First 'bad' crash

ProfEngr

It finally happened. Was out getting some scenery shots after the whopping :rolleyes: 1" of snow that fell last night. Guess it was either the wind and/or me getting disoriented, but the quad ended up on the roof; hard. Pure luck that it landed upright. To its credit, it did try to lift off when commanded. However, it didn't help that one of the rear pods snapped off on impact. I managed to scoot it to the ground using the other 3 motors. Doesn't appear to have damaged the battery at least. The FPV and frame took the brunt of it. I'll have to replace the foam tape too.

Frame on order from ebay so I should be back in the air next weekend.

ProfEngr

Next time I'll know better than to get it out in that kind of wind. At least until I can remember which way to move the sticks to compensate. The quad can handle a stronger wind than I'd guessed otherwise. Thanks for the recommend @Bartman

I have had 2 crashes where the craft needed to be almost completely rebuilt. My worst one skipped off my neighbors truck windshield and smashed into his house. The quad practically exploded, what was left was upside down at full throttle, it wore the prop nuts down to nubs before the battery died. I had no control of it. My investigation showed a bad solder joint to the FC but I will never know for sure. No damage to his truck or home, cant say the same for my ego.

ProfEngr

I hope to get into the bigger (450+) quads, but I don't dare until I get more stick time on the Ominus.

I personally think that the 450 flame wheel or clone is a logical next step up from where your at now. You can buy a complete kit or spec one out yourself and it wont cost a lot. You wont regret it one bit. A mini 250 racer is a good choice for a first build as well. I'm not into racing but those little 250's are pretty cool. I built one but I have a fried ESC on it and it's kind of low on the priority list right now.

ProfEngr

I tend to overthink stuff sometimes and have had some expensive learning experiences in the past. Is there a frame that would allow me to fly with just 4 motors, but I could add another 4 coaxial later if I decide to go with a decent gymbal? I figure there might be something designed for 8, but would still fly on 4.

Yes, you would just leave off the extra set of motors, props, ESC's. You cant always have your cake and eat it too. It would be a heavy frame made for a large payload so it "might" not work. You would be better off designing it yourself.

ProfEngr

Got the frame last week. Then noticed the motor pod had snapped off at the screw ear. Down another week for parts. Shame there aren't (near as I can tell) any MR hobby shops in the area.

A good hobby shop is a great thing to have. There's 2 in my vicinity but their both 45 minutes away in opposite directions. So I have to really need something bad to go to them. Lucky for me there's a multirotor website that has their physical warehouse where they ship from in my area so if I order in the morning I can usually get it in the mail the next day.

Hoki

You can build a 450 for like under 100 dollars I think if you order your parts from china on banggood and aliexpress.

ProfEngr

And.... the motor covers are stuck in Chico, CA since 2/1. USPS must be a subsidiary of the VA. Would have done better to order on eBay than Amazon this time. Only thing slower would be China.

Found a HobbyTown nearby, but they only have the non-FPV motor covers. At least I got the guts swapped to the new frame. Dare say I did a better job than the factory too.