For Broadcast video issues with Inspire 1 footage

JLO

Hi to all im working on a project that uses a well establish and experience post house in Germany they are having serious issues apparently for broadcast from the Inspire 1 footage bellow is the explanation from the senior editor please take a look.
also at the bottom, 2 links from another forum conversation with other Inspire 1 users with a similar problem
I really really want this problem resolved I love the inspire 1 a lot any new light or solution from some smart members would be greatly appreciated

Post House reply to me:
The issues is the camera recording system not the HD progressive codec or the frame rate-transformation.
The camera records in (true p) not in (psf). AVID Software can not rebuild a clean prog (psf) HD-TV-Format PAL standard picture.
All clips get a flicker because the pictures are to sharp (desharp dosent work) and have to many/undefined lines.

I recorded a small video so you can see what I mean (please download it for a better detail view):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aykmnrdn9kpf6e1/AAB8skwMk_QWlzqqmuU4ItWBa?dl=0

Note the problem occurs not at a normal pc screen. Only the output system from AVID (which is psf (p)) show us the result at the reference Monitor.

Thats the result for the TV-station.

I checked the DJI-transcode program sended in the last E-Mail . It is not useable for the footage because:
1. If we transcode the footage 2times (first in ProRes than in DNxHD) we loss quality.
2. The color space change completely because the program works logarithmic in the Gamma setting: DJI Inspire1 and even in Linear.
3. After the reimport in AVID the flicker is still there.

Links to other forum conversation:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/flicker-aliasing-jittering-issues-with-inspire-footage.639/

http://www.inspirepilots.com/thread...tering-issues-with-inspire-footage.639/page-2

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Based on those posts, it sounds like this is an AVID issue. Have you tried looking at the footage imported to another editor? FCP or Premiere?

What setting did you film in on the Inspire camera? There may be some tricks fkr converting the file to a PSF that the client wants on their end - a workaround really. I recall reading something about this awhile ago on an editor forum.

JLO

Hi Motopreserve thanks for taking the time to read the latest settings test I sent the Avid editor in Germany was:
1080 Pal 25fps, 50 shutter speed, 50hz
1080 Pal 50fps 100 shutter speed 60hz
4K Pal 25fps 50 shutter speed

got the shutter speed under control with different ND filters
may you remember the the link to the editors forum where they talk about a posible solution
thanks

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
After posting that last night I searched my bookmarks and the forum and could not find the original thread.

BUT, I did find the resource that the discussion had linked to - which may (or not) be more beneficial than the original thread anyway - which IIRC, devolved into bickering and became annoying anyway :)

The article/link is for addressing the need for interlaced video when the original file is progressive. I thought that the Inspire filmed progressive and that PSF is interlaced? I could be off-base on this, and if so I apologize for any distraction I may cause. But I have had some very frustrating moments trying to make sense of different rates, codecs, interlaced vs progressive etc. so I can sympathize....

https://library.creativecow.net/articles/solorio_marco/interlacing_progressive_footage.php

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Has the end-user not tried to convert the files already? I assumed they would have.

There seems to be a free trial - give it a shot.

Also, have you tried to do any quick edits in any program other than Avid to see if the issue follows the NLE? Just as a test?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Definitely seems to be avid issue, and you're obviously not alone - not that this fact helps you keep clients happy. :(

Try the free download and see if a file output in the avid preferred format can help.