Flying with Lipos

Kilby

Hey gang,

So I have a trip coming up and I would love to take my MRC along. I've heard that there are issues though in regards to flying with your lipos. Can anyone shed some light on what those problems are and how I might get around them? I'm sure that there has to be a work around somehow... these things didn't travel by boat to get to me when I ordered them, so I know there has to be a safe way to ship them.

Thanks!

-Terry

BTW.. anyone on here in the Denver, CO area? I'll be out that way Sept. 10 and always love to catch up with other MRC fans.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Killby,

only info on this that i have is that i heard similar of a friend heli guy. He mentioned that he sends them via ups or whatever to his final destination and than sends them home again.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
austrian airlines on this, probably similar to all european

The following dangerous goods may be carried under special transport conditions:
Aerosols
Alcoholic beverages
Ammunition
Avalanche rescue backpack
Battery powered wheelchairs/mobility devices
Camping stoves and fuel containers
Cardiac pacemaker
Cigarette lighters
Consumer electronic devices with fuel cell systems or lithium/lithium ion cells or batteries

whatever that means !

Kilby

I was actually trying to find out what I need to do in order to prep my batteries to be safe in flight. I have seen fire proof bags that are supposed to be used, but I wasn't sure if it was mandatory. I thought of shipping them ahead of time, but then they are still going on a plane and I would want to make it as safe as possible.

So, do I need to set them to any certain capacity or anything?

-Terry

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I guess the best would be to get in contact with the airline anyways and go sure you can take them. Imagine your there and its not possible, or someone interprets the rules however he feels like, and you cant back up with argumentation.

Guess the best voltage would probably be 3.8 V per zell, like when you want to store them for a longer time. and those bags are very cheap http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4134__Lithium_Polymer_Charge_Pack_18x22cm_Sack.html