Failsafe during FPV over Cartagena Colombia

wordupmag

Been in Colombia for over 1 month and have had over 100 successful flights but no matter how many successful flights you have their is always some where you make mistakes. Just wanted to share so others will be more careful. I had to maintain an altitude of 80 feet to keep LOS between me and the hexa. I was out about 1KM (3000ft) and forgot about the buildings and hills between me and the copter and started losing altitude. When the copter descended to about 60 feet I lost both video and tx signal to the hexa and it entered RTH mode. No big deal because this has happened numerous times before. However the problem this time was that I had a 50-60 foot building in the RTH flight path. Watch what happens next.

Last edited by a moderator:

what TX/RX, antennae are you using? it seems like you were getting great distant. BTW: awesome footage and experience.. wish I could feel that comfortable to go that distant with my hexa F550 and WKM.

KS

wordupmag

what TX/RX, antennae are you using? it seems like you were getting great distant. BTW: awesome footage and experience.. wish I could feel that comfortable to go that distant with my hexa F550 and WKM.

KS
I'm using dx8 with ar8000 for control and for video i'm using 1.3 800MHz with clover antenna

wordupmag

thanks..

was there a reason you picked 1.3 for Video over the others?

Sorry for the late reply.

I chose 1.3 over the others because of the following:

900mhz is great but it is banned in most countries in south america..including my second homeland of Colombia.(due to the 900mhz is reserved for cellular service) It also does not perform well in urban areas....but It is the best in NON urban areas as far as distance. I have an addition fpv setup for NON urban areas and I use the 900mhz.

2.4ghz has to much interference with other daily appliances including my dx8 transmitter.

5.8ghz is great in the city but has short range and cannot pierce objects very well

That only leaves me with 1.3ghz which great at long distance and piercing objects.