fpv troubles

baker55

I have a yellowjacket 5.8 receiver and mondo stinger transmitter. when I turn everything on the receiver cycles back and forth between antenna 1 and 2. Lines appear in goggles. any ideas? thanks Shaun

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Shaun,
What are you using for a cable between the receiver and goggles/monitor?
I guess you're using the antennae that came with the equipment? Do they all have the yellow ring on them?
Also, double check the positions of the dip switches for the transmitter channel. There are actually a few combinations that don't correspond to a specific channel. If they're set like that then there's nothing for the receiver to receive.
I just went through all of this and it's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyy frustrating when it doesn't work. We'll get you going.
Bart

Bartman

shaun,
there are four dip switches on the opposite side of the transmitter from the heat sink. how they are set determines what frequency it's transmitting on. if you have a picture that fades out, try changing the channel of the receiver, you may be a channel above or below the channel the transmitter is set to.
also, orient the antenna of the tx and rx so they're parallel to each other. if you're using rubber antennae on both tx and rx they have to be oriented fairly parallel to each other or you'll lose signal and cause the receiver to switch back and forth in an attempt to get a better signal. when flying i usually have the two antennae on the receiver at 90 degrees to each other so one can be close to parallel at all times. it just has to do with how the whip antenna's radiation pattern is. there's a video somewhere that was posted with a great explanation of how the different kinds of antennae have to be oriented in order to work.
hope that helps,
bart

baker55

Thanks Bart. I have everything as you say. My reception is great but the signal switches back and forth like a geiger counter, the image has only a slight line across it when this happens. Other than the constant noise and there has to be something wrong although the reception is fine. Shaun

Bartman

shaun,
have you tried this outside and does it do the same thing there? I was in my basement getting my wireless video set-up and it was explained to me that there can be lots of excess signals bouncing around inside which can interfere with the one good signal you're trying to receive.
bart

Bartman

b55
also, try putting an antenna from the rx onto the tx and the tx antenna on the rx. if your tx antenna is bad, the signal will improve and the rx won't swap back and forth between antennae when you have them swapped out.