Gas engine added to multicopter

Horban

Hello, I'm a noob to the multicopter world and I am going big for my first copter. I'm building a hexacopter with a sx650 frame with turnigy 450kv motors so far.I have not ordered the rest of my parts but when I started adding up the stuff that i may get in ecalc I noticed I will be lucky to have 15 min of flight time! That's not counting my GoPro or FPV stuff that I plan on putting on later. Well I got a idea and wondered if anyone has thought of this (not saying I'm gonna). I searched but could not find. What about adding a gas (nitro) engine and prop to just add lift. Not for any control but just to lighten the whole copter in the electric motors eyes? Like I have said ive searched but could only find where people were trying to make a completely gas powered quad copter not a "gas assisted" multicopter like I'm proposing.has this been thought of or done? I realize you might have to run two props (engines)to counteract rotation and it would add some nasty vibration but just wondering if done or tried.

Horban

Sweet! I guess I should have googled hybrid multicopter.(didn't try that). Thanks. This is exactly what I was thinking(although a lot bigger motor).

Last edited by a moderator:

Horban

Looks like it is going to cause way more problems than it will cure.
Why? Since gas has much more energy per pound than a battery ( a whole lot) it makes sense to add one to do the bulk of lifting. If done right it would have significantly longer flight times. Needing counter-rotating props so you dont use the electrics to compensate would be the only major problem I can see ( although it doesn't seem like a problem for the guy on you tube). And noisy (better muffler), vibration (dampening mounts)?