47.9 KB · Views: 411

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
cool

looks like added realestate for more leds also for better orientation

bet there will be loads more ufo reports

keith

Kilby

Looks like a great idea, but wouldn't that defeat the removable arms? Are these quick release of some type, or would you have to unscrew them every time you wanted to take the arms off and pack up the copter?

krleas

FPV Freak
Looks like a great idea, but wouldn't that defeat the removable arms? Are these quick release of some type, or would you have to unscrew them every time you wanted to take the arms off and pack up the copter?

Check picture number6. Its quick release, so there is no problem with packing.

Kilby

How does the "quick release" work? It appears to use a hex screw in the photo. Do you just unscrew it quickly? ;-)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Similar to my batwing camera mount for the f450/550, they do indeed stiffen up the arms and help with vibration a lot. I'd be surprised if these didnt help on the s800 as well.

DennyR

I used a thin cable system which I think works better as it has no natural frequency. Because motion can only go one way in tension and not compression.

Kilby

Its got ball links like single rotor heli push rods.
I wonder if this would be beneficial for all multi rotors.

I can see that, but the ball joints are screwed down with a hex screw, are they not? It shows 1 hex screw and 1 nut for each of the ball joints as well as photos of them in use, unless I'm missing something.

It just seems like very odd logic to me. You design a copter that has an advantage of using removable (clip on) arms. That design introduces a flaw in the form of high frequency vibration, so to combat that you go back and undo the advantage of removable arms by screwing each one to the next? At least stick with the design theme of the copter and allow the pushrods to be installed/uninstalled without the need for tools. That doesn't seem like a very difficult task, especially if you plan to charge such a premium for said product.

Just my 2 cents.

maxwelltub

Kilby, I think you need to screw on the ball links, and then the rod between the arms just snaps on the balls. Similar to the head assembly of the CP heli. So true you may need tools for install, but once install it is quick release. On a CP heli they can be tricky to get off due to tight space, but these look like they would be quite simple given the space and leverage. Interested in seeing video with and without. I have not yet experienced jello or vibs from my s800/z15 combo.

Edit, I see what you're saying actually. There is a screw on top, but I think the ball link just pops up over the screw. Looks like screw just holds the brass piece in.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

IF they are connected with ball links, it's pretty easy to assemble or dis-assemble them for transport. That snap-on and snap off will wear the ball links off eventually, but they are replaced for a couple of cents.

To get it on and off you simply need this cheap tool:

I never got any bad product from Kopterworx, those guys know what they are doing and wouldn't offer useless stuff.....

....while you guys are still scratching your heads, I ordered one just now....only two left.....was a lot more 2 hours ago.....just wondering how many are ordered by Austrians ???? :tennis:

Chris

FerdinandK

To be honest, I got the S800 together with the Zenmuse some time ago, after some days of testing I decided not to continue with the Zenmuse on the S800, and used different copters for the Zen. Since then the S800 is only used for minor tasks, testing new retracts, lifting some bottles of coke-light, sitting in it´s box, ... . So let´s see if that upgrade helps the S800 to get some major tasks again.

best regards

Ferdinand

The brass screw holds the BALL to the arm.
From that point on and forever the arms snap over the balls,,,, by hand no tool needed.
After the install there is NO TOOLS needed Kilby.
They have stuck with the design theme.

BTW, as it rained all day,,, I spent most of it BALANCING my S800 motors with little bits of sticky copper tape (weighty) from multiwiicopter.com
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/brushless-multicopter-motor-balancing-tape-5-pieceMotor balance tape and guess what..... the big bird is flying like a magic carpet. Almost no vibration at all. I have no idea why I did not do when I first built it.
Balanced the props but not the motors. But I am sure the wider the motor the more important the perfect weight around the casing is needed.
Like a magic carpet. I was considering carbon around the struts yesterday but no need now, however I still think putting the outer diameter in tension is a great idea.
Could also be done with a special build cable and 2 turnbuckle, with eyes on end of arms.
Another rainy day for this one.
RadioFlyer

PS balance motor needs to be done correctly.
a zip tie at first to find light points around body of motor
with multiwii I use config software to get feedback (realtime) on improvements.
with wookong S800 I used pitch only
better taking motor off arm to do.