FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Los Angeles, CA

SoCal Blur

FYI

Posted 5/5/14

A FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Los Angeles, CA metropolitan area beginning Wednesday 5/7, at 4:15p and continuing until 11:45a PDT on Thursday, 5/8. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor radio control model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circle for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion when operating within the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information. Timely alerts are also available on the web or on your cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.
See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions.
Map View of the Affected Area
View the TFR in Google Earth
(Open the KML file or download and open in Google Earth)

• Area 1 (5/7, 4:15p - 5/8, 11:45a PDT)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 34 º04'25"N, Longitude: 118 º25'08"W)
  • Area 2 (5/7, 4:15p - 5:30p PDT)
    (8nm radius from Latitude: 33 º56'33"N, Longitude: 118 º24'29"W)
  • Area 3 (5/7, 4:45p - 5/8, 11:30a PDT)
    (8nm radius from Latitude: 34 º12'29"N, Longitude: 118 º29'25"W)
  • Area 4 (5/8, 10:30a - 11:45a PDT)
    (8nm radius from Latitude: 33 º56'33"N, Longitude: 118 º24'29"W)
TFR - 4/6674

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
thank you very much for posting that here.

For the uninitiated, NOTAM is Notice to Airmen, usually issued for a set timeframe and location to let pilots/operators know of changes or hazards

Kilby

Thanks for posting this!

Bart, is it common for the FAA to specifically address model aircraft in a NOTAM? I've seen them many times in my own area (Baltimore/DC), but don't recall ever noticing that bit.

-Terry

W. Reimer

Having spent nearly 40 years in the aviation industry, I'll jump in there; No, it's highly unusual to see a NOTAM specifically identify model aircraft.
Reading between the lines a bit, they do mention a VIP aircraft...is the POTUS scheduled to be in L.A. for anything during those times? That would be
the most likely candidate I would think.

The only time I've seen model aircraft mentioned in a NOTAM has been long term NOTAMS for construction projects generally, especially those off airport but within 5nm of an airfield.
I'm thinking the inclusion of model aircraft in this one is likely due to the proliferation of UAV's equipped with camera systems. The Secret Service is a bit funny with their sensitivities
regarding Air Force One; That they wouldn't like aerial footage of the aircraft being taken wouldn't surprise me

Kilby

Thanks, W. Reimer. I'm going to keep an eye on NOTAMs in the future to see if I notice this inclusion again. I know that we have the POTUS in town this september, and they have already issued their NOTAM, so I'll start there and see if I can find a pattern. There are a lot of things brewing up with the FAA right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of a larger plan.

kloner

Aerial DP
A NOTAM has been issued that will affect flight in the area during President Obama's planned visit.

[h=2]30 NM RADIUS TFR[/h]Location
On the MISSION BAY VORTAC (MZB) 004 degree radial at 7.2 nautical miles.
From the surface up to but not including 18000 feet MSL.

Times
11:15 am local until 3:00 pm local Thursday, May 8, 2014

[h=2]13 NM RADIUS No-Fly Zone[/h]Location
On the MISSION BAY VORTAC (MZB) 004 degree radial at 7.2 nautical miles.
From the surface up to but not including 18000 feet MSL.

Times
11:15 am local until 3:00 pm local Thursday, May 8, 2014

[h=2]Affected Public Use Airports[/h]
KMYF Montgomery Field
KSAN San Diego Intl
KSEE Gillespie Field
KCRQ Mc Clellan-Palomar

<tbody>
</tbody>
KRNM Ramona
KSDM Brown Field Muni
KOKB Oceanside Muni
L18 Fallbrook Community Airpark

<tbody>
</tbody>

[h=2]Additional Notes:[/h]No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

Except as specified below, excluding mexican airspace, and/or unless authorized by ATC in consultation with the air traffic security coordinator via the domestic events network (DEN):

A. All aircraft operations within the 13 NMR area(s) listed above, known as the inner core(s), are prohibited except for: Approved law enforcement, military aircraft directly supporting the United States Secret Service (USSS) and the office of the President of the United States, approved air ambulance flights, and regularly scheduled commercial passenger and all-cargo carriers operating under one of the following TSA-Approved standard security programs/procedures: aircraft operator standard security program (AOSSP), full all-cargo aircraft operator standard security program (FACAOSSP), model security program (MSP), twelve five standard security program (TFSSP) all cargo, or all-cargo international security procedure (ACISP) and are arriving into and/or departing from 14 cfr part 139 airports. All emergency/life saving flight (medical/law enforcement/firefighting) operations must coordinate with ATC prior to their departure at 858-537-5900 to avoid potential delays.

B. For operations within the airspace between the 13 nmr and 30 nmr area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, seaplane operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and utility and pipeline survey operations.

D. FAA recommends that all aircraft operators check notams frequently for possible changes to this TFR prior to operations within this region.

<tbody>
</tbody>

W. Reimer

Ah, so it WAS for a POTUS visit. Although I know the FAA is absolutely reeling from their defeat in Court (I've spoken with a few former colleagues in the FAA since...they had some VERY interesting opinions of what would happen as a result), trying to exercise some type of control over UAV operation through the use of the NOTAM system will be a non-starter...even within their own agency, the Administration would get HUGE push-back from Air Traffic Services.

It is really interesting to see the inclusion of that type of verbiage in a NOTAM, though. I'm not at all sure that it's a good thing to have become part of that "Club".
An ongoing, and increasingly onerous challenge in aviation is to impart accurate, up-to-date and COMPLETE listings of any and all hazards to Airmen, without being too verbose. There is actually a very rigid, national vetting system that governs NOTAM issuance, what is said, and how it is said. Bottom line; it has to be REALLY important information to make it into a NOTAM.

Each airport of any size has a system called ATIS...automated terminal information services. It's a frequency that a pilot can tune into, and listen to a recorded version of all applicable NOTAMS and Voice Advisories in place for a given airport. The total message length ideally should never exceed two or three minutes. That's really hard to accomplish for an area like L.A. with multiple airports. So, for "model aircraft" which I think we would all agree in this instance is most probably directed at UAVs to be included in a NOTAM says to me anyway that this issue is right on the top shelf in terms of importance to the FAA. That could be a good thing...but I wouldn't bet on it, since they've already shown their hand as being much more inclined to restrict UAVS than accept them.

kloner

Aerial DP
we were at Red Bull in LA last time he was here,,,, there was a notam and a shooting at Santa Monica College..... We were in the parking lot setting up to fly inside the building and this helicopter dam near landed on us..... cops.... we didn't fly, but after the president went by the helicopter left us alone. Were were pretty visible from the sky, sure we made some sort of threat to them

I get notams all the time from AOPA, but this time AMA sent em out to members via email.....

I've been told that presidential seal on AF1 is tagged and they see anything to do with it if it's ever posted/hosted..... I pressed my luck and posted some stuff and was never contacted....

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
that notam i posted was for san diego the next day, here is the aopa version for the one so cal posted

A NOTAM has been published that will affect flight in the area during President Obama's planned visit.

[h=2]30 NM RADIUS TFR[/h]Location
On the SANTA MONICA VOR/DME (SMO) 011 degree radial at 4.2 nautical miles.
From the surface up to but not including 18,000 feet MSL.

Times
4:15 PM local Wednesday, May 7, 2014 until 11:45 AM local Thursday, May 8, 2014

[h=2]8 NM RADIUS NO-FLY ZONE[/h]Location
On the LOS ANGELES VORTAC (LAX) 050 degree radial at 1.3 nautical miles.

Times
4:15 PM local until 5:30 PM local Wednesday, May 7, 2014
10:30 AM local until 11:45 AM local Thursday, May 8, 2014

[h=2]8 NM RADIUS NO-FLY ZONE[/h]Location
On the SANTA MONICA VOR/DME (SMO) 016 degree radial at 3.4 nautical miles.

[h=2]2 NM RADIUS EXCLUSION[/h]Location
On the VAN NUYS VOR/DME (VNY) 161 degree radial at 0.9 nautical miles.
From the surface up to but not including 3,000 feet MSL.

Times
4:45 PM local Wednesday, May 7, 2014 until 11:30 AM local May 8, 2014

[h=2]Affected Public Use Airports[/h]
KSMO Santa Monica Muni
KLAX Los Angeles Intl
KBUR Bob Hope
KVNY Van Nuys
KHHR Jack Northrop Field/Hawthorne Muni
KWHP Whiteman

<tbody>
</tbody>
KCPM Compton/Woodley
KTOA Zamperini Field
KEMT El Monte
KLGB Long Beach /Daugherty Field
KFUL Fullerton Muni
L70 Agua Dulce

<tbody>
</tbody>

[h=2]Additional Notes:[/h]No pilots may operate an aircraft in the areas covered by this NOTAM (except as described).

Except as specified below and/or unless authorized by ATC in consultation with the air traffic security coordinator via the domestic events network (DEN):

A. All aircraft operations within the 8 NMR area(s) listed above, known as the inner core(s), are prohibited except for: Approved law enforcement, military aircraft directly supporting the United States Secret Service (USSS) and the office of the President of the United States, approved air ambulance flights, and regularly scheduled commercial passenger and all-cargo carriers operating under one of the following TSA-Approved standard security programs/procedures: aircraft operator standard security program (AOSSP), full all-cargo aircraft operator standard security program (FACAOSSP), model security program (MSP), twelve five standard security program (TFSSP) all cargo, or all-cargo international security procedure (ACISP) and are arriving into and/or departing from 14 CFR part 139 airports. All emergency/life-saving flight (medical/law enforcement/firefighting) operations must coordinate with ATC prior to their departure at 858-537-5900 to avoid potential delays.

B. For operations within the airspace between the 10 NMR and 30 NMR area(s) listed above, known as the outer ring(s): All aircraft operating within the outer ring(s) listed above are limited to aircraft arriving or departing local airfields, and workload permitting, ATC may authorize transit operations. Aircraft may not loiter. All aircraft must be on an active IFR or VFR flight plan with a discrete code assigned by an air traffic control (ATC) facility. Aircraft must be squawking the discrete code prior to departure and at all times while in the TFR and must remain in two-way radio communications with ATC.

C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, seaplane operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, radio controlled model aircraft operations, model rocketry, unmanned aircraft systems (UAS), and utility and pipeline survey operations.

D. FAA recommends that all aircraft operators check NOTAMS frequently for possible changes to this TFR prior to operations within this region.

<tbody>
</tbody>

W. Reimer

I get notams all the time from AOPA, but this time AMA sent em out to members via email.....

I've been told that presidential seal on AF1 is tagged and they see anything to do with it if it's ever posted/hosted..... I pressed my luck and posted some stuff and was never contacted....[/QUOTE]

I suspect the AMA also sees the deeper meaning (intent?) of a NOTAM like this being issued. I certainly don't think wide-spread paranoia is the reaction that should be taken here, but I don't think it's terribly wise for anyone to blow it off as meaningless either ( BTW, NOT suggesting anyone here, especially you kloner is doing either).

I guess seeing this one day after reading quite a number of defamatory comments about the FAA and the NPS about shutting down someone for flying in Yosemite makes me wonder if some people just cannot grasp the simple "cause & effect" reaction some of their "innocent fun" can elicit.

Before I retired, I had occasion to deal with the Secret Service in preparation for the President coming to Canada and landing at the airport I managed to attend a G-8 Conference. Without going into detail, I can tell you I have never, before or since, seen a group with such single-minded purpose and incredible attention to detail as the advance prep team is. They leave absolutely NOTHING to chance...nothing. I don't think we would be able to come up with all of the protective measures they take in our wildest imaginations. It's really an impressive show

W. Reimer

The Operations Not Authorized section has been there much longer than that..I just don't recall seeing UAS's referenced specifically