Go Pro hero 5

So it looks like go pro may not have jumped the shark after all. The hero 5 is cheaper than the 4 and it has better features plus its waterproof (resistant). No more case. It assembles time lapse into a video without further editing. Shoots 4k, voice activated. Looking forward to seeing some reviews on their new drone.

RogerB

GoPro's announcement is big news, especially considering the company's financial performance. Their stock price has been under-performing all year (see chart attached). Initial reaction to the Karma is less than stellar: "...some are undoubtedly concerned that while GoPro markets Karma as 'much more than a drone,' it lacks key several key features for which many drone enthusiasts had hoped."

Pros: It has a low physical profile, including folding propeller arms and landing gear; a game-style joystick with a touchscreen display. It has a stabilizer that can be removed and mounted to a Karma Grip (good) and a handheld stick that can be mounted to the backpack for world-class stabilized video from a first-person point of view.

Cons: Travis Hoium pointed out in his overview of the "good enough" drone, Karma won't include object avoidance or "follow-me" functionality. Woodman did leave the door open to including follow-me in the future, explaining that GoPro believes the current technology simply isn't up to par with the experience many users demand. For now, Karma includes a feature they call auto shot paths, enabling users to choose from a number of pre-set patterns for semi-antonymous flight.

karma-backpack_large.png

GOPRO KARMA DRONE BACKPACK. IMAGE SOURCE: GOPRO.
GoPro Financial Data Sept 21 2016.png

Attachments

• GoPro Financial Data Sept 21 2016.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 175
  • GoPro Financial Data Sept 21 2016.png
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,527

Time will tell. On the surface it looks like a winner but people have to buy them and like them and they have to keep expanding the line and improving. I would say it boils down to marketing at this point, if they can generate enough interest and get some momentum going it will take off. That's also assuming that its a solid product which we will find out soon enough. I do like the hero 5 though and see myself owning one.

violetwolf

There's a good rant by Tony Northrup on the demise of the consumer camera market. It's effecting the giants like Canon, Nikon etc too, that used to depend on the point and shoot market for a large percentage of their cash flow. In a nutshell the iPhone camera has taken over as the defacto consumer camera / sports camera. He addresses GoPro in it as well. Well worth a watch

I agree, my wife has the newest Samsung galaxy and it takes noticeably good photos. Its frustrating that a drunk college kid on spring break can accidentally take a stunning photo that rivals one a professional photographer with years of experience and thousands of dollars of equipment can. Same thing with the phantom and now the go pro Karma. You can pull out your CC and be taking great drone shots that same afternoon. As far as the go pro hero line of cameras go, they are great but they have a specific niche that they fill. They are best suited strapped onto something for an action shot that couldn't be gotten any other way, and if you search around you will find that there are a ton of Chinese knockoffs that are almost as good as the go pro at a fraction of the price the SJ-4000 being one of them. Consumer electronics is interesting industry. Go to any garage sale or flea market and see stuff at give away prices that only a few years ago was commanding top dollar and was the height of new technology.

BenWhoFlysFast

I will be interested in seeing if the fish-eye effect is as pronounced as it in current versions. A price reduction, voice activation (apparently it will add a highlight marker if it hears 'oh sh#&'...) and water resistant - I'm in. I'm glad the Karma controller has it's own flip up screen too. I don't want to use my phone or tablet as the device's screen, probably why I like the typhoon H's controller also.

The specs say "reduced distortion" so maybe its less. I had a non fish eye lens installed on my hero 3 and they called it "distortion free".