First ground test with Clover & Skew 5.8Ghz

Jessestr

Hello there

I just did my first ground test with my first set of skew & cloverleaf antenna's (5.8Ghz) and I couldn't get much further than with stock antenna's.

My camera and immersionRc 5.8Ghz vTx was lying on the ground in front of my home and I walked away with the goggles. I get a lot of noise.. There are much trees, plants and some cars between the signal.. but clover & skew shouldn't make a problem on that right?

I'm getting like 30 meters and then I get heavy noise. Any idea why? I've seen people go much further with this setup :(

kloner

Aerial DP
you wouldn't want to test it with everything laying on the ground. You would want the transmitter antenna upright. if i'm a mile out and go 2 feet, it breaks up with the 2.4...... 5.8 is more like 5 feet up or if anything gets between it and you. Oh yes, 5.8 is 5.8 and it's trademark is no penetration, the cp antennas just make this stuff work better when you start tilting the craft around. planes don't generally tilt much other than banking in a turn, and that's when they wish they had cp....... rubber duck goes further but doesn't go behind stuff as well as CP.

Show us some pics of what you got or are doing. On the ground if your seeing a ton of junk before it's even on a craft say sitting on a cardboard box and up in the air a foot or so, then you either got a lot of interference from something around you using 5.8 or the power source is crap. what brand is it all? any noise filters? what powers it?

Jessestr

Both antenna's facing up. My vTx was lying in the garage tho. Not yet outside because if someone drove on my parking spots my cam could get killed.

In this test the receiver was flying (me walking around) and the transmitter was just on the ground)

kloner

Aerial DP
this
001 (1024x768)_795.jpg

made this

that's immersion 5.8 600mw, Dis is distance in feet, left slider is speed, right is altitude. But notice how nothing gets between us. That is captured from my video receiver to a dvr, it's exactly what was fed to the monitor. if it doesn't work like that, something wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessestr

Edit: I just saw the video.. You are flying above the things. But I was testing on ground.

Show us some pics of what you got or are doing. On the ground if your seeing a ton of junk before it's even on a craft say sitting on a cardboard box and up in the air a foot or so, then you either got a lot of interference from something around you using 5.8 or the power source is crap. what brand is it all? any noise filters? what powers it?

I'll make some pictures and post them tonight.

I have:
- Fat Shark Dominator with the 5.8Ghz Module
- ImmersionRc 5.8Ghz V2 vTx
- Powered by a 3S LiPo
- My cam is just a HoryzonHD with a voltage regulator which cleans the signal
- Both vTx and camera are powered from battery directly.. Not between each other

My situation:
- vTx is literally on ground.. Antenna up just behind my car in the garage.. then I have some parking spots in front of my house.. Some plants and small tree's..
- I was walking with goggles.. antenna up
- Walking in my street.. it's not on the picture.. It's just behind the black car

Here a photo of the front. The ellipse is where my gear was lying around. The two cars with the cross were not there when testing.

50339f73d6130-FILE0003.JPG

Jessestr

In other words? I'm screwed with 5.8Ghz for some FPV'ing here? I will fly higher and on a more open space to take off..

kloner

Aerial DP
right, for that video to reach out 2000 feet on 5.8 it needs everything out of the way. that craft ground checked like a rock star. Your looking for good clean signal say 100 yards clear los with it on a table, sitting on that hedge, roof of a car, something like that while you tilt and spin it around. You see clear, it's ready. You don't see it clear, it's not gonna work in the sky very far

better yet, go find a big empty parking lot. The antenna mast from the video transmitter is critical. that's what i was trying to show you in the pictures........ you want to do it in wavelengths long, 5.8 is 3.333" but you can multiply it like 6.666, 9.999, etc long for best case scenario. it is why i started making my own stuff past the vtx..... hard to buy it just right

Jessestr

I see. So get it more open and I get 100 yards should be fine? I just want to fly 500 meter around.. Should be do-able right?

Jesse

kloner

Aerial DP
with the cloverleafs on both sides, it'll be a little broken up but doable depending how clean you get the setup. a high gain patch like helical or crosshair will get you alot clearer alot further.

it has to check out on the ground too. While your checking the video part, you want it all connected to the craft with everything on and you want to watch for the craft glitching or going in and out of failsafe while your doing this. Watch the VU led for rapid flashing if it's setup right

is the filter you speak of for the cam the one the recall on that cam changed about it? for teh immersion vtx, solder its power leads right to the flight battery. if anything needs a seperate pack it'd be the cam, but if this filter your talking about covers that, i'd power it all off the flight pack/s

i've taken 5.8 a mile with a crosshair and it still had crystal clear signal. i was running out of batteries. Almost exactly setup like yours except the gopro was powered by it's own battery pack

kloner

Aerial DP
one other thing beside the tall mast that gets the antenna away from the vtx is i had to change my channel to get it that good. the stock ch1 didn't work for me. i went to ch4

this was my first try, probably looks familliar

then i did the cp antennas on a mast and got this

and i took that later setup just like that out into the open and had awesome quality link, flew 2000 feet till failsafe would sketch me out and i'd come back.....

Jessestr

"is the filter you speak of for the cam the one the recall on that cam changed about it?"
What do you mean?

Will do another test in an open area and see if it's better.

Well my image is very clear and very nice quality. I can see every detail. Just some noise when walking away and at a few meters it starts to get heavy noise. One side of the street almost no noise the other full of noise.
Running Ch1.. will switch to Ch4 5800 Mhz and check.

How can I put my skew on a mast? I have the module for my fat shark.

Edit: Was checking inside and I've noticed that my Fat Shark got a clean signal from Ch4 to Ch7.. if I go lower I get white image with much noise.. Other channels all black

Edit 2: Here's a picture out of the goggles. Sorry no DVR took with my phone. You can see that the image is very clear. It was inside my room and I went outside. There's one spot in my house where I lose signal for a moment.. But I have clear image when standing outside and the rest in the room.. Also headbanged with the fat shark. Image had no noise.

582743_10151008984966709_369986936_n.jpg

Attachments

• 582743_10151008984966709_369986936_n.jpg
    582743_10151008984966709_369986936_n.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 211

kloner

Aerial DP
last week i got an email from foxtech saying they were shipping out some recal fix something or rather for the v.1 cams at no cost. think it prevented uhf interferrence but don't know what else it was causing. They said v.2 you had to buy it cause the warning was on the site when it was for sale there about it causing interference

To put it on a mast you gotta make it or buy it. i get my connectors from this guy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320847583841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320847631864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

then you still need the wire. rmrc has the 12" extensions you can get, trim to size and put a piece of pvc on it to make it stiff then get a connector at radio shack to put it back together the right length.

I'll make/sell ya one at cost....... is your three lobe like this?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=459

you wanted this
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=596

but a bolt on mast works fine between the two. What doesn't work good is a short bluebeam straight on the tx

Jessestr

Yes I'm a reviewer for FOXTechFPV. I'm getting a UHF shield and 7" monitor to review. But 2.4Ghz / 5.8Ghz doesn't need UHF shield right?

Here's a picture of my antenna's.. What would be the cost to make a mast for me and do you have a picture of the final look?

551199_10151009065056709_1800133454_n.jpg

last week i got an email from foxtech saying they were shipping out some recal fix something or rather for the v.1 cams at no cost. think it prevented uhf interferrence but don't know what else it was causing. They said v.2 you had to buy it cause the warning was on the site when it was for sale there about it causing interference

To put it on a mast you gotta make it or buy it. i get my connectors from this guy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320847583841?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320847631864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

then you still need the wire. rmrc has the 12" extensions you can get, trim to size and put a piece of pvc on it to make it stiff then get a connector at radio shack to put it back together the right length.

I'll make/sell ya one at cost....... is your three lobe like this?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=459

you wanted this
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_45_49_97&products_id=596

but a bolt on mast works fine between the two. What doesn't work good is a short bluebeam straight on the tx

kloner

Aerial DP
these already have a mast so your good there. What brand are they? different look to em, and really thick wire for 5.8

anything that makes interference is bad. when you talk about frequencies, there wavelengths like if you imagine an ocean swell. it'll peak on each wavelengths center so 433mhz next is 866mhz, next is 1299mhz, next is 1732, 2.165g, 2.598g, 3031g...... now those two doublled are all around your 5.8 frequency. as each wavelength peaks, it looses a little more energy at a time till it peters out, but anything on board with interference is a distance killer

if this continues to not get range, i'd swap back to rubber duck or whatever came with your gear and see if is any better.

kloner

Aerial DP
trees make it horrible, you'll want to scrape the tops, get down below em and your gonna loose the link

900mhz has the least problem going through stuff, 5.8 is the worst. Complete other end of the spektrum. 2.4 video is best, but you gotta goto 433mhz control like ezuhf

kloner

Aerial DP
I'd make what you have here work first, then decide if it's even for you. might not like it, or you might fall head over heals, in which case things start looking alot cheaper especially when they work

ezuhf is $319 with everything you need to plug and play one rig, from there on out it's $119 for single or $139 for diversity receivers. The link is so solid and the 2.4 video is so awesome, it's the only way to fly

Uno or lawmate 2.4 receiver $60
Lawmate 2.5 500mw vtx $50
or
immersion 2.4 tx and the 2.4 module for your goggles

the other radio setup but doesn't let you use it with 2.4 cause is the frsky deal.

1.3 works pretty good but the cp stuff starts getting kinda big and the dji gps hates it.....

stay away from dragonlink, it's too finicy, not enough savings. something called range link or chain link, some crap like that but it crashes stuff. the ezuhf works bitchen. i have dragonlink and it and am in the process of swapping everything over to ezuhf so i'll have a dirt cheap dragon link to let go of soon

Jessestr

Well yes. ezUHF is too expensive for my needs. It's not that I'm going to fly far away. 500-1km should be doable. But I want my discovery to go into old crappy buildings too. So should I switch to a 1.3Ghz system OR just get some directional antenna's?
Or will I have as much noise with a directional when I'm standing outside and I'm flying between trees or maybe inside an old building (urban photography) will the directional clear my image or will it be noisy like normal?

I'll try to fix this system of course.