First quad, first build, need help

Raptorboy

Good day! My son and I built a quad from an ebay seller. S500, kk2.1.5, 30a ESC, 980kV motors. It is built I just cannot for the life of me get it to fly. When it goes to take off if will just flip over. Who can help. I have checked the obvious stuff many times. How do I know for sure I do not have a defective board or ESC??

jinly

Good day! My son and I built a quad from an ebay seller. S500, kk2.1.5, 30a ESC, 980kV motors. It is built I just cannot for the life of me get it to fly. When it goes to take off if will just flip over. Who can help. I have checked the obvious stuff many times. How do I know for sure I do not have a defective board or ESC??

It sounds like a classic situation where either the props are turning the wrong way or the esc's are plugged into the wrong port on the FC. Make sure :
1) The Props are on the right motor ( i.e. CW on CW motors & CCW on CCW motors)
2) The ESC's are plugged into the right port on the FC (kk2. Board)
3) Verify the two front motors are spinning opposite each other (i.e. CW against CCW)
4) Verify the two rear motors are spinning opposite each other.

Any Videos or pictures of your Quadcopter? it would help.

Raptorboy

It sounds like a classic situation where either the props are turning the wrong way or the esc's are plugged into the wrong port on the FC. Make sure :
3) Verify the two front motors are spinning opposite each other (i.e. CW against CCW)

Thanks for the reply. I have tripple checked those items. I'll try to upload some pics and video.

Link to a video.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 270

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
A beginner's error that most of us have made is trying to take-off slowly. Once your props are spinning, you have to punch it into the air. Once it has room to move a bit, then the flight controller can read its sensors and keep it level in Atti mode.

Another note: you want to start flying nose out with you facing the back of the quad. That way your inputs match the sticks on your radio. I tie short pieces of pink surveyor's tape to my back landing legs to help me stay oriented as to which way the MR is facing in the air.

Raptorboy

It will not fly if I take off quickly or slow. There is clearly an issues somewhere. In fact if I hold the quad in my hand and spin up the props to the point that is has enough thrust to fly the quad. I can feel it pulling itself into a crash. It will pull twards whatever direction I tip it.

jinly

Your video says its private and could you attach your props to your Quadcopter and show the front and the rear? Thanks

I saw your video If you look real close the front left motor (CCW, as the quad is facing you) seems to start late compared to the other three motors. Did you throttle calibrate your ESC's through your radio's receiver? (don't hook it up to the FC, but hook each esc directly to channel three of your recever . Then turn your radio on , put the throttle to high and power up the receiver. you'll hear a beep (indicating the high throttle limit set). then put the throttle down to low. You'll hear a beep (indicating the low setting set up).

Raptorboy

I saw your video If you look real close the front left motor (CCW, as the quad is facing you) seems to start late compared to the other three motors. Did you throttle calibrate your ESC's through your radio's receiver? (don't hook it up to the FC, but hook each esc directly to channel three of your recever . Then turn your radio on , put the throttle to high and power up the receiver. you'll hear a beep (indicating the high throttle limit set). then put the throttle down to low. You'll hear a beep (indicating the low setting set up).
I have tried to throttle calibrate the ESCs several times and I have no idea if I have done so correctly. In fact, that is on my list of possible issues. In the research I have done. I have never heard of calibrating them through the receiver. Always the FC. Does it work better through the receiver?

jinly

I have tried to throttle calibrate the ESCs several times and I have no idea if I have done so correctly. In fact, that is on my list of possible issues. In the research I have done. I have never heard of calibrating them through the receiver. Always the FC. Does it work better through the receiver?

yes, because you want the radio to set the throttle , the FC just regulates the wanted power output to each motor for yaw , pitch acceleration, etc. You should always calibrate the throttle limits through the receiver only. Then your motors will all spool together when the radio gives the command to. I think that ESC has different throttle limits than the other. explains why it flips.

Raptorboy

yes, because you want the radio to set the throttle , the FC just regulates the wanted power output to each motor for yaw , pitch acceleration, etc. You should always calibrate the throttle limits through the receiver only. Then your motors will all spool together when the radio gives the command to. I think that ESC has different throttle limits than the other. explains why it flips.
I can try that tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. If it works I'm going to kiss you!

F

fengshuidrone

It is possible to have all your props spinning in the right direction and still have ESC wires wrong. Double check your wiring as far as ESC to FC and ESC to motor.

Raptorboy

It is possible to have all your props spinning in the right direction and still have ESC wires wrong. Double check your wiring as far as ESC to FC and ESC to motor.
How so? The ESC are getting their power from the frame of the quad that is clearly marked + and -. The ESCs then plug into FCB motor 1 at the top right then motor 2,3,4. Motor 1 is front left, motor 2 is front right, motor 3 is back right, motor 4 is back left.

F

fengshuidrone

Your motors spin directionally based on what wires are hooked up where. Reverse any two motor wires leaving the third alone and the motor will spin in opposite directions from where it just was spinning. Lets say you hooked motor 2 to motor input 1 instead of where it belongs, on 2, and motor 1 was hooked to motor 2 instead of 1. You can still make both motors turn the right direction by having the wires hooked up to do that. If one was really careless and hooked up ALL the ESC in to FC wires wrong (ie. 1 to 4 and 3 to 2) you could STILL make all the motors go the right rotation just by switching leads at the motor end. The result of a setup with this error is a flip upon takeoff. I know all of this because that was one of my beginner errors that ruined the maiden flight of my quad. So technically it is possible to do what I said. It was just a guess. I've seen it before. Do you have everything from receiver to FC right? Haven't seen anyone mention that yet. Just trying to help narrow things down.

Last edited:

Raptorboy

Your motors spin directionally based on what wires are hooked up where. Reverse any two motor wires leaving the third alone and the motor will spin in opposite directions from where it just was spinning. Lets say you hooked motor 2 to motor input 1 instead of where it belongs, on 2, and motor 1 was hooked to motor 2 instead of 1. You can still make both motors turn the right direction by having the wires hooked up to do that. If one was really careless and hooked up ALL the ESC in to FC wires wrong (ie. 1 to 4 and 3 to 2) you could STILL make all the motors go the right rotation just by switching leads at the motor end. The result of a setup with this error is a flip upon takeoff. I know all of this because that was one of my beginner errors that ruined the maiden flight of my quad. So technically it is possible to do what I said. It was just a guess. I've seen it before. Do you have everything from receiver to FC right? Haven't seen anyone mention that yet. Just trying to help narrow things down.
I totally see where you are coming from now. I am quite sure I have the correct motor on the correct channel. But I will triple check just to be super sure. Thanks for your input.

Raptorboy

I tried to calibrate the ESCs a few times again with no luck. I tried it through the kk2 board and I tried to do it one at a time through channel 3 if the receiver. It appears to work, just doents have any effect on it's flight. I'm going to be posting videos about my tight motors. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

jinly

The motors should NOT be tight like that. Brushless motors should spin freely. If you have to move them about to get them to spin freely. I think you have bad motors. What kind are they? If it was my "build." I would buy different motors. Look for quality ones like Sunnysky Brand. Which I use. I like them because they are pretty reliable. I wouldn't trust motors that may seize up in the air. Obviously they aren't getting your "rig" in the air. To be safe , switch them out. Ask the Forum what Brand of motors people like.