FPV Training for Noobs

Brainscum

So I for one am new to this hobby. I've built a Zmr 250 and am attempting to teach myself to fly FPV. Line of sight is simple enough to get basics but once the goggles are on for the first few times things get a bit chaotic. I'm trying to come up with some training exercises to learn better control. How did you learn? Any tips or tricks you wanna share?

Petr Hejl

Staff Member
So I for one am new to this hobby. I've built a Zmr 250 and am attempting to teach myself to fly FPV. Line of sight is simple enough to get basics but once the goggles are on for the first few times things get a bit chaotic. I'm trying to come up with some training exercises to learn better control. How did you learn? Any tips or tricks you wanna share?

Great question. I see you mentioned you're new to this, have you had enough time to practice non-FPV flight with your ZMR? It is a pretty lively machine and it always helps to understand what amount of stick input is needed for a "non-chaotic" flight. When I was learning FPV flight, I actually did that with my DJI 450 and Naza-1 GPS - it is more docile machine and the GPS feature allows me to let go of the sticks and "park" the copter in the air when things get a little chaotic.
I'd recommend finding an open area that you're familiar with (field, park). Try finding a maintained field where the grass is not too tall and the copter is easier to find.
I am not sure what flight controller you use, but if it has self leveling feature or a mode that prevents the copter from flipping, use it for now.
Set up exponential travel in your controller to keep the stick input less sensitive.
Start with easy roll and pitch maneuvers, then introduce yaw. Erick also covers some great FPV flying tips in the Blade Mach 25 review segment of our latest Drone Vibes Podcast.

Talon Six

I spent a lot of time on a cheap simulator program called FPV Freeride when I switched from Angle mode to Acro. It's a $5 program and the physics are pretty realistic. It's helped me to get comfortable with doing things like quick 180s, rolls, and altitude control using throttle instead of pitch.

nathan

Administrator
Staff member
Simulators, if have-way decent, have become a great way to learn without the expense of crashing. As computers have gotten better, so too has the software-- or maybe it's the other way around :)

RealFlight helped teach me helicopter flying back in the day and just came out with a sim... curious if it's any good?

Cookie

I have FPV Freerider, but I don't have a controller. All quads I have are toy category. What controller/transmitter should I get?

Brainscum

I have the Taranis plus and it's awesome! Way more features than one would ever need. Only downside is not a lot of help for Taranis users using Mac. FPV Freerider looks great but I can't seem to get my Taranis to connect to my Mac and function :(

Update: I finally got my Taranis to play nicely with my Mac and just downloaded FPV Freerider. Fantastic Sim! This is just what I need to get through theses rainy days.

I found another cool sim from the Drone Racing League. It's also lots of fun and totally worth checking out. They have two courses based off their races and both are a blast. Best of all it's Free!

http://thedroneracingleague.com/fpv-simulator/

Last edited:

Cookie

"Update: I finally got my Taranis to play nicely with my Mac and just downloaded FPV Freerider. Fantastic Sim! This is just what I need to get through these rainy days."
Brainscum - can you please post the steps how you did this? I have a new MBP and am thinking about a new Taranis which would be my first non-toy transmitter.