Good budget for gopro platform

MachSpeed

Hi everyone,

I'm sourcing a multi copter for a gopro platform to carry a 3D housing, so 2 go pros in one case. More than double the weight of the usual single case. I'm assisting a friend who is working on a videography project. She wants to be able to see what the cameras are seeing, but I think the wifi from a smartphone won't provide sufficient range.

Budget is around $1500.

so requirements are;
- live feed back to goggles (ideal) or some sort of display
- carry payload of at least 400g (14oz)
- easy to fly
- RTF or ARTF
- super stable
- gps with return home if out of range, switch off handset, lose signal etc.
- compact for transport
- range of 100m should be sufficient

So most of you know more than I do about what is on the market, what do you suggest? Any suggestions, advice, opinions....would be greatly appreciate.

Regards,

MachSpeed

Looks as if we are both looking for almost the same thing. I have about the same budget and having a hard time trying to narrow things down to a few models. I did find the one made my 3DRobotics very cool and would fit in the price range. As for the payload you would have to see what each will carry. I want to carry the gopro and a FPV system so that when I send it out on an Autonomous GPS flight I can watch what where it is going. Let me know what you find and I will write back if I come across anything else

MachSpeed

Thanks for the reply jakestream1953, I'll check out 3drobotics and let u know if I hear of anything else. Now I'm searching FPV systems online

cheers.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I guess you'd have to go with the gopro housing hardmounted since the width would require a larger size gimbal. You can get live tv out while in 3d mode but you'll have to drill a hole or 2 in your case.
My list-
F550 kit not rtf, you've got to have SOME skill to put these back together at some point, some simble basic soldering exercises and flight controller programming and you're in the air (how long is up to you). price-look around, complete kits with gps and naza lite bout 500 bucks.
For your live video feed, quick and easy-5.8 immersion transmitter bout 80.00 (hard to find sometimes but show up used for 50-60 bucks)
Video receiver go with the immersion uno 5.8, I got mine for like 55.00 shipped used, works fine for what I need. new they're around 80 to a hundred bucks.
Set of 5.8 clover leaf antennae (lots of choices just get a matching set and ALWAYS have an antennae on you transmitter when it's powered up even on the bench) 30-50 bucks.
Live out gopro cable 6-20 bucks depending on camera)
Batteries/charger budget 200-250, you can go alot cheaper but this would get you a decent charger and at least 4 quality batteries in the 3s to 4s range.
Radio transmitter- prices are wide open from 40 bucks up to second mortgage kind of bucks. Quality depends on how much you value what your flying and with everything you're wanting to do you'll need at least and 8 channel radio. Figure spending at least 200.
Goggle versus monitor's- For the price of one halfway decent set of goggles you could buy at least 2 small monitors, I'd go with monitors to start. I got my foxteck 8" used for 80 shipped, new around 100.
Don't be afraid of looking for used fpv gear, a lot of guys buy it and never use it.

F550 kit- 500
Batteries- 250
Video Tx- 80
Video RX- 100
Radio TX- 200
Cables- 20
Monitor 100

Total 1250.00 plus or minus a couple hundred. None of these prices are written in stone, just off the top of my head for things I've seen around.
sure you could go hobbyking chic and do it for an on paper price of 700 plus or minus but that road gets slippery going downhill fast!

Last edited by a moderator:

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I think the 550 is way overpriced for what it can do.
Build a good rig. This rig is SOLID. gets 12 min flight time on 6000mah (4S) packs

530mm Quad kit- $169 (quad frame US)
landing gear $50
Motors/ESC: Tmotor 770KV motors 40amp esc's $360 (motors $70 ea, esc $20 ea)
Props 12/38 APC - $25 all 4
Super X - $399
Tarot 2D Gimbal; $180
Batteries- $250
Video Tx/RX- $159 (RC Logger)
FPV cam $100 (RCLogger Pro HD
Radio TX- $200
Cables- $20
Monitor $80

View attachment 14291
love this guy. Has never let me down.. 100+ flights now.
I use it for filming things that make me nervous to take my big rigs up or when someone wants to shoot with a gopro.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 251

tstrike

pendejo grande
I've got the exact same frame and lg set and I love it also, almost to the point of stripping my seldom flown hex and building a bigger quad. I'm currently trying to get it's weight down so I can fly on 9" graups and leopard 960kv's and carry the new feiyu gimbal. I ditched the lg's since the past 3 crashes were due to tiny bounce landings and it tipped, I'll do something at each corner using the motor mount brackets and keep it as low as the gimbal will allow.
There's a zillion different ways you could go for a gopro platform, going your way requires more building knowledge and sourcing all the components separately. The dji kits are more the one stop shop way to go. View attachment 14292 pic of my quadframe in one of it's many forms.

Attachments

• ZRU1.jpg
    ZRU1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 315

When it comes to programming the flight controller, how difficult is that to do. I would not be afraid of building one as you mentioned as I used to work a lot with electronics and I do a fair job when it comes to soldering. Do you by any chance have a video of your drone flying?