F450 stock kit as first multirotor - which battery and props do people reccomend?

Totality

I've gone round in circles looking at multirotors. Motors, ESCs, etc are so diverse I got a headache. I have decided as my very first multirotor to simply buy a F450 quad as a learning aid as it comes with everything so after getting used to that I can build on the experience instead of wasting money buying motors or ESCs that don't work!

Just wondering if I should buy spare 8" or 10" props? I want to carry a GoPro similar camera and do some FPV. I assume 10" is the way to go but I keep reading about how unstable 10" are?

Then all I need are batteries. 3S or 4S. Capacity, etc. Was simply going to use 3S 2650 but now even batteries are confusing! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Totality, welcome to MRF. Where are you in the world?

It it a Naza or WKM you are buying?

My F450 is WKM . I fly it with 3cell 2200 x2 and 10 inch Graupner elekto props.. Love it. I am sure some one with Naza will jump in and give you more info on what they are flying.

Dave

VINHEX

I was doing the same for months, went with F550 instead as wanted to do the same, Camera/FPV if you buy the F550 this comes with both standard which are little more forgiving than carbon while learning.
If you use a 4S the recommendation is 10" if you use 3S then you can use both.

I currently run 3S on 10" but I might change back to 8" so as to not have so much power giving me a little more control.

As for the F450, I'm sure the guys on hear will let you know if the kit comes with both sets or ask your supplier..

Totality

Thanks guys. I'm from New Zealand where we pay a beach tax - ie nice beaches but bad electronics haha. I have to source everything from overseas hence why I can't just keep going into a local hobby shop to switch parts out :( I have already ordered the Naza with GPS from the normal overseas place I use and was really set on getting an XAircraft X650 but then realised the 30A ESCs won't fit in the arms so was looking at 18A Turnigy Plush only to see people complaining they didn't work with the Nazas, etc, etc.

That's why I am looking at a kit for first time, the same as I did for helicopters, as I learnt so much from the kit helicopter which allowed me to buy a nice second one with the correct parts. The F450 comes with both 8 and 10 inch props which is what started me going round in circles again!! I assumed it just took 8" and that was that!

My current plan is to get 3S 2650 with 8" props for a GoPro and FPV. Unless people reckon going for an F550 for stabilty instead is better? Then again its a case of which batteries would go for a F550 as the 6 rotors need more juice I presume?

VIN, do you use stock DJI props? Any good?

VINHEX

Hi,
In all the reviews I was looking at if you want a fun kit then the F450 is cool, if you want a stable kit for use of a camera ect. then the F550. It's down to choice really. I'm sure people have their own reasons.

I use the standard props for now as learning to fly the unit all new to me.. I've heard some bad reports on stock 10" blades giving up in flight.. But these are more forgiving if you tip over on the floor ect as a carbon prop will break too much money.. ect I've not crashed as yet... Famous last words LOL.. I don't have any kit on the F550 all standard once I'm confident I'll ad the camera. The good news if you buy the F55O you could buy a F450 frame later and change over when your fancy a bit of a wilder time flying. Again if you upgrade at a later date you could transfer the parts over as and when and have two birds Happy Days.

Don't want to influence you, just giving reasons why I went for the F550 and not the F450.

Vin

Totality

Thanks VIN. What batteries would you look at getting for the 550? Would you go for the 4S 5000 for max flight time?

VINHEX

I'm running 3S 3300 which gives me 7 Min, and a 3S 5000 which gives me 10/11 Min flights time. A lot of people use 4S on the F550. Again down to choice weight against time ect..

Vin

kloner

Aerial DP
on a f450 the 3s 4000-4400 or 4s in 3000 are great choices. 5000mah packs start needing 10" props to carry, adding a go pro starts taxing the power it comes with, etc. Next thing your like me, everything you bought to start is on a shelf and your in deep

my favorite batteries in order are
Gens-Ace
Turnigy
Sky lipo

turnigy come from hobbyking, gens ace and sky come from hobbypartz

Totality

Thanks. I have turnigy batteries already from the helicopter so will probably stay with turnigy. I reckon 3S 4000 with 10" Graupner or equivalent will be the way to go. Just need to find a supplier who ships overseas.

As the kit comes with 8" and 10" props I am going to just order some spare DJI ones with the kit and try both out. I have 2x 2200mah batteries and a converter to run them in parallel so will try it on a 8" and 10" setup and see how each goes. In theory with more kit on board, the 3S and 10" will be better so we shall see!

If anyone knows of a good stockist for Graupner or APC props (or any other good makes) I'll be happy to have a link. Hobbyking props seem a bit too cheap to me?

VINHEX

Little update,
I changed to the 8" props today with a 3s 5000 battery on, seemed to be more stable. Still no kit but much easier to Handel, for a newbie.

I spoke to Geoff at quadcopters.co.uk who builds these all the time as he suggested to use the 8" for some reason or another they do prefer the 8" prop. But I'm not sure if this is just he quality of the 10" as I was getting a hot motor.

Loads of people fly 10" and wouldn't change, I'm sticking with 8" for a while.

Totality

Hi guys,

Looking to place an order for some batteries. Decided on 4S 4-cell but what mah do people reckon? 2200, 2650, 3000 or more? I was thinking more 2200mah and put them in parallel but then decided that would probably be annoying having 5mins a battery and charging them multiple times! Better to go for bigger capacity ones that can be run in parallel only if needed (ie if carrying more gear or I move up to a F550 hex).

Was thinking 3000mah as they could be used on the F450 singularly for about 10mins and in parallel if needed on a F550 hex later on. Or do people reckon higher than 3000 for an F450 would be better?

Basically I want best performance on the F450 and batteries that I can carry forward to an F550 if and when I pick one up. I reckon 3000 is middle ground but happy to hear thoughts :)

Dreamweaver

Using 3s-2950 with frame only and get 9 mins with stock props and 10mins with graupner 10s...stock motors are hot but can hold them just.

That's in AZ summer temps.

Just saying that bigger motors might be needed for breaking the 10 min barrier if you live somewhere warm.

Dreamweaver

oh yeah...

Been reading up on motor upgrades and all of the 2212 and 2216 appear to recommend 3s for max thrust...so im not sure why alot of the 'pros' round here are running 4s...like you i'm only a couple of weeks into this.

Is there a good thread on motor rpm?

kloner

Aerial DP
the rpm is all about what props we got to work with. some folks like the 760kv with 10" props and 4s, other guys are going with 1200-1300kv motors, 8" props and 3s. 900-1000kv can do 10" on 3s and 8or 9" with 4s easily, even the stock motors

any electrical motor has a max watts. while some motor makers have a recomended amp draw and lipo cell count, it's not "mandatory" as long as you stay under the max watts which is voltage times amps. to do that is all about the prop size thats on it. your quad at 1600 gram would draw 180-200 watts in a hover split over 4 motors, with 4s on 1000kv motors and 9-10" props the fastest forward flight without increasing elevation on a naza in atti seems to be around 500-700 watts, add elevation increase. Split that up into 4 you get 125 to 175 watts a motor give or take 50 depending where cg is. so if i ran a motor that said it has 125 watts and for 3s but i put a 10s prop and run it on 4s, i'd probably be alright if i didn't push it. that setup would be happier on a 9" to get it down to a 500 watt max. 125 a motor.

The max watt rating is like a fuse, you go over and pow, it pops the motor.

Totality

on a f450 the 3s 4000-4400 or 4s in 3000 are great choices. 5000mah packs start needing 10" props to carry, adding a go pro starts taxing the power it comes with, etc. Next thing your like me, everything you bought to start is on a shelf and your in deep

my favorite batteries in order are
Gens-Ace
Turnigy
Sky lipo

turnigy come from hobbyking, gens ace and sky come from hobbypartz

Thanks for the tips. Placed an order for 2x 4S 3000 Turnigys. I already have 3x 3S 2200 Turnigys already so the plan is to compare them and see how I get on. Two batteries doesn't cost the earth but 1 isn't enough incase it turns out I prefer 4S and have to wait for more haha. The 4000mah 4S are the same price as the 4S 3000 for some reason but they are over 500g each so I decided against them due to weight/freight cost, etc.

Dewster

Hi,
In all the reviews I was looking at if you want a fun kit then the F450 is cool, if you want a stable kit for use of a camera ect. then the F550. It's down to choice really. I'm sure people have their own reasons.

I use the standard props for now as learning to fly the unit all new to me.. I've heard some bad reports on stock 10" blades giving up in flight.. But these are more forgiving if you tip over on the floor ect as a carbon prop will break too much money.. ect I've not crashed as yet... Famous last words LOL.. I don't have any kit on the F550 all standard once I'm confident I'll ad the camera. The good news if you buy the F55O you could buy a F450 frame later and change over when your fancy a bit of a wilder time flying. Again if you upgrade at a later date you could transfer the parts over as and when and have two birds Happy Days.

Don't want to influence you, just giving reasons why I went for the F550 and not the F450.

Vin

Props are very important in multirotors. Just having one break in flight can cause your craft to fall from the sky, especially with most of the non redundant configurations. APC props are very, very forgiving. I've had strikes on small bushes and grass and the props keep going. Becareful of the harder/brittle props (especially full carbon fiber ones). My Hexa crashed after one broke in flight costing me a lot of money. Luckily my flight system remained intact. The Naza or WKM with standard DJI 30 amp ESC are a good bet. No programming involved. I had 10 inch props on my Hexa. I also run them on my 450 with Avrotor motors (overkill..., but that's what was left from my Hexa crash lol.).

Anyway.. Have fun. DJI's products are pretty much plug and play. The only crash that I had with the flight system was when an expensive carbon fiber prop broke mid flight. I think the props are the number one reason for multirotor aircraft failures.

MEWERT

Sky Hero 700 Quad
I started flying my 450 as stock a month ago using 3s 2200mah sky lipos. I started with the 10" props and liked them, so I ordered some Gemfan carbons in 10-5. They are quite a bit stiffer and handle well. I read the 8" props were more for 4s, so I haven't tried them yet. They may be a bit better if that is possible. Right now am having a real time trying to get the GPS and DX8 set up and talking. Just joined here to find setup info. Good luck with yours.