Generally speaking - most efficient tilt/pitch angle for max range?

wsalopek

I'm flying a Pixhawk on a hexacopter (F550 frame).

But I am really just looking for a general answer as to the usually most efficient tilt angle for the average multi-rotor (defined as milliamps used vs distance flown).

Specifically...I'd like to know my approximate max range when flying a mission...how far can I fly out and back and still land, with, say, 20% battery left? And at what tilt/pitch angle is that?

Is that maybe a 30-degree pitch forward? More? Less?

I was hoping to get a starting point...for example...

I can imagine the curve, where power is being used as a function of tilt, to go up exponentially as more tilt is commanded (this is assuming the multirotor is also maintaining altitude, which is what I would want on a "mission").

The longest flight time (lowest power use per unit time) is going to be a calm-wind hover...then as tilt is commanded, more power will be needed to maintain altitude, and as the title becomes greater and greater, the curve will start to go exponentially higher, 'til at a theoretical 89.9 degrees of tilt, power required to maintain altitude would be "off the charts".

Anyway, I am thinking a 30-degree pitch/tilt is probably about as much as a person wants to use (if the goal is to maximize range)...but that is just a guess.

Just hoping to get some feedback.

I'd like to program in a tilt angle or speed into my mission planning so as to be able to achieve max range and/or be able to spend the most time "on station".

Of course I realize wind will be a factor, but that is beside the point of this discussion and something I'd need to consider in addition to the most efficient flying tilt/speed.

Thanks...

--

Bill