Gaui Gaui 300X/500X Forum, as requested

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hello everyone,
As requested by Mr. Boris B. I've added a Gaui forum. I nearly owned one of these just before buying an XAircraft 650 so I'm happy to help support those of you that have given a Gaui a welcome place in the world.
Enjoy!
Bart

powerplay

Hi Bart,

thank you very much and a happy new year!

I´ll hope a lot of users may find here a lot of Gaui 500x and 330x support.
I just built up a Gaui 500X with Wookong M. Next step, after first flight, will be the aware 3axis camera mount.
I like this mount (440 gram) and hope it is so good, as the pictures and facts promise.

But i am sure, i have to upgrade my S3 2700 m/ah, to S4 3300 m/ah to lift this weight. I calculated 1.700 gram with a small cam.
For a better one i´ll reach 2000 gram. Or i take two S3 2700 m/ah - don't know now.

If ready, i will show some videos.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I have one of the original pre- S model Gaui 330X that I still fly occasionally. Quite wobbly at times if there's any amount of wind blowing but still fun to buzz around in the backyard. This Gaui has been through a number of incarnations, at one point it hosted a KK flight controller and a set of Hyperion motors and as a result I kept Gaui in business buying replacement arms for it, Don't recall, and really don't want to know, how many replacement sets I went through before I retired it and moved the Kk board elsewhere. Eventually I realized that I still had all the original kit parts and I put it back together stock with the exception of the Gaui ESCs after one let the magic smoke out.

Now I think of it like having an old model T sitting in the garage. Once in a while its nice to take it out to let it see the light of day, and to remember how things used to be and how much better they are today...

Ken

QuadFlyer

I have a gaui 500x set up for fpv and its been a blast, I do have a suggestion when building this quad. I used some 1/2 inch plastic wire conduit on the inside of the booms to protect the wires. I pushed the conduit in until it reached the esc and then cut it flush with the inside of the boom. This keeps the wires off the sharp edges and the 1/2 inch conduit just fits inside the booms and its very light. I could already see some cuts on my wires by the time I got the kit together. If two wires got cut at once they could be shorted together and probably cause a crash. I dont think the motor end has this problem. The main problem is the booms go past the holder on the inside a small amount and the alignment notch causes a sharp point also. If anyone knows of a better fix please let me know but this seems to work pretty good so far.

VABrown

Quad Newbie
I like your solution QuadFlyer. I have to admit I haven't logged enough flight time on my Gaui yet to notice any wire wear.

i got a Gaui 330x last December after watching some amazing videos in youtube, but unfortunately i haven't been able to perform a decent flight, i haven't been able to calibrate the controller and i think that's the problem. Last time i tried to calibrate it it got worst and now is impossible to fly. The good thing is that i'm super determined to do great shots with it.
any help, more than welcome and very much appreciated.

thanks for the thread!

QuadFlyer

I think where I get the most wire damage is when I have disassembled it, I changed out booms one time after if fell from loss of signal and then one time to add the light kit that runs through the booms. Running the wires through them a few times started to do some damage. At first I had smaller wire conduit but then I had trouble getting the light set wires to go through it so I changed to the 1/2 inch and it fit perfect. One boom sliced one of my wires like a razor! I do love this quad and it is so easy to fly with video goggles.

QuadFlyer

Read the manual very carefully and make sure it is setting level and still when you connect the battery or it wont fly. You can search the forums and find information on how to calibrate and program the esc's separately. When set up correctly it will be easy to fly, I use the green wire from the gu-344 on gear channel and have it set to about 45% and I only use cruise mode. My first fpv flights were on the 330x and it flys pretty good. http://youtu.be/aEKJuBDYY80

VABrown

Quad Newbie
I flew my DJI F450 for the first time last weekend. The NAZA controller was sooooo easy to set up using a PC computer on it I ordered a second for my Gaui 500X. From what I have seen and read the Naza controller is far superior to GU-344. I should be giving it a run this weekend weather permitting.

Good luck with your set-up.

Tom

QuadFlyer

I keep hearing that the best controller by far is the open pilot board, is is really stable they say and will do flips also. They are hard to find though. Are you flying fpv? I had a xaircraft that flew great until I put on the video goggles and then it was out of control so I went back to the gu-344 and if flys like a dream!
I flew my DJI F450 for the first time last weekend. The NAZA controller was sooooo easy to set up using a PC computer on it I ordered a second for my Gaui 500X. From what I have seen and read the Naza controller is far superior to GU-344. I should be giving it a run this weekend weather permitting.

Good luck with your set-up.

Tom

VABrown

Quad Newbie
Interesting to learn about the open pilot board. I'm still very green in this hobby. I'll need to do some more research.

Are you flying fpv?

Not yet, but the geeky side of me is interested in trying someday. The logically side of me says I definitely need some more flight time first.

QuadFlyer

This guy has the best videos I have seen flying fpv, he used gu-344 for first videos and then switched to the open piolot board. He said its really stable but yet really responsive, you can tell by the flips he does. Also he is testing what is most likely the best frame available for fpv flying by hoverthings. The front arms are swept back to keep props out of camera view. Wind is 25mph in one of his videos using this new frame. http://youtu.be/ctnlilMiIcY Check out his other videos too, a lot of good ones. Are you flying fpv?
Interesting to learn about the open pilot board. I'm still very green in this hobby. I'll need to do some more research.

Not yet, but the geeky side of me is interested in trying someday. The logically side of me says I definitely need some more flight time first.

QuadFlyer

Sorry I didnt see your answer on fpv flying, I think it is easier for me. No more reversed control when it is nose in, no more getting in the sun and cant see it, but that first flight is a rush! lol. I started in the back yard hovering and landing then went to an open field to go up high and practice comming down. Once I flew up high and landed I had it down. Its kinda strange seeing yourself on the ground lol.

robert

Hi, Been searching these and other forums for the following problem, but haven't managed to find a clear answer.

System i have - Gaui 500x, WKM and DX8. All settings correct in DJI assistant. Everything working well, incl AUX 2 , 3 position switch used for GPS, Atti and Manual. Also using Gear switch in MIX 1 to switch to fail safe.

Problem. After all this I cannot get the motors to turn. I'm guessing the Esc need to be re-calibrated, but to be honest I am not sure how to go about this. Is there a solid link or advice anywhere that explains the procedure (if thats the problem), in relation to the 500x, WKM. Hopefully without having to pull my whole setup to pieces.

Thanks
guys

QuadFlyer

This worked on my esc's http://pwrcfs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111 I dont have experience with gps yet. I went through some tough times with my video because it was on a channel that has interference so I had to buy new equipment, then my radio had range problems so I got a new radio. But when it did all work right it was worth it. Takes a lot of patients, I almost game up once lol.

Vojec

Next step, after first flight, will be the aware 3axis camera mount.
I like this mount (440 gram) and hope it is so good, as the pictures and facts promise.

Just buy... nice, but when I mounted cam and pitch roll up my recording camera go jagged (jump verticaly). Don't know why? maybe weight? All payload with cam is 1.890g. Or must fine tunning servo? Really don't know still basic learner...

QuadFlyer

That is pretty heavy if you mean 1890g, mine weighs 1310g with a 2200 3s pack and all fpv equipment. Max is 2200g and I dont want to get close to that. Maybe you should get quad flying first with no equipment and then add it one piece at a time and check it out well with each one. I always get it flying first before adding fpv equipment or cameras. Hope you get it working.
Just buy... nice, but when I mounted cam and pitch roll up my recording camera go jagged (jump verticaly). Don't know why? maybe weight? All payload with cam is 1.890g. Or must fine tunning servo? Really don't know still basic learner...