first time fpv'er camera location?

Greg

I have seen it mounted to main body and out front on the boom.From a inexperienced users point of view would one location be better then the other.Would bieng able to see some of the front of my machine perhaps make it easier in some way?.Perhaps advantages/disadvantages to seeing some of the machine versus not seeing machine.

http://imgur.com/6oUWrrz

Old Man

I suppose that depends a lot on the copter and what the owner wants to use it for. A very small machine, like a 250 racer, has a very limited amount of deck space so on a boom is possible but a very small cam on the frame is more likely. A racing quad would put a camera on a boom at pretty high risk.

For those that want to record video from an FPV cam (there are some very good FPV cameras available) the thought of seeing much of the aircraft might be quite bothersome. If using a larger MR, say 400mm and larger, putting the camera on a boom could be worthwhile as long as airframe vibrations did not get amplified by the boom and render any video difficult, if not impossible, to use.

For others the FPV camera is used in conjunction with a dedicated video camera. FPV is used for directional guidance and telemetry via an OSD while the dedicated video camera is used for still and video captures. Those that desire to produce a high quality visual product do not want to see any part of the airframe in the final product and go to great length and expense to assure the camera's view is only "seeing" things not associated with the copter.

If just flying around and having fun with an FPV camera there's no detriment to seeing some of the copter, like the prop tips, in the view. You're genrally more focused on what's further out front and leanr to ignore props and such in the screen.

Greg

Vibrations is reason enough to mount to body and the fact that this will be first time with fpv.Also seeing some of my quad may make it easier to have some reference to as disatnce in relation to surrounding space.Thanks for the reply