

Razzil

I use this one from NGHobbies.com located in Canada and this one from Hobby Wireless in the States. ReadyMadeRC also has them.
I've been using the GoPro2 as my main fpv feed in 1080p 30fps mode which gives you the wider view but the top and bottom are black.
I don't mide that as much either as the EzOSD info fits in the black areas perfect and the info is easier to read.
The one thing about using the GoPro as your video feed ... is the battery, always make sure its charged fully before leaving the house.
If that battery goes dead, so does your video feed, that's why the people recommend the onboard cameras.

kloner

Aerial DP
board cams are what we as fpv flyers use to look thrrough. they have WDR and it is a really big deal if your in and out of light or if you look at alot of sun like sunrise/sunset. running a seperate camera also let you have a full screen live feed where on a hero, you got huge black areas top and bottom of the image on all ways to look through it. only fix is to use 960 but that aint HD

DSC01392%20%281024x574%29_795.jpg

004%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

026%20%281024x767%29_795.jpg

i do use live feed from hero but only for framing/other people to look through like directors

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm spoiled

there stiffer and there available in the 12"-15" sizes i use. them shown are the nitro version, super thick and more of an airfoil. there pretty much silent

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
i'm spoiled

there stiffer and there available in the 12"-15" sizes i use. them shown are the nitro version, super thick and more of an airfoil. there pretty much silent

Very interesting but I would think spoiled would be carbon fiber and a manufacture living next to you :) I may someday switch to Graupners but we will see. I lost some flight time moving up to faster motors so I think I'm now "over-propped" or "under-motored" :) Going to be switching to 1000kv next and try that out, the 1350kv is too much I think. I need to put her in the air and FPV with them first and then I'll make the final call, maybe good throttle control with TOO MUCH POWER isn't such a bad thing. We will see!

kloner

Aerial DP
I like my gear too much to run cf props. that just fakes things didn't happen. the xoars are $40 a pair, that's rich enough for my blood

Graupners are alright but they just came out with 12", biggest before that was 11". the nitro xoar make lift with less horsepower than the same electric

1350 is, has and always will be too many kv for multirotors. That's why you don't see multi rotor specific motors that high of kv. we have a certain set of props available, you have to work within there parameters and your cell count to make an efficient rpm to fly at. 1200 is considered high, 3s 10" and lacks powerif i remember right you want it to be 80% under the tips breaking the speed of sound as the max rpm

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I like my gear too much to run cf props. that just fakes things didn't happen. the xoars are $40 a pair, that's rich enough for my blood

Graupners are alright but they just came out with 12", biggest before that was 11". the nitro xoar make lift with less horsepower than the same electric

1350 is, has and always will be too many kv for multirotors. That's why you don't see multi rotor specific motors that high of kv. we have a certain set of props available, you have to work within there parameters and your cell count to make an efficient rpm to fly at. 1200 is considered high, 3s 10" and lacks powerif i remember right you want it to be 80% under the tips breaking the speed of sound as the max rpm

I've seen many, many people use 1200Kv but usually that's for Quads. Since I couldn't get any information on here from anyone on the subject when I posted I had to give it a shot and now I know and I also posted on it for others. I'll probably end up getting the 1000Kv motors but only after I fly these 1350Kv's to see what's what. I can tell you, they have MADDDDDDD power....if I had to guess with the 750Kv I'd say I could go straight up at full power at maybe 20 feet a second, with the 1350Kv I can probably do 35 feet per second lol. They never really get super hot but they WILL pull 30A each in manual under full load at full burst. My battery packs will do 200A max so at least that's "tuned" per-say. Like I said, going to test these, post the results and a video and then I'll most likely end up getting the 1000Kv's and selling my others.

kloner

Aerial DP
the distro board in a dji hex is suppose to be good for 80 amps

try 900 or 770...... you will be able to prop right. usually 4lbs camera rigs aren't suppose to be fast, slow and smooth. your chasing tail in no mans land with anything else. these multi rotors didn't just fall off the truck

most people that upgrade to 770 on flamewheels use the arm extensions and they run 11" props for up to 3.5 lbs, over that is 12"

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
board cams are what we as fpv flyers use to look thrrough. they have WDR and it is a really big deal if your in and out of light or if you look at alot of sun like sunrise/sunset. running a seperate camera also let you have a full screen live feed where on a hero, you got huge black areas top and bottom of the image on all ways to look through it. only fix is to use 960 but that aint HD

DSC01392%20%281024x574%29_795.jpg

004%20%281024x768%29_795.jpg

026%20%281024x767%29_795.jpg

i do use live feed from hero but only for framing/other people to look through like directors

Dang it! I need to get one of those wings. That looks like the ZII, is that what that is? 60'? What motor/ESC you like on there? Also, what film or cover is that? I was looking at their website and they have a black one on there but I can't quite figure out exactly what it is, looks like canvas maybe.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
the distro board in a dji hex is suppose to be good for 80 amps

try 900 or 770...... you will be able to prop right. usually 4lbs camera rigs aren't suppose to be fast, slow and smooth. your chasing tail in no mans land with anything else. these multi rotors didn't just fall off the truck

most people that upgrade to 770 on flamewheels use the arm extensions and they run 11" props for up to 3.5 lbs, over that is 12"

Hey, never saw this response sorry. I could make these 1350's work but they are probably over-the-top, going to fly them soon in the SAND PIT I test everything in that way if it hits the dirt at least it's soft They don't have 900's and the closest is 1000Kv 310W. Also keep in mind, I'm NOTTTTTT a camera rig guy. I fly fast, fun, sport, camera, slow and all of the above times 10 on a regular basis. I don't want a 10lb bulky camera rig anymore than I do a 300mm Quad :) I think you hit the nail on the head though, 900 or 1000Kv is probably the trick. I'll post a video of these 1350Kv's though, should be entertaining to LISTEN as much as watch lol... Who knows though, I may just make one lap around the pit and go home if it's too crazy :D

"the distro board in a dji hex is suppose to be good for 80 amps", they can say that if they want to but I've run double that with NO HEAT afterwards on the Hexa. Is that for the Quad maybe? Those runs in the board should be good for 100A+ sustained at 15V or so. Remember that even big building wire (6ga which is probably equivalent here to these runs) will flow HUGE current at 120VAC. At 15VDC and 100A you should see minimal heat over say 60 seconds or so. I have a thermal sensor, attached to the board and it's taped down, to the Eagle Tree OSD and it never goes above 88.1F even at 1500W or 14.5V@103A which is what I'm running now. These things have MASSIVE airflow going over them. My motors don't get warm or hot in flight, they do that after I land.

Last edited by a moderator:

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
yes, ritewings. i got 60" zii, 70" ZXR and 81" ZXL in the fleet. the zxl sports the nex5. the zxr is a 130mph plane...... all of em are long range fpv type

you get them from ritewing. The covering you saw is vinyl like I show above except it's printed carbon fiber

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/zIIvII/
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/zxr/
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/zxl/
i'm sponsored by them so my view is skewed

Yeah, I'll be getting one...I'll use your name in the comments section when I do. :) I've always prefered the ZII over the others anyway. The bigger versions are cool but way too big for me to transport easily and 60" is hard enough. I'm sure the 60" is now slouch and the wing you have with the black and orange is sick!