Flamewheel F550 Frangibility

Mark Brown

I had the unfortunate pleasure of witnessing my Flamewheel throw a leg when brushing into a hill. The drone was traveling at about 15 mph at the time. The bottom PCB broke right behind the screw holes.

I understand the need for a certain degree of frangibility, but this seems like a bit of a structural problem with the flamewheel. With PCBs serving as a structural component, a tiny crash turns into not having a drone for awhile.

Number one: has anyone found replacement PCBs? It seems I am only able to find whole kits, with all the arms.

Number two: Is anyone using methods for reinforcement which might reduce the incidence of this problem?

Some thoughts I had: Epoxy the PCBs to add a bit more strength (perhaps carbon fiber fabric and epoxy), 3d print a ring for the top and bottom so that the PCBs are not structural elements (would need to source appropriate length m2.5 screws to get this to work), or completely discard the PCB and go with another method of holding the arms together.

As it stands now, I don't actually use the PCB as a PDB -- I've got the Arris AlienCopter PDB ( http://amzn.to/1sBmwla for that). Holding the arms together with a 3d printed ring doesn't seem like a bad idea -- just wondering what other people think.