Frequency interaction between video TX and Garmin dog tracker - What to do?

Mactadpole

Discovered an interesting but disconcerting interference issue recently after adding a 1.2 GHz video transmitter to my hexacopter mapping rig. You can see my build here.
I have a Garmin Astro 220 dog tracker (transmits in the 151-154 MHz range) on the copter that I have in case of a fly away. I have used this for some time and never noticed an issue. So recently I added a 1000mW 1.2 GHz vtx to this copter. I don't always remember to turn on the dog tracker, bad habit. During testing of the vtx I never turned on the tracker.

I go out the other day to do the first flights with the new vtx and I forget to turn on the dog tracker for the first flight, all goes well. I change locations and remember to turn on the dog tracker for the second flight. I take off and immediately have periodic twitches and mission planner starts screaming 'compass variance error' (I fly Pixhawk). I land, unplug everything, fire it back up, takeoff and observe the same issue. I look around and see that I am near a fair number of power lines, including a main transmission line about 500 meters away (I am doing university and govt. agency environmental monitoring work so that is the only reason I am restricted to some flight areas, otherwise I would not fly near power lines). I think that is the issue so I change locations. Same behavior at the new location. I'm near empty on this set of batteries so decide to change batteries thinking maybe something weird with one of the cheap multistar batteries I fly is causing compass issues. I put the new set of batteries on and takeoff, I still see a slight twitch but less frequent and no compass variance error. I complete what I need to do and go home. I take a look at the logs and see compass issues on the external compass but not the internal, and they are associated with current drops to near 0 amps. In the logs the current drops are happening at a regular rate, the compass variance doesn't happen as frequently, and there are drops on the baro as well. I should mention that I have two separate battery leads to the PDB with only one being monitored by the attopilot power module I made, while the other is monitored by a Frsky current module. I tore the copter apart checking all connections and wires and found nothing. I tested my batteries and found nothing wrong. I recalibrated everything and turned off the internal compass even though it show no signs of error in the logs. I did a test flight with everything on and still had the twitch behavior and it was actually pretty severe on that flight. Don't know why I didn't think about turning off the thing I had added first, but when I turned off the vtx there were no flight issues. I then made the connection that it had flown fine with the vtx on and the dog tracker off. Flew it that way and sure enough it was fine. So, there is some sort of interaction occurring between the vtx and the dog tracker. It appears to be worse as the batteries deplete. I tried moving the dog tracker and its antenna all over the copter and it got a little better in certain positions but could not get rid of issues all together. I am a bit perplexed as to how this interaction is generated at these very different frequencies and I don't know enough about harmonics, etc. to figure it out. I would love to hear about any theories.

Now I have to decide whether to change vtx frequencies or change the type of tracker I use. There are positive and negatives of both and I would like some advice from others. My first thought is to change the tracker to the Marco Polo system or the RCbeacon system. Marco Polo works in the same frequency range as my RFD900 radio modem for telemetry but the Marco Polo is not transmitting unless pinged by the locator unit. But if the copter goes down and the RFD900 is still powered it might desensitize the MP tag's receiver meaning I might need to wait for the copter batteries to die to get the tracker to work. The RCbeacon system is more rudimentary but works on the 433 MHz frequency. The bonus of changing the tracker system is the weight reduction, but I must say that the Garmin dog tracker system works really well in forested areas. The downside is that I think I will experience some range loss, I just don't know how much. The bonus of changing vtx systems is the smaller antenna size for the 5.8GHz systems but I worry about loss of signal penetration and distance. I should mention that I run the Frsky 2.4GHz system alongside these other device frequencies. Would like some ideas on this decision too.

Thanks, Shawn

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
shawn (aka future guest on "Drone" Radio Live)

Do you have enough room somewhere on the heli to move the dog tracker away from the flight control's innards where the interference might be getting picked up?

Or maybe just fire up the helicopter and move the dog tracker towards and away from the heli to see what the range of the interference is by watching the GUI for compass variations.

Mactadpole

shawn (aka future guest on "Drone" Radio Live)

Do you have enough room somewhere on the heli to move the dog tracker away from the flight control's innards where the interference might be getting picked up?

Or maybe just fire up the helicopter and move the dog tracker towards and away from the heli to see what the range of the interference is by watching the GUI for compass variations.

Hey Bart and Old Man,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have already spent a bunch of time moving things all over the place. I can reduce the effect considerably but can't get rid of it. The weird thing is that it isn't actually impacting the internal compass, only the external. I have even tried disabling the internal compass to get rid of the "compass variance error" but the twitch behaviour still occurs. I have now tried three different external gps/compass units and it's the same. It's very strange because the FC is actually only about 10cm above the PDB, sandwiched between the two 6s 8000mah batteries, and has a CF plate about 8-10 cm above that the primary external GPS/Compass sits on. It's a CSGshop M8N XL. The VTX and dog tracker are both below this central area and out on arms. It also must have something to do with current flow (I think?) because it passes all pre-flight checks just fine and I always monitor the live EKF bar graphs. I can spin up the props on the ground and there is no issues, but once I take off and settle into a hover is when it rears its ugly head. And it "seems" to be worse the lower the batteries are during. I see this because as I run these little tests between changing variables I am using the same batteries and it just seems to have a greater impact as they are depleted. It's just trippy to me that I can turn off one or the other of these devices and all is good.

Old Man - I was not aware of potential GPS issues with a 1.2GHz VTX. I must say that the CSGshop M8N XL is pretty incredible with 16-20 satellites pretty much all the time and PDOP often below 0.5-0.7. I am wondering if changing to 1.3GHz would solve the problem? But then I still have to get new VTX, antennas, receivers for diversity setup, etc. I'm wondering if I should just move to the 5.8GHz so I can have one of these new fancy 7" monitors with diversity rx's and DVR built in. Sure would be nice over my briefcase GCS for the 1.2GHz setup.

I am also interested in opinions on the RCbeacon system if anyone out there uses it.

Thanks again, Shawn

Mactadpole

As an update, I am now considering the tBeacon tracker that incorporates GPS and UHF transmission at an incredible price and size.

tBeaconGreen53sm2.png

Mactadpole

I am going to take those responses as positive feedback. After more investigation and finding a thread on the device it seems the developer may be "offline" currently due to a family matter. I have inquired about it and will report back.

I can start a thread about it if you like Bart?

EDIT: Just heard back from developer and he is slowly getting back to business. I just ordered two of these to try out. I'll do my best to do a little review. He has provide DIY solutions on his site as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

crayfellow

Cool, Shawn - I had been planning on using those for ours as well and then it fell off the radar as they say... I will grab a couple too and report back!

fltundra

As an update, I am now considering the tBeacon tracker that incorporates GPS and UHF transmission at an incredible price and size.

tBeaconGreen53sm2.png
You just need to get the TBS Crossfire. There's nothing out to compare it too. It's the first time I don't have to think about RC control link anymore, and with the receiver beacon you can always find your lost model with the GPS cords or radio direction finding. Plus all the two way telemetry you could ever want with the Pixhawk. Also, no more ppm. I'm full digital, 6-8 ms , 12 channels S-bus. Flying it for over 2 months and am very happy. I might add with dynamic TX power. 90% of my flying, it's at only 10mw output.;)

Mactadpole

You just need to get the TBS Crossfire. There's nothing out to compare it too. It's the first time I don't have to think about RC control link anymore, and with the receiver beacon you can always find your lost model with the GPS cords or radio direction finding. Plus all the two way telemetry you could ever want with the Pixhawk. Also, no more ppm. I'm full digital, 6-8 ms , 12 channels S-bus. Flying it for over 2 months and am very happy. I might add with dynamic TX power. 90% of my flying, it's at only 10mw output.;)

That looks like a great piece of kit as well. Two negatives for me though: 1) it operates in the 900MHz range which is the same as my RFD900 telemetry modem. 2) I am currently using more than 12 channels, but could probably do without a couple (maybe; e.g. I like having switch control of retracts vs. just relying on them to go up down with auto mission commands).

fltundra

That looks like a great piece of kit as well. Two negatives for me though: 1) it operates in the 900MHz range which is the same as my RFD900 telemetry modem. 2) I am currently using more than 12 channels, but could probably do without a couple (maybe; e.g. I like having switch control of retracts vs. just relying on them to go up down with auto mission commands).
Soon as they release firmware, you will be able to send all your telemetry with the Crossfire, and move to 2.4g instead of 5.8g for video.:)
16 channels are just around the corner also.

Mactadpole

Soon as they release firmware, you will be able to send all your telemetry with the Crossfire, and move to 2.4g instead of 5.8g for video.:) 16 channels are just around the corner also.

OK, now that is pretty darn impressive! I'd actually stick with my 1.2g video. It's been really good to me. I've actually never experienced GPS issues with it.

Crap! maybe I pulled the trigger too soon on these.

EDIT: how will you get the Mission Planner telemetry from the RX to the computer?

fltundra

fltundra

OK, now that is pretty darn impressive! I'd actually stick with my 1.2g video. It's been really good to me. I've actually never experienced GPS issues with it.

Crap! maybe I pulled the trigger too soon on these.

EDIT: how will you get the Mission Planner telemetry from the RX to the computer?
It has Bluetooth built in, connects as we speak currently with Droidplanner.:)

crayfellow

How is the 'real world' range for you? I had read early on about it supporting APM telemetry but I didn't know it already did. But you can't pipe the telemetry stream to APM/Mission Planner, right?

EDIT: I will check the thread

Mactadpole

It has Bluetooth built in, connects as we speak currently with Droidplanner.:)

Thanks for the link. I'm sure they will get it working with Mission Planner too. I'm not a fan of Droidplanner.

I'm actually going to go with both systems after some thought. The tBeacon is soooo light and cheap, plus having both provides a level of tracking redundancy and extended time for searching. I think the Crossfire said it will transmit for 1 day vs. 7 days for the tBeacon. A lot of my work is in tropical rainforest and now moving into mountainous cloud forest. I have been lucky to not lose a model there (yet!) but it will happen. Maybe this seems like overkill but I have lost a model completely in the woods about 3 or 4 years ago and with the recent Pixhawk IMU failure sending my main copter into a tree at about 30m I need to be able to recover. $6k lost in the woods just isn't cool, I know many more of you have a lot more $ than that in the air. I fly a lot of waypoint missions where the copter is out of sight and even occasionally lose rx signal but not MP telemetry.

Nice to see some really nice options to integrate everything coming out for sure.

fltundra

How is the 'real world' range for you?
I was getting strange anomalies with 2.4 and the Taranis. Then I had EZuhf over the summer and still not good. (high noise floor on 400mhz and 2.4)
First time in all my years of RC that i don't even think about TX range. Flight time, then video, will be long gone before "I" ever out fly it. You'll see in the thread what range guys are getting, and they are not exaggerating. :D

fltundra

Just a side note. After getting a RF Explorer it was apparent that 900 mhz was the way to go for me, as 2.4 is around 88 db noise floor,
433 90 db, and 105-110 db at 915mhz.

Here's the crossfire frequency hopping: