Goggles dangerous, hardly but your big heli's are out to get you!

chipwich

Yes, I like watching hot 3D, but they scare the crap out of me, especially when 700+ size (basically flying guillotines) are flown near human beings. Respect the flight line.

hjls3

holy cow- fairly lucky he got struck where he did - higher - blind - throat, worse. - thanks for sharing that Pete, nice reminder...

Old Man

A super hot 3d heli flyer killed himself in front of his Dad in New York or PA earlier this year when the heli pretty much took his head off. There was another really bad one in Texas several years ago.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
There have been a number of deaths in recent years. Most of them are because of people flying dangerously. They fly much too close to themselves. Unfortunately that community can't seem to have a logical discussion about the issue. "He died doing what he loved. It was a freak accident. It wasn't his fault, don't blame the victim! Think of his family! "

Large helis are dangerous, and should be treated with respect. But large multirotors are also quite capable of killing you.

kloner

Aerial DP
if you've ever been to a heli fun fly you'll see people flying at themselves and popping it up last minute, over and over and over. I've spotted standing out there with the pilots on the flight line and it's nerve racking as hell.....

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
It's like juggling chainsaws. But the chainsaw jugglers at least acknowledge the fact that what they're doing is dangerous.

15crewdawg

Somewhat. My nose is still not straight (and probably never will be) too much damage to the cartilage. And still not much in the way of feeling. The nerves didn't regenerate like we had hoped.
But it's there. I didn't lose it and I didn't end up with a prosthetic. I had a GREAT plastic surgeon. Most of the scars are pretty minimal now.
Vision is still a work in progress. Looking at having the cornea reshaped using laser. (Kind of like Lacik.) Hopefully that will fix it.
But like my nose, it's still there and it works. :black_eyed:

Old Man

Large helis are dangerous, and should be treated with respect. But large multirotors are also quite capable of killing you.

Had a discussion on the subject of flight safety with team members this morning. The subject of differences between heli's and multi's came up and it became real interesting when the CEO stated that multi's were different and not as dangerous as large RC heli's. It got real quiet when I asked him how dead differs from dead and noted that both are fully capable of inflicting death or massive and severe injury. The rest of the group pretty much agreed with that. We have a multi swinging 28" props and I can tell ya, I don't like being within 50' of it when they are turning. I was never comfortable hand propping a full scale and multi's with large props take it to the next level of discomfort for me. 3d heli's are justification for watching from inside a blast shelter.

Last edited by a moderator: