Flying with ATTI/GPS but using Manual for softer landings?

redcloud

Hey all,

I appreciate all the knowledge people are willing to share in this forum. I've been searching the previous messages but have a few (very) basic questions I can't seem to find.
My specs:
I built a DJI 550
Naza V2
FrSky Taranis X9D Plus
X8R Receiver

In a nutshell, my landings have been too hard and maneuvering in all directions is too sensitive, especially for photo work. I have calibrated all my settings numerous times in the Naza assistant. I have all my Failsafe functions programmed. I continue to be intimated by the complexity of the Taranis X9D Plus, but if I follow others instructions here and on YouTube I get things to work.

I considered making a custom throttle curve to help with the hard landings and other custom curves to the general handling for the hex BUT started testing (without props) and it seems that 50% throttle thing when in ATTI and GPS mode is why I have such little control over my descents and maybe I should click over to manual when landing. Are any of you doing that? I don't want to start building custom curves if I don't have to.

This project has been on the shelf for awhile and I'm just getting back to it. Now I see there is a firmware upgrade for the Naza 2. It looks like it's only available for PC users, am I right? (I'm a Mac user)

I decided on a 550 because I primarily want to do photography. As a result my craft is a bit heavier with 2 cameras, a gimbal, and some homemade landing gear to protect the cameras (a hard landing damaged my gimbal and I had to send it back to China to have it repaired!). Could that extra weight be one reason it's overly sensitive in maneuvering? Although I'm running the previous firmware, it seems to have default parameters for basic gain and altitude gain. Should I be adjusting those for a heavier craft?

One more thing, I'm using 3S-2200ma batteries. are those too underpowered? Should I be using 4S-5000 batteries?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

Don

DroneTalk

R/C Expert
Staff member
Yes if your overloading your motors your model will fly heavy and moke for sluggish control response.

PBRAz

Hi,

I have the exact config as you do and agree with the later user. You are overloading it. I use a 4s and only one camera and it works fine. What motor kit have you got?

Regards

P.

redcloud

I've got six (of course) Propdrive 28 30s 800KV motors, Afro ESC 30A controllers and inespensive 10 inch props. Do you know how much your hex weighs? I can weigh mine tonight. Thanks for your reply.