F550 heavy Lift Upgrade

SkyDyno

Well here goes...

Douglas and I have been thinking of upgrading... I was all set for the Arial Media Pros kit but, unfortunately, they are no longer doing it .

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/f4...-kit-with-arm-extensions-amp-2814-motors.html

So my question is, what alternatives do I have? I can find motors but I haven't found the arm extensions yet....

I've seen the AVroto 2814/22 motors - any opinions welcome.

I was thinking of 12x45 or 12x5 props ??

I have Gensace 5000mha batteries. Been looking at 8000 or 10000 mha batteries ??

I'm looking for a discussion on the pros and cons of upgrading. At the moment, it's totally stock (DJI motors, ESC, 1 battery) and I get about 7mins flight time. I'd like a longer flight time (don't we all :distracted: ) and to be able to carry a slightly heavier load. I want to carry a small 3 axis gimbal, initially for a GoPro, but something a little bigger later (Sony NEX ??)

Help and opinions welcome. Where can I get the parts if I decide to go ahead? what would more experience recommend?

Thanks.... :joyous:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
All depends on the point of the upgrade really. Is it to carry heavier, longer or both? What exactly do you hope to gain out of the upgrade? I haven't forgotten about beers either but I have been snowed under but will give you a call soon for a wee dram.

Toxifera

Hey SkyDyno,

I'll throw in my two cents worth. I just built my own heavy lifter and I am extremely pleased with the outcome.

20140507_094925_zpsmwbhhqmo.jpg

I used the extended aluminum Aimdroix arms from ReadyMadeRC, Tiger U3 Motors, 12"Graupner E-Props, and Castle Creations Multirotor 35 ESC's. I run it with two 4S 12000mah LiPo's from MaxAmps and my last flight time was 30 minutes(I am not exaggerating). I used eCALC Multirotor to run the calculations and it, in addition to the weight it is already carrying, can carry an additional 1803g. I plan on mounting a brushless gimbal with a Alpha Nex-7 for AP work.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

I've had the AMP kit, and it was ok. It's basically a set of bolt on extensions with a set of nice motors and props. After a while I bought the RCTimer 800 arms that fit DJI frames to install rather than use the cnc extensions that come with the kit. I was more pleased with the rct arms in the end. That copter has since become a Frankenstein composed of left over crashed parts, and now is an x8 built off of an F450 frame with the rct 800 arms. It flies exceptionally well! The aluminum arms are truly beautiful. They're nice, but their not cheap.

Toxifera

Hey Daren, Sorry its taken me so long to reply, anyway, here's my gains, 165,165,150,160. atti 120,120. Have a good one.

Daren W

Hey Toxifera, really like your setup and am considering cloning it. If you were to do it over knowing what you do now would you change anything?

Toxifera

Hey Daren,

Thanks, the only thing I am going to add is Aeroxcraft's Anti Vibration isolator Kit And their Silicone Gel Isolators. I don't want to experience any jello. I forgot to mention that I am using a NAZA M V2 flight controller. If you need any more advice, please PM me, I would be happy to help you. Have a good one.