FIRE - my Gimbal has blew up, please help!

Mick Koi

The gimbal on my P2 has just blew up, iv done nothing different, its literally the 4th time iv turned the P2 on, camera plugged into gimbal, screwed in, transmitter wired in properly, P2 battery in and as soon as switched on, the gimbal started smoking and flames appeared, I've sh*t myself and instantly blew it and pulled the battery in a split second, some plastic has melted and deco burnt it out??? I've took the camera out incase it was something to do with that, gently put the battery back in again, turned on, and again smoke and crackling noise, iv near vomitted, paced the floor, and shouted at the dog! me head is battered! it was fine yesterday, no problems at, flying, transmitter and fpv working, it was fine.

I know nobody would of had the same problems but can any one maybe tell me what it might of been, or where to go now etc, a friend has brought his P2 round to mine, and i could possibly fit his gimbal on mine to see what happens, but i don't know what to do

Im a total newbie so any possible technical answers, please explain clearly, thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 381
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 407

Mick Koi

where did you buy it from?

it was given to me as a gift, and was bought from one of the 2 main dealers in the UK. There phone lines are now closed, so no point of contact as yet.
Ive just emailed DJI Europe, so hopefully ill get some feedback from them aswell.

SoCal Blur

Just from what you described and the pictures, I would say that there was a short circuit in one of the servos. Poor manufacturing and/or QC at the factory - probably a wire that was knicked or had a poor solder connection. Vibration during your last use could have caused a wire to pop loose, causing a short. I would say this falls under warranty provided you haven't had it that long.

Alas, once the mystical smoke is allowed to escape, you're pretty much done.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if it was purchased from a reputable dealer then you shouldn't have any problems getting a replacement. whatever you do, don't reconnect the power with the gimbal connected! :)

Mick Koi

i think iv worked it out... what do u think?..

something had changed different to the other flights, its just with 2 kids hanging of me waiting to see the "helicopter" fly, i hadn't registered it in my head, the change was...i attached a different transmitter to it...an immersion 600, maybe this sent to much power through it? but that said, a lot of people are using these transmitters with no problems at all, so what happened? after plugging the camera into my mac it has powered up and is working fine so that a relief that the go pro is ok. The P2 itself is ok, so its just the Gimbal that is frazzled, i say 'just' lightly but I'm glad its the only casualty that i can see...
So the transmitter... wired up correctly because the previous one worked fine on the fpv, but the larger Mw one fried it?...

SoCal Blur

i think iv worked it out... what do u think?..

something had changed different to the other flights, its just with 2 kids hanging of me waiting to see the "helicopter" fly, i hadn't registered it in my head, the change was...i attached a different transmitter to it...an immersion 600, maybe this sent to much power through it? but that said, a lot of people are using these transmitters with no problems at all, so what happened? after plugging the camera into my mac it has powered up and is working fine so that a relief that the go pro is ok. The P2 itself is ok, so its just the Gimbal that is frazzled, i say 'just' lightly but I'm glad its the only casualty that i can see...
So the transmitter... wired up correctly because the previous one worked fine on the fpv, but the larger Mw one fried it?...

I guess it really depends on how the Phantom is wired to the gimbal. Theoretically, it should be in parallel as far as power goes so even if the transmitter draws more current, it shouldn't have any effect on the Gimbal.

Tahoe Ed

The vTx does not power back to the GCU. There are other issues in your set up. I use the Immersion 600mw and the DJI vTx neither have cause that problem with either of my two H3-2D's have experienced your issues.

Mick Koi

some pics...

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 350
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 336
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 361
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 329

Mick Koi

the wires have been soldered, then covered twice with insulation tape, loosely zip tied and tidied up etc, I've took zip ties of for the pics, and bear in mind that its been working fine with the first 200mw transmitter.. thanks

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Whilst we're on the subject, it's fine to use an Immersion 600mW on the Zenmuse Z15 GCU? Thinking about trying one instead of the 25mW.

Tahoe Ed

Whilst we're on the subject, it's fine to use an Immersion 600mW on the Zenmuse Z15 GCU? Thinking about trying one instead of the 25mW.

I don't think the GCU cares what it outputs to. You are only doing video and ground. The Immersion can take up to 6S lipo power.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Super. Sometimes the extra range and penetration may come in handy. I imagine it's just the added power drain I have to take into account, although 3W doesn't sound like too much...I was just worried about overloading the GCU. I'm very cautious when it comes to change!

Cheers big ears!