Foxtech Pivot V2 retracts... anyone?

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I'm using Foxtech's V1 Pivot retracts on a large heavy lifter, and I'm not impressed. Currently on the second set after the first ones were damaged, but prior to that they were already giving me trouble, often sticking in up or down positions or just stopping working completely (even with a spring assist).

Anyone using the V2s? I have a feeling they'll be more of the same, but just in case they happen to be good...

Here's a link:

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-pivot-v2-auto-landing-gear2pcs-p-1703.html

If not those, are there any decent reasonable-priced landing gear that will fit (or can be easily retrofitted) to a heavy-lift Cinestar X8 (25mm booms)? Or am I looking at $600-800+ for anything remotely decent?

Pumpkinguy

I hear the tarot ones are extremely reliable and come in at a very reasonable price. I have 4 on order. I will let you know my opinion.

Pumpkinguy

I just got them. They appear to be very well made. Friction points are bronze on steel. The body is cnc'd aluminum. Very light and come with a 25mm leg cup. The downfall, You need their controller to make them work and it only has 2 outputs which is fine for most applications but I like 3 straight legs vs 2 "T" legs. It is more stable imo.
I need to put them thru a hundred cycles or so before I finalize my opinion.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
I'd really appreciate some pics if you get around to taking some! I would need to mount them to 25mm booms.

Where did you order them?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I have 3 sets of the Tarot retracts on rigs from 9lbs to 28 lbs... they ROCK. And for the price having a few extra as back up is feasible.
This is a "smaller" rig I was testing the Soloshot2 robot camera man with, but it usually has a Zenmuse strapped to it... :D (and usually a WKM.. HAHA)

View attachment 24081

Attachments

• small vulcan.jpg
    small vulcan.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 450
Last edited by a moderator:

Pumpkinguy

I ordered direct from Tarot. They took 3-4 days to ship but it was picked up in China on Saturday morning and I had in Toronto on Monday. DHL is crazy fast from China.
I don't know how you would mount to round arms. You need to look on their website for mounting options.
Here is a pic.
I'm just wondering if the control can handle enough current to drive 3 retracts or maybe I'll have to use 2 controllers. I guess the only way to find out is to test.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 390

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I would use 2 controllers, the controller has a safety built in, not sure you could tap a 2nd retract onto that channel and have it still work.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Thanks guys, awesome info. SleepyC, how's the reliability on these? Any issues at all? As I said in the OP, the Foxtech gear seems pretty awful. Without a spring assist they'll barely even pick up the gear legs, and during test flying yesterday I had one just give up and refuse to raise. Do they stay sturdy and tight day after day?

I have to admit I'm leery about this style of mechanism after such a bad experience, but if these are as good as you guys say I might be inclined to give it another go.

Also is the only difference in these the hardware that come with them?

http://www.helipal.com/tarot-tl8x001-auto-landing-gear-for-tarot-x4-x6-x8.html

http://www.helipal.com/tarot-tl96030-auto-landing-gear-for-tarot-t810-t960.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Pumpkinguy

I just ordered mounting kits from Hexacrafter (for my Hexacrafter frame) for these retracts. Andrew from Hexacrafter is over the top when it comes to quality so the fact that he makes a mounting kit says a lot about the reliability of these.
The kits you linked have the same actuator. Just differebt accessories. You can also buy the actuator alone to keep as a spare.

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Great. It kind of looks like they'll be a drop-in fit but I won't know until I have them in hand. I'm definitely leaning this way...

Pumpkinguy

This is basically how mine will be mounted. Imo a tripod is just so much more stable than two "T's".
So instead of the kit I just ordered the actuators and 25mm legs. Rather than using the rivits to permanently attach the legs I will use pins so I can remove before putting in case. Sorry about lightingView attachment 24119

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 423

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Pumpkinguy, I agree on the tripod, but I'm flying two X8's. I could make it work though, it would just bug my OCD :D

SleepyC, thanks a lot. I just ordered the gear from Helipal, I'm looking forward to trying them out!

maxwelltub

Has anyone tried these on a gryphon dynamics frame? And for those using these on X8 are you use more then 2 legs?