First Quadcopter

dooble

Hello, I was hoping i could pick all of your brains and get some advice for a first aircraft. I have been doing a little research but I think I am getting bogged down with all of the information and getting information overload. I am not looking at purchasing individual parts but I am looking forward to putting the whole thing together. I wanted to get your opinion on what quadcopter kit might be good for what i am looking for.
I want to start by saying that I am probably not going to be doing any (very minimal) aerial photography. Additionally, I do not have any quadcopter experience (just a 30 dollar toy helicopter) and I do not have any FPV experience. I was more or less wanting to have FPV flight for fun and just buzz the thing around. I live in a wooded area so there are alot of trees so reception could be a little bit of an issue. I definitely would want something that is FPV for the "feel" of flying. I definitely want to build the quad but don't really want to have to worry about compatibility of components, otherwise i will get slammed with more information overload. I would like something that is upgradeable and I am able to grow with. I feel building and upgrading will give good knowledge going forward without the burden of information overload in the beginning. I was hoping to get a lengthy flight time, around 15 mins or so.

With this said I was looking into the TBS discovery. Is this overkill, like trying to hit an ant with a sledge hammer? Like I said I am looking into kits and was wondering what meet my wants? I also would love to hear of other kits you all feel are suitable for me.

thanks for reading if you don't the tldr; verion is below.

1) new to quadcopters - no flight experience except 30 dollar toy helicopter
2) want a kit that is upgradable and able to grow with
3) wants FPV - lots of trees in area where i live
4) not interested in aerial photography/ videos
5) looking for 15-20 mins flight time if possible
6) has information overload
7) open to kit suggestions
8) Thanks for reading

Hi,

I think if you jump right into a kit, you'll be missing out on a lot of the learning that can later get you out of a tight spot, or allow you to creatively upgrade your craft. Personally, I think if your only experience is with a toy, you should start by getting a cheap quad that would can afford to crash. Trust me it will still be fun, and once you get it built, you'll then feel more comfortable with designing your own set-up, which is more rewarding than a kit, IMO. You should embrace the challenges ahead. You speak of information overload like it's a disease, but trust me - information is your friend. The more you have, the better :) If I were you, I'd get $10 frame, and follow the frame's instructions for suggestions on 4 cheap ESCs and motors. Follow the motors specs for suggestions on props and power (lipo battery). Then you just need a KK2 board and some wire. Build that. Fly it. Crash it a bunch of times. Fix it. Crash it some more. THEN start thinking about FPV.

Hello, I was hoping i could pick all of your brains and get some advice for a first aircraft. I have been doing a little research but I think I am getting bogged down with all of the information and getting information overload. I am not looking at purchasing individual parts but I am looking forward to putting the whole thing together. I wanted to get your opinion on what quadcopter kit might be good for what i am looking for.
I want to start by saying that I am probably not going to be doing any (very minimal) aerial photography. Additionally, I do not have any quadcopter experience (just a 30 dollar toy helicopter) and I do not have any FPV experience. I was more or less wanting to have FPV flight for fun and just buzz the thing around. I live in a wooded area so there are alot of trees so reception could be a little bit of an issue. I definitely would want something that is FPV for the "feel" of flying. I definitely want to build the quad but don't really want to have to worry about compatibility of components, otherwise i will get slammed with more information overload. I would like something that is upgradeable and I am able to grow with. I feel building and upgrading will give good knowledge going forward without the burden of information overload in the beginning. I was hoping to get a lengthy flight time, around 15 mins or so.

With this said I was looking into the TBS discovery. Is this overkill, like trying to hit an ant with a sledge hammer? Like I said I am looking into kits and was wondering what meet my wants? I also would love to hear of other kits you all feel are suitable for me.

thanks for reading if you don't the tldr; verion is below.

1) new to quadcopters - no flight experience except 30 dollar toy helicopter
2) want a kit that is upgradable and able to grow with
3) wants FPV - lots of trees in area where i live
4) not interested in aerial photography/ videos
5) looking for 15-20 mins flight time if possible
6) has information overload
7) open to kit suggestions
8) Thanks for reading

flynhawn

I've got the Nano QX and love it! Easy to fly and take a lick when I crash, which I must say is diminishing. Been flying this little guy around in my house since June and do about 30 flights a day using 6 Pulse 160s lipos.

dooble

hey guys. I figure i would stop in and give an update. I ended up purchasing an MQX, this thing was awesome not to mention extremely durable. I ended up getting pretty good flying it around my yard. If you noticed the past tense you realize that i am not able to fly it anymore or at least right now. Unfortunately while flying it I managed to step on a hornets nest while walking through my property/woods. When the colony swarmed me, i managed to push my elevator all the way up when running and probably pushed the right joystick also (maybe just bad luck a strong gust of wind). Anyway, it managed to get stuck in a tree 60 ft off the ground. There have been a few days of rain, so i am imagining the motors are shot and so it the battery. In addition to getting stung over 20 times I also lost a great beginner quadcopter. I am definitely up for continuing this and depending on if i can get this thing down (i doubt i will), i probably will be purchasing another MQX. I had a question about radios if i do purchase another one. I can use the stock one ([FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif] MLP4DSM) but is it better for me to get something like the dx6i? Sometimes i found the stock transmitter to be way to sensitive.

thanks,

-dooble
[/FONT]