Getting CAA Permission For Aerial Work - PFAW

irishsights

I am planning to go for my PFAW this year to enable me to do commercial work but I have to make a decision fairly quickly due to course placement availability. I have been in contact with both EuroUSC and Resource Group, the folks who run the approved CAA courses. I found them both extremely helpful and patient with all my questions. It seems that Resource have it as far as personal 1 one 1 help is concerned and a free Theory resit if needed. However EuroUSC seem to have it on price both to get the qualification and the annual renewal costs. I thought I would post this here to see if any of you who have been down this road think I have missed something. I have used raw course costs here as I sit my theory in Belfast (which is extra) and would also most likely have to travel to England for the Flight Test. The prices below are for 2 aircraft. Also prices incl VAT.

EuroUSC
BNUC-S Part 1 and Part 2 course and exam fees: £1260
Extra for 2nd Aircraft Flight test: £210
Total: £1470

Resource Group
All -in RPQ-S course, exam, Flight Test and free resit: £1600
Extra for 2nd Aircraft Flight test: £300
Total: £1900

EuroUSC Renewal: £90 (no flight test needed they tell me and therefore no travel costs required)
Resource Group Renewal: £350 (flight test needed they tell me and travel costs will be needed if test is on UK mainland)

Price difference for the Course, EuroUSC are £264 cheaper
Price difference for annual renewals, EuroUSC are £146 cheaper

These prices do not include the CAA first year application fee and Renewal fees. First year for 2 aircraft is £226 and renewal is £114.

These prices differences are significant and I know its not all down to money but I have travel and accommodation to consider too. I know commercial insurance and other factors are needed to be factored in for a business startup. The above is purely to get a PFAW from the CAA.

My question is: From your experience have I missed anything major here? Thank you.

PMaughan

Hello,
I think you've covered it and listed the other costs involved so sounds like you know what to expect. Do expect it to take a long time to get from ground school to PFAW, think it was about 4 months for me.

Just one factor that might sway you, the theory course for BNUC is very easy so I shouldn't worry about any re-sit costs.

I did BNUC and was happy with the whole process and the way they worked.

Pete

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Sounds like you've done your homework to me. I've nothing to add except Resource were/are great to deal with and have quick turnaround times. Took me 6 weeks from groundschool to PFAW.

Andy03

I qualified with Resource last spring, when I rang recently about renewing they said the flight assessment was optional - which surprised me, I thought I had to take it each yr. It didn't take me long to decide I wouldn't go for the option.
Cheers
Andy

deeree

Hi folks,
I'm a newbie to this forum so please forgive me if I'm doing this wrong by hijacking your thread irisheyes. I too am planning to go for my PFAW this year and live in Northern Ireland but am interested to hear how you done your theory test in Belfast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have looked at the same course suppliers and am really interested on what is the most practical way of doing this regarding travel to mainland. If there is an option of doing theory in Belfast I would prefer if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
deeree

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Last year you had two NQEs to look at, this year there are now 14! Best thing to do is get in touch with them all and see who is doing anything in Belfast. You can find the list of NQEs on the CAA website here: click on pilot qualification.

UAVAir

We will be launching a Northern Ireland course in April 2016 (www.uav-air.com). I think one has to be careful and read what each provider offers. Our team is made up of airline pilots and some of the best professional drone pilots in the UK and we aim to have one of each teaching a course, to have the best balance between both sides of aviation. To clarify - year 2, only a paper renewal is needed (no Flight Assessment).

Good luck with your training.

RoryG

I went with ICARUS run by Aerial Motion Pictures, £1,500 total cost. As I live on a remote Scottish island they managed to set up my operational evaluation / flight test immediately after the theory so it was completed in less than three days! My PfAW arrived exactly four weeks after completing the theory / OE, so very happy with that.