Flew my drone through a firework display

rotorvista

it's not been hacked and it's NOT something I would do. seems like the newest dumb *** craze with the phantom pilots atm....

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Ah, in that case I know what you mean! Everyday someone sends me a crazy video of someone who has just bought a Phantom and decides to risk everything by sending it somewhere stupid. A couple of weeks ago I saw one where the chap took off and held it at full throttle for almost ten minutes or something. He had no video feedback and only a stopwatch to time it. Yes, it went into the clouds and sat there waiting for a plane to fly into it until the battery ran out and down it came, fast! Of course the video was removed after a million death threats...

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Maybe a link to one of these videos would make more sense....

Here's one:

Is this the same one?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Brian,

you seem to be shooting from above the fireworks which means you were probably at about 500ft or more during your flight, no?

how could you even see what the camera was aimed at if it was nighttime and you were that high?

Av8Chuck

You know there are generally several full sized acft flying over 4th of July fireworks displays all the time which if something went wrong has the potential for much more serious consequences than these. Most fireworks are launched over remote areas so chances are as ridiculous as this sounds if one of those Phantoms would have been hit it probably wouldn't have resulted in anyone getting injured.

I'm not making any excuses for this, certainly bad PR for MR's but the problem is when the MR community condemn's actions like this it almost always results in the media running with it and exacerbating the story ten fold. I know reporters who's job it is to cover things like this that troll RC threads and they never mention the condemnation by this community, they just use it as a source of information to sensationalize their own agenda.

To be totally honest, I think the first video has some awesome shots in it and look at how many times these videos have been viewed in such a short amount of time! We launched a petition to help regulate commercial AP a little before these videos were shot and we're barely at 110 signatures, these videos are at almost 3M views. So it should be no surprise that next year there will be hundreds, if not thousands of MR's flying through fireworks displays, just like there were hundreds of full sized acft flying above them this year.

My point, in part, is that I'm not aware of any accidents as result of flying MR's through fireworks so if these videos had not been uploaded and viewed millions of times then no one, including the media would be the wiser for it. But because these video's have gone viral there's a good chance that the media will pick up on this story and use it to condemn MR's when in fact this was actually pretty much a non issue.

I haven't turned on the news so I don't know but I can bet that if this gets picked up that by the time it makes the lame stream media they will be reporting how dangerous this was, the MR's could have been hit, caught fire and flown into a nuclear power plant and incinerated the east coast. I'd also be willing to bet that there were those that flew MR's into a fireworks display that were hit, totaling their beloved Phantom but we don't hear about that because the video either wasn't uploaded or not nearly as compelling as these.

Probably the biggest risk to shooting these videos was the same risk that people take daily flying Phantoms, that it would fly away uncontrollably.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
You know there are generally several full sized acft flying over 4th of July fireworks displays all the time which if something went wrong has the potential for much more serious consequences than these. Most fireworks are launched over remote areas so chances are as ridiculous as this sounds if one of those Phantoms would have been hit it probably wouldn't have resulted in anyone getting injured.

I'm not making any excuses for this, certainly bad PR for MR's but the problem is when the MR community condemn's actions like this it almost always results in the media running with it and exacerbating the story ten fold. I know reporters who's job it is to cover things like this that troll RC threads and they never mention the condemnation by this community, they just use it as a source of information to sensationalize their own agenda.

To be totally honest, I think the first video has some awesome shots in it and look at how many times these videos have been viewed in such a short amount of time! We launched a petition to help regulate commercial AP a little before these videos were shot and we're barely at 110 signatures, these videos are at almost 3M views. So it should be no surprise that next year there will be hundreds, if not thousands of MR's flying through fireworks displays, just like there were hundreds of full sized acft flying above them this year.

My point, in part, is that I'm not aware of any accidents as result of flying MR's through fireworks so if these videos had not been uploaded and viewed millions of times then no one, including the media would be the wiser for it. But because these video's have gone viral there's a good chance that the media will pick up on this story and use it to condemn MR's when in fact this was actually pretty much a non issue.

I haven't turned on the news so I don't know but I can bet that if this gets picked up that by the time it makes the lame stream media they will be reporting how dangerous this was, the MR's could have been hit, caught fire and flown into a nuclear power plant and incinerated the east coast. I'd also be willing to bet that there were those that flew MR's into a fireworks display that were hit, totaling their beloved Phantom but we don't hear about that because the video either wasn't uploaded or not nearly as compelling as these.

Probably the biggest risk to shooting these videos was the same risk that people take daily flying Phantoms, that it would fly away uncontrollably.

chuck,

i'm trying to understand your position on these issues but i'm finding contradictions. it is never ok to fly multi-rotor helicopters above 400 ft. it is dumb to fly through fireworks. isn't it possible that a drone/fireworks collision could divert a shell into a crowd of people?

there was a thread started by someone that flew a drone high enough to look down at a professional fireworks display which must have put him at at least 500 ft above the ground and he had to be using FPV gear to keep the shot so centered. so now he's in a dangerous place for manned aircraft that might be documenting the show for the producers or might just be out joy riding watching the fireworks as that is their right.

you need to take one side or the other but i'm having a hard time trying to guess which side you're on.

bart

kloner

Aerial DP
that phantom through the fireworks display has been the centerpiece of the news this morning.... unreal

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Why would anyone want to even buy a drone knowing if they try to do something new with it they will be made the focus of ridicule? They might as well give you an included list of locations and shots you can do without bring busted. I'm not saying I think we should be able to fly anywhere at any time, I'm saying why would you want to pick up this hobby knowing the cross fire you'll enter doing so? Time to revert back to a gopro on a stick!

Ronan

Aircraft are ban from flying near fireworks.

Also it's been discussed to death, if your phantom has a fly away, switch to manual and bring it back. DJI is at fault for not making that clear, users are also at fault for not doing enough research about this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vortex

And we all wonder why the authorities make it so hard for anyone to fly legally...... In a word IRRESPONSIBLE