Futaba S-Bus -- Help Needed

I've just built a TBS Discovery and decided to use the S-Bus instead of the traditional Rx in order to minimize the cables and 'neaten' things up between the frames. I was hoping to get it sorted this weekend and get some footage as it was designed from the ground up as an FPV machine.

The problems:
When connecting to the Assistant, I get a Config Error or Rx Error

I've re-linked the Tx / Rx and get the green light (added a servo and checked to make certain that it IS linked) before connecting the NAZA.

When I try to calibrate the Tx, I have noticed that the channel assignments are wrong, but since it's an S-Bus Rx, I have no way of switching the channels (Futaba standard should be that channels 1 - 4 = A, E, T, R). Any ideas on this?

I'm about ready to go back to the standard R6014HS and be done with it but I don't want to lose the money spent on the S-Bus Rx.

Thanks.
Dale.

Thanks conprot.
The S-Bus is a R6208SB.
As I wrote earlier, I was able to link it to the MZ14 so that should lot be the issue.

Dale.

conprot

did you plug the cable from the RX to Naza X2? and did you setup in the assistant program for s-bus.also did you setup the assistant for your particular copter.
It is always better to put everthing DEFAULT in the assistant and then program all parameters from the beginning and press WRItE every page.
i am using wookong but this issue should be the same as for the Naza.

Yes, Yes and Yes.
S-Bus from X2 to the S-Bus on the Rx.

NAZA setup is all new (default) and 'd-bus' is selected instead of 'traditional'.

Sebas600

Did you plug it in the horizontal s-bus port on the rx?
I've used it once and it's a great system.
I just plugged it and done. Every setting was good from install. even failsafe was set.

kloner

Aerial DP
if the channels are off, is the radio in a different mode by accident? newer futaba have mode 1-4 as an option in the config. do any of those make throttle, throttle, etc?

i got screwed up with one with Sebas rec about make sure it's the horizontal plug, but i didn't have any signal from the radio

This is frustrating i know. did this once with a dsm2 rx that had sbus out and got the same results your at, jr uses ch1 for throttle so that was ail, etc. no way in naza assistant to assign channels to controls in there. all other stuff i've had like this have a ppm setup window and lets you make any ch control anything

conprot.
I've tried 4 of the cables - all with the same result.

I finally tried a cable direct from the NAZA to the S-Bus port (not using the Discovery top plate extension pins) and it seems to be OK.

Channels are still wonky but I can move those around (reassign) in the Function menu if I have to.

Dale.

Thanks jmc67.
Did you have to change the channel assignments in the Function menu?

With my R6014HS Rx I had a strait setup with cables for each channel setup per the diagram in the NAZA manual. With S-Bus, it's one cable, so I'm a bit confused as to why the channel assignments are different.

The IOC demonstration and video was great information. The point about the 10 meter circle is important to note that as the MR come sback to you it will change directions when it crosses that "line".

It's been raining for two days here and raining again today. Not so good for flying but great for getting this thing sorted.

Dale.

Seabs600.
Thanks - this is a great poiint that is overlooked many times - and yes, in my case, it is in Airplane mode

Last edited by a moderator:

Kloner,
Thanks for the input. You are correct. I can make the channel assignments in the Function menu and it should be "all good", but the freaky thing is "why" the channels assignments (out of the box) for the S-Bus are different than the other (non-S-Bus) Rx.

I do have the S-Bus in the horizontal slot on the Rx.

The confusing part is that the R6014HS worked 'right out of the box' with the channels hooked up per the NAZA manual - A,E,T,R,U,X1, X2, X3, but the S-Bus (R6208SB) is different. It's not even assigned like a JR Rx.

On page 15, the manual clearly shows the S-Bus channel assignments. Channels 1=A, 2=E, 3=T, 4=R. The difference (R6014HS vs R6208SB) only happens with U, X1 and X2.

I can make it work by changing the channel assignments in the Function menu. It's just frustrating to not know "why"......

Thanks - as always.
Dale.

kloner

Aerial DP
weird,,,,, just roll with reassigning. I got that cheap 8j, plugged it in sbus, flew it once and sold it, still flying, nothing reassigned, all the channels were right, not even faast but the $30 rx with s-fhss

Hey Kloner,
Did you sell the S-Bus?

Interested to know why. This is my first S-Bus also. I was hoping for 'same range - fewer wires'.... but it's starting to annoy me since I am having to go through so much "stuff" to get it flying.

kloner

Aerial DP
I sold my kloners f450 to a guy that wanted it ready to fly. he bought the gear, i bolted it on and test flew it...... absolute same range, only advantage is a cleaner looking bird.

You mentioned it didn't work going through the top plate but does without using it, are you absolutely positive that the wires were hooked up right? signal to signal, ch1 to ch1, etc.? might try a multimeter with continuity tester. the + and the - side are hot on all channels. once power goes on the + side, all + ports are hot. when a - goes on the - side, all the plugs are grounded on the ground ch. only part of the pcb that's not shorted to make all pins that way is the signal port. sure you know, just rambling, don't know why it didn't work right

The confusing part is that the R6014HS worked 'right out of the box' with the channels hooked up per the NAZA manual - A,E,T,R,U,X1, X2, X3, but the S-Bus (R6208SB) is different. It's not even assigned like a JR Rx.

On page 15, the manual clearly shows the S-Bus channel assignments. Channels 1=A, 2=E, 3=T, 4=R. The difference (R6014HS vs R6208SB) only happens with U, X1 and X2.

I can make it work by changing the channel assignments in the Function menu. It's just frustrating to not know "why"......

Hi Dale,

Both of my WK hook to the RX R6208SB with the S-BUS version, and Micro S-BUS R6203SB hook to the NAZA they all placed in as you stated above. also attaching a picture with the TX 18MZ works like a charm…!

View attachment 6068
shiu

Attachments

• IMG_8520.jpg
    IMG_8520.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 237

Yeah, the signal pins and connections are correctly made. Since I only have one connector, I used the outside set of pins to make the connection - and tried the other side (just in case!) of the pin bank. No luck. I also looked to make sure I have good solder joints on all pins.

I'll just use an extension and route it around. Not as "clean" but I'll just be happy that it works.

Channels are reassigned. I'll have to wait until tomorrow so it will stop raining -- and for the LHS to open up so I can get an extension cable.

In the mean time I'll check the camer feed to the Fat Sharks to make sure that everything else is working.