Flying on Mountaintops at 12,000 feet - F550 Heavy Lift - Motors, props, NAZA vs WKM

skyranger

I live at 6,000 ft above sea level and looking for a system to do flying up on mountaintops at about 12,000 ft above sea level with the H3-2D zen gimbal for hero3. Have my Futaba F8G transmitter and looking at acquiring the f550 platform and thinking because of elevation, I need bigger props than stock DJI 8-10” and therefore some lower kv motors than the stock 2212. I see a lot of talk in the threads about the heavy lift conversion for the F550…and see the pkg offered at aerial media pros with 11” graupner props and lower kv motors. But intrigued by some posts that refer to motors like the 2814 700kv and 12” props. Wondering about issues mating non stock motors to the extensions on the F550…bolt holes, etc. I am thinking I do need to grab a lot of air with big props up there on mountaintops compared to sea level. Also need very good video image stability and wondering about NAZA vs WKM…I presently planning NAZA M V2 with GPS but see several threads that mention better stability with the WKM for aerial video…but I have no experience with them. I would of course also like reasonable flight time. sidenote, I am planning DJI 5.8 Ghz FPV to a monitor I already have. appreciate any experience and recommendations of others on this flight hardware pkg and my high elevation flight profile. My budget is kinda limited...can't do a $10,000 system...looking for up to $3,000. Thanks for you comments, experience and advice!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Just stick with the Naza for your F550. You'll probably be fine with the stock setup at that altitude. Go for 4S lipos for better efficiency and longer flight times. The 10" props should be more than enough. You may get shorter flight times than others experience, but like one minute less. Believe me, 10 minutes in the air is plenty to start with, you need a break by then.

Cool?

skyranger

Just stick with the Naza for your F550. You'll probably be fine with the stock setup at that altitude. Go for 4S lipos for better efficiency and longer flight times. The 10" props should be more than enough. You may get shorter flight times than others experience, but like one minute less. Believe me, 10 minutes in the air is plenty to start with, you need a break by then.

Cool?

Thanks for the info. I agree 10 minutes would be fine for my flight profiles. i do have one experienced buddy flying a different mfr system… the x650v…up in this extreme altitude region at the top of high mountains and although I realize it is not apples to apples..he is using 13” props and has hesitated to try smaller. like you he also likes naza m v2 fine, but his advice…he is also flying a hero3 gimbal…was bigger props…and lower kv motors than stock. so that’s why I wanted to see here in the community what other folks flying in the mountains are experiencing with their own flights at roughly 11,000 to 13,000 feet above sea level. admittedly my buddy’s ship is far different from the F550. with $$ tight, i will only have one run at a build…and unable to afford to significantly modify it if it comes up short on performance goals. thanks again for the perspective…I really appreciate the shared info!

Lanzar

Cool?

I think you are mistaken that a stock f550 will fly that hi and still get 10 minutes. Since the stock motors and props are not enough for that altitude. IT will fly but on almost 90% trust.
I suggest bigger motors and bigger props, posibly slow fly propelers that give more trust since heating would not be problem. If there is small wind with stock f550 there will be problems getting back and maitaining altitude. Also depends on batery size.

Hi my two bobs worth, I do not fly at high altitude. it takes the same amount of energy to lift 2kg at sea level as it does at 10k ft only difference is the air is thinner therefore to get the same thrust you need bigger props to move the same air mass to give you the same lift capacity.
If the 2212 920kv motors are capable of lifting the 2kg F550 at sea level they will also lift it at 10k ft with the correctly sized props.

That's not to say that you should not get more powerfull motors especially if your F550 is going to weigh closer to the 3kg AUW mark.

Problem is the standard DJI arms are too short and only allow for 10" props.

Forget the arm extensions as the DJI plastic arms are already too soft without extending them.

Get the DJI top and bottom plate, they are good and cheap but fit rigid carbon fibre (these kits are available for the F550) or aluminium arms that are long enough for say 11" or 12" props (11" if you are sticking with 900kv motors).

Go to http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en and do some comparisons for your own piece of mind.

Regards - bruce

skyranger

Hi my two bobs worth, I do not fly at high altitude. it takes the same amount of energy to lift 2kg at sea level as it does at 10k ft only difference is the air is thinner therefore to get the same thrust you need bigger props to move the same air mass to give you the same lift capacity.
If the 2212 920kv motors are capable of lifting the 2kg F550 at sea level they will also lift it at 10k ft with the correctly sized props.

That's not to say that you should not get more powerfull motors especially if your F550 is going to weigh closer to the 3kg AUW mark.

Problem is the standard DJI arms are too short and only allow for 10" props.

Forget the arm extensions as the DJI plastic arms are already too soft without extending them.

Get the DJI top and bottom plate, they are good and cheap but fit rigid carbon fibre (these kits are available for the F550) or aluminium arms that are long enough for say 11" or 12" props (11" if you are sticking with 900kv motors).

Go to http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en and do some comparisons for your own piece of mind.

Regards - bruce

thanks bruce...off to do more homework at that link. was curious about possible flex in the F550 arms...appreciate your insight. thanks man...