First Build - Tarot 680 Pro Hybrid Hexacopter, build advice welcome!

BrandonHtwo0

Hi everyone!

Been lurking the forums, and a couple of people have gotten me really interested in building my own multirotor. I have some flying experience with quads, however this will be my first build and first hexacopter.

The goal of my build is to have this as a primarily FPV/Arial Video craft with a long flight time and plenty of available thrust for lifting toys every once in a while (like dropping a water balloon, or carrying a bottle of water a short distance, for instance). The bulk of the flight will be using a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition, a Tarot 2D 2-Axis gimble, a relatively lightweight FPV setup (board camera, tx, antenna), a set of retracts, and maybe some miscellaneous lighting.

My planned parts list is:

ComponentSpecific
FrameTarot CF 680 Pro Hex Frame (Hybrid using 680 arms for 15-inch props)
MotorsSunnySky V5308-20 KV580
Speed ControllersDYS Simon K 30A Opto ESC V2
PropellersCarbon Fiber 15x4 (Pair)
Flight ControllerNaza-M V2 w/ GPS Combo
TX/RX (Radio)FrSky X9D Taranis Radio w/ Case
Battery / BatteriesZippy 8000mah 25C 4S (2P)
Battery ChargerTBD
CanopyTarot CF 680 Pro Canopy
GimbalTarot 2-axis Gimbal / Carbon
CameraGoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition

By using the Tarot 680 arms on a Tarot 680Pro frame, I'll be able to support up to 15-inch propellers. I've seen people post similar builds, but they are using a 15x5.5 prop which appears to put me over the max wattage the 3508S-20 580 can support. Also, based on my calculations, it looks like it may even be best to leverage a 14-inch propeller instead of a 15 inch just to keep high-load efficiency more in line.

This build (either 14inch or 15inch) should be able to get me somewhere around mid-20 mins of flight time with plenty of available thrust for lifting some heavier things occasionally. It is also likely my all-up weight will change slightly as I add in some misc items like lighting.

Am I missing something in terms of why some people are using 15x5.5x on a similar setup? Or perhaps does anyone have any recommendations as to changes I should make before I pull the trigger?

Thank you for reading - when I pull the trigger on the parts I'll start a build thread and document everything. Hopefully it helps someone out.

BrandonHtwo0

Also - adding my current calculations.

I think It'll look something like the below, but I may go with 14 inch props?

View attachment 18639

Attachments

• fOs4X2k.jpg
    fOs4X2k.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 570

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome to the forum.

I've built almost the exact same craft (even the taranis), except I didn't go with the longer booms. I've thought about extending it in the future - but for now I'm settled on 13".

The build list looks good except I have no experience with those ESCs. You've probably seen the threads over on RCGroups with the amazing flight times, so hopefully we will have similar experiences.

I had some issues with my superx running the hobbywing ESCs I got. So I'm tearing the whole thing apart and slapping some different ESCs on there. I would suggest looking into mounting the ESCs below the motor mount. Raises the extended motor wire debate - but plenty have been successful with this move. The frame doesn't leave a lot of room for a neat ESC install on the belly or plates.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Good luck and have fun.

BrandonHtwo0

Thanks for the response. I actually have only seen one or two threads - the RCGroups forum layout is a bit confusing (so many subforums...) and not sure where to find other similar builds.

The ESC's are up in the air for me at the moment - I intend to mount them under the motors and take my chances with the longer motor wires but as you said, it seems to not necessarily be too big of a deal and people have had success with them. On another post I was browsing, it seemed to be a firmware change was what was needed on their ESC's to get them to work properly. I'll probably hunt around a bit to find someone who has the same motor/flihgt computer setup to confirm the ESC's to use.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks for the response. I actually have only seen one or two threads - the RCGroups forum layout is a bit confusing (so many subforums...) and not sure where to find other similar builds.

The ESC's are up in the air for me at the moment - I intend to mount them under the motors and take my chances with the longer motor wires but as you said, it seems to not necessarily be too big of a deal and people have had success with them. On another post I was browsing, it seemed to be a firmware change was what was needed on their ESC's to get them to work properly. I'll probably hunt around a bit to find someone who has the same motor/flihgt computer setup to confirm the ESC's to use.

I tried the Naza on the 680 just to see that it worked with the hobbywing and sunnysky combo - and it worked great. Some people have had sync issues with the simonk firmware with these sunnysky that we have - which is why I went non-simonk nut then I had the superx issue. It's always something :)

ill be trying some simonk next - so I'll let you know how it goes.

BrandonHtwo0

Cool~ If you don't mind me asking, which pitch did you use on the propellers? I'll likely use smaller propellers to start, and then test/tune using a few different options. So far I'm thinking I should use 15x4 (or lower pitch) for endurance flight, and 14x6 or so for lifting things like waterballoon bombs and such.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Cool~ If you don't mind me asking, which pitch did you use on the propellers? I'll likely use smaller propellers to start, and then test/tune using a few different options. So far I'm thinking I should use 15x4 (or lower pitch) for endurance flight, and 14x6 or so for lifting things like waterballoon bombs and such.

Im using APC 12x3.8 right now. I have a bunch of props to try of various sizes/materials that I've grabbed when good deals came up, and a freshly build bench thrust tester to try them on. I'll be reporting the findings as soon as I get the 580kv on the bench.

i think the smaller props will handle wind better as well, which is something that we have to deal with here in Vermont, almost always.