AerialMediaPros.com F550 with Naza + DX8+AR8000 Set up

highflyer

Hello,
I am very new to the forum world, as well as to the RC world of Helis.

I have just finished building the F550, and getting started on the programming of the radio, though watching the video on PitchBitch helped a great deal, it didn't cover the options on the setup of the DX8, ie the basics of what options to get started with.

Like, Heli or Plane, and all the addition setup parameters. Like I said, I am very new to all of this, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
A

tppeng

for Naza, without GPS, you need two position switch to select between Atti and Normal flight modes, and it can be perfectly done on the Gear Channel with gear switch.

for Naza, with GPS, same as WK-M, you need a three position switch to select between GPS, Atti, and Manual flight modes. Since you generally want to find that switch easily, you may use F Mode, FLAP switch for that channel. To do so, you first make sure you selected your model, and then hold the scroller while turning on Tx power. You should be able to find "Switch Selection" menu. In there, you disable Gear Switch (by default it controls Gear Channel), then you may scroll to either F Mode or FLAP switch, there you should have gear channel controllable.

Once that has done, while plug in your FC to computer, you should be able to flip the switch you assigned and see the change in travel of U Channel (Flight Modes). You might noticed it's not triggering to Manual and GPS but only Atti, that is because the travel range is too great on Gear channel. Limit the travel down to where you can trigger both of them.

On to Fail-safe, you basically need a two way switch to alter your Gear channel travel, to do such, go to your Mix function on DX8, scroll to Mix1, and then here are the settings:

GER > GER
Rate: -50%
-50%
Offset: 0%
Trim: INH
Sw: Mix1

this setting will esentially "shift" your gear channel by 50% when you flip the Mix switch, which then should trigger your FailSafe mode.

Last, again this is optional and needs extra attention when operating. You go to Throttle Curve and activate it, make all your points to 50% thus having a flat throttle curve, but on the very bottom be sure you select a switch to operate this. Reason of doing such is, in Atti/GPS mode, FC is sensing your throttle position as a altitute change command, anything a little above 50% will bring your copter up and vice-versa, so we can utilize throttle curve funtion to "trick" FC as if we are always giving a 50% (Remain Altitude) command. Hence no interaction between rudder and throttle when you do any manuveurs.

I hope these will help. Anymore questions please don't hesitate to pm me.

smurf

that is so much well explined. I did what you mentioned for the FLAP switch, first position on GPS , second on ATTI and 3rd on manual. Thanks a million tppeng. in fact i am in Toronto and would really like to see you fly some day.

I was wondering if you yourself or someone you know happens to know how I can assign AUX 2 for home lock and course lock . where the first position is off and the first and second are course and home lock respectively. I am worried that because I am new at this i might mess up the settings for the other parameters.
would really appreciate you feedback on how i can assign IOC. thanks once again.

glacier51

Highflyer:

If you want to look at how I setup my F550/DX8/AR8000, I have a step by step Excel spreadsheet file you can look at. Has a wiring diagram and images of the DX8 setup screens.

Basically, the setup is like this:

GEAR switch - switched failsafe
FMODE switch - flight mode - GPS, ATT, MAN
FLAP switch - IOC - off, course lock, home lock
MIX/HOLD switch - a mix to add rudder into aileron for coordinated forward flight turns
ELE D/R switch - switches flight mode direct from GPS to MAN for compass calibration

Send me a PM with a private email address and I'll send it along.

Ron

dorbo

@glacier51,
Would you mind sending me the file as well? I am in a similar situation where I think it may help.

Thanks in advance.

Dorn

Highflyer:

If you want to look at how I setup my F550/DX8/AR8000, I have a step by step Excel spreadsheet file you can look at. Has a wiring diagram and images of the DX8 setup screens.

Basically, the setup is like this:

GEAR switch - switched failsafe
FMODE switch - flight mode - GPS, ATT, MAN
FLAP switch - IOC - off, course lock, home lock
MIX/HOLD switch - a mix to add rudder into aileron for coordinated forward flight turns
ELE D/R switch - switches flight mode direct from GPS to MAN for compass calibration

Send me a PM with a private email address and I'll send it along.

Ron

gunner

glacier51: I would love to take a look at your setup. I have just joined so I am new to every thing, not quite sure how to PM. I have just built my 550 and now installing the naza v2 with gps. The first thing I run into was I had to file down the wire connectors that fit in the 8000 hope that was the right thing to do but the did fit after that. I have a spektrum DX8

I’m new and have close to the same situation except I’m trying to install the AR8000 RX on my DJP Phantom. I plane to upgrade to a 550 type soon but building slowly. I have not seen a great video on youtube to explain. There is a Wayne dude but not much help with his video.

TigerTom

Ron,

I'm joining the crowd. I have the DX8 transmitter / receiver combination and the NAZA M with GPS. Get only flashing yellow lights. No motor startup.

Maybe you should can your setup. You could make a fortune off of it judging from the requests.

n5ama@comcast.net

Thanks in advance.
Tom