FAA loses in court.....again.....18 July, 2014

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
http://understandingsuas.com/faa-loses-in-court-again/

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this with regards to the "Interpretation" but maybe the Congressman that is being investigated will carry the torch for the rest of us and work to get the FAA onto a path that can actually lead us somewhere.

Bart

f*ck yes! Just posted this in another thread a minute ago. It's a step towards sensibility? Might not do much for the commercial crowd, but these folks are 501c volunteers who find missing children. Can't we all get on the same page for missing children??? Good grief!

jfro

Aerial Fun
Very interesting story. There's an hour long video from 6-12 months ago about the organization. Drones were finding missing people (usually dead) after fruitless searches in some occasions. A fixed wing drone started offering his services free and had some quick sucesses. FAA started sending him cease and desist letters. Once in front of a husband / wife who's son was missing and they got a temp permit. When the drone operator got there, somehow the FAA had his cell number called him and cancelled saying it was something like 3 days so it was a rescue mission and not a search so they were taking back the temp permission.

If I remember right, the head of the non profit lost his daughter and after a year or two, sold his business and started this volunteer organization to find missing people. He fought and won, congrats to him and his peeps.

Hopefully the congressmanl who's wedding video got him in trouble will see the silliness of what's going on and throw some weight around. Unless of course he is bought by the big boys trying to game the system through rules and regs....

BenSkoning

frozen in the north
Ok... This is great but I am still slightly confused. I am about to take the next step in the hobby to fpv. Is that still illegal? also can anyone get in to the specifics of the "special rule" when it comes to multi?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ok... This is great but I am still slightly confused. I am about to take the next step in the hobby to fpv. Is that still illegal? also can anyone get in to the specifics of the "special rule" when it comes to multi?

It is not now, nor has it ever been illegal. The FAA has issued a "clarification" or interpretation of what they consider to be "model aircraft," which were exempted by the law in 2012. FPV was included in this new interpretation. Technically, this interpretation does not redefine the law - but arguably the FAA is considering it to do so.

At this point, you are technically able to legally utilize FPV equipment.