GoPro 4 Hero Black with DJI H3-2D and H3-3D gimbals

Tahoe Ed

I have a GP4 and wanted to share my experiences with it on both the H3-2D and the H3-3D v1. I connected the GP4 to my H3-2D on my P2 with iOSD mini and AVL58. I got OSD output but no video. I moved it to my H3-3D which is on a P2 with Lightbridge. This is a v1 unit with the 30 pin back connector. I have it connected via the HDMI port on the GP4. I was able to record and see live video out at 2.7k, however at 4k the video out froze. It may be a limitation of the GP4 and the processing power available.

It appears that the H3-3D v2 with the usb connection does not have issues. Here are my test at 4K and 2.7K. Note that I have not added any counter weights. I tried the penny fix and it made things worse. I do not recommend that you add any other offsets to the H3-3D with GP4.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoe Ed

It depends. On my Lightbridge, I usually use a Atomos Ninja Blade in HDMI for my monitor not the phone. I only use it to change the parameters. If I am flying without the LB then I prefer my iPad mini. It doesn't matter sometimes you have to shade the monitor to get a usable view.

Tahoe Ed

I don't have a H3-3D v2 only the v1 with the 30 pin rear connector. I will say that on my H3-2D and my H3-3D, neither of them have activated wifi without me pressing the switch. If you have the issue then yes do the mod, if not then why?

ddikie

Hi guys just got the GP4 black and put it into my Hd 3d V1 zenmuse via iosd mini outputting via the 30 pin connector and nada..no video signal at 4k to Video TX..did not try any thing else read a few places that it does not work..as I mostly fly FPV to frame my shots I am gutted..is there a suitable work around or do i have to by a V2? any help appreciated?

ddikie

Hi ED tried at all settings and it's not working at all no signal to video tx.. I swap it for hero 3 black + and no problems at all... What could it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Running a H3-3D and GoPro 4 black... no light bridge and tested 4k, 2.7k, 1080, the new 120 frames 1080 and all settings worked fine. OSD mini and all video acting just as it should!

Will check and see which version I have so I can update everyone. Cheers- Mike

ddikie

And your using a video tx for fpv? Would be interested to know which version

Buzz_Roavr

Hi ED tried at all settings and it's not working at all no signal to video tx.. I swap it for hero 3 black + and no problems at all... What could it be?

Check whether you are set on NTSC or PAL.

ddikie

Guys I have tried both NTSC & PAL with no luck on H3-3D V1, fyi i am using Immersion RC 600MW 5.8 GHZ TX and Fat share goggles..i am not getting any video through the back 30 pin connector..do i have to upgrade to V3-3D V2 with the mini HDMI ribbon cable - bypassing the 30 pin connector to get this to work? Can somebody who has got this working with GP H4 black & Zenmuse check and get back to me don't want to buy yet an other gimble..

Yup, I'm using it on a phantom 2, with the version of the H3-2d that has the connector going into the hdmi as opposed to the 30 pin. For video downlink I'm using a flyweight black pearl monitor and a 32 channel downlink setup. Running the TS832 from Aerial Media Pros. Its also paired with the iosd mini and soldered in, as opposed to using a DJI fpv hub.

And your using a video tx for fpv? Would be interested to know which version

seagee

I'm experiencing poorer live view video quality with the Hero 4 black on H3-3D Zenmuse than with Hero 3+ in the same gimbal.

I'm using a TS832 VTX on the craft and a Black Pearl RPSMA monitor. Signal is glitching when just a few feet away from the craft. Problem appears worse in PAL format.

What's interesting is that results differ between NTSC and PAL formats (changing both Hero 4 and monitor Rx correspondingly)

Upgrading the latest GP Hero 4 firmware (14 Oct 2014) seems to have improved things marginally but the signal is nowhere near as consistent as with Hero 3+ with all other components equal. Anti-interference filter is in place on the Phantom 2

The gimbal is reasonably well balanced. Video output is via ribbon cable to USB port on the Hero 4 thus the gimbal is the newer type.

Glitching occurs inconsistently between every second to 20 seconds. Feint horizontal lines travelling down the screen are also evident. Output quality from my Hero3+ in the same H3-3D gimbal is much better.

Is anyone else experiencing this or similar problems?

alexoki

Guys I have tried both NTSC & PAL with no luck on H3-3D V1, fyi i am using Immersion RC 600MW 5.8 GHZ TX and Fat share goggles..i am not getting any video through the back 30 pin connector..do i have to upgrade to V3-3D V2 with the mini HDMI ribbon cable - bypassing the 30 pin connector to get this to work? Can somebody who has got this working with GP H4 black & Zenmuse check and get back to me don't want to buy yet an other gimble..

This a bit of a downer. I have just entered the DJI P2 world after getting a GP4 and have the same problems with my HD-3D V1 gimbal with the 30 pin back connector.
Anyone managed to dig up any further info or a possible fix for this problem of no video output from the GP4 with the V1 gimbal?
Also is it possible to purchase one of the USB ribbon cables that are on the newer HD-3D gimbals and attach it to the V1 gimbal/GP4?

Sorry, this is off topic but does anyone know who manufactures that yellow snap fit connection that is seen at the end of AEA737' video to secure the GP to the H3-3D?

alexoki

Just a quick follow up to my own question above. I have now got both the video and mini osd working from my H3-3D V1 gimbal with the gopro4. To cut a long story short I connected a video out cable via the usb port on the gp4 and joined this to the video-in cables on the mini osd. I then attached the video-out cables from the mini osd to the video-in cables on my Immersion TX. So far its working as expected with video and osd data to the monitor!

Wanted to share a low light test. Shot at 2.7k medium/48fps on the Hero 4 Black... pretty impressed over the 3+, let me know your thoughts:

Last edited by a moderator: